Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 pm 

The time has come to replace the pads on my TRP Spyre SLCs. I'm looking into different pad types (specifically those offered by SwissStop) and I have a number of choices. After some reading into the benefits of each compound I'm at a bit of a loss, as most advice focuses on mountain bike pads.

Any general advice or scientific knowledge as to which compound is best for road use? I'm thinking specifically the avoidance of heat build-up and brake fade on long/fast descents with high brake usage.

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:56 pm 

I went through my OEM resin pads in about 1000mi. After every ride there was a large amount of brake dust on the front and back of my fork. If you do any sort of real descending, get semi-metallic (Disc E) or full-metallic (Disc S) pads. My sintered pads will probably last >3000 miles.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:20 pm 

I considered the same question but I was looking for maximum stopping power. All my research led me back to the the stock semi metallic pads. Also better for durability.

As for heat build up/fade, the heat created will be a direct consequence of the amount of braking force you apply. The heat can only go two places - into the rotor and into the pad. The difference between pad designs will be insignificant with perhaps the exception of the some of the finned options but I don't believe any of those will fit your Spyres. The choice of rotor may make a real difference. I have settle on Shimano IceTech. Generally bigger and heavier rotors will be better.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:24 pm 

I rode sintered in my TRP HyRds without issue and with an increase in stopping power.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:28 pm 

Mr.Gib wrote:
I considered the same question but I was looking for maximum stopping power. All my research led me back to the the stock semi metallic pads. Also better for durability.

As for heat build up/fade, the heat created will be a direct consequence of the amount of braking force you apply. The heat can only go two places - into the rotor and into the pad. The difference between pad designs will be insignificant with perhaps the exception of the some of the finned options but I don't believe any of those will fit your Spyres. The choice of rotor may make a real difference. I have settle on Shimano IceTech. Generally bigger and heavier rotors will be better.

Most logical answer here :up:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm 

TobinHatesYou wrote:
I went through my OEM resin pads in about 1000mi. After every ride there was a large amount of brake dust on the front and back of my fork. If you do any sort of real descending, get semi-metallic (Disc E) or full-metallic (Disc S) pads. My sintered pads will probably last >3000 miles.

Interesting. I got about 3k miles on my first set of resin pads with lots of aggressive descending. the second set seemed to wear out at about 2k miles. Just put new resin pads in, so will keep track of it.
I tried the metallic pads and they seemed like a performance improvement at first, but then they started squealing like a pig. May have to try them again now that I switched from the Ice Tech rotors :noidea:

Seems there are only two options for the Shimano 805 calipers?

Decent article:
http://road.cc/content/feature/176649-a ... brake-pads

Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:10 pm