Old or new

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Greg66

by Greg66

Interested to hear views on this.

Last night my R3SL was stolen. I’d had it exactly ten years and one day. I am very *f##k* off by this.

What do I replace it with?

Option A. Another identical R3SL. I can pull this off maybe. Pros: I know what I’m getting; I like what I’m getting; i like the shorter head tube on the old Cervelos; I have an SLC-SL and my inner OCD likes the semi-matching appearances and identical geos. Cons: a missed opportunity to try something newer and potentially better.

Option B: a 2011 R5. Pros: maybe lighter, maybe stiffer, mostly black and not a hideous Cervelo paint scheme. Cons: Different. Taller head tube.

Follow up: would you take this as an opportunity to upgrade to Campag 11s, or hunt down old 10s parts on eBay to replicate what has been lost? I am slowly coming round to 11s, but the shape of the 11s ergos is holding me back. I have 10s on my SLC-SL and 11s on my P3. There isn’t likely to be much wheel swapping between.

I don’t think my stolen R3SL is going to turn up, and I’ll be getting insurance money (but not enough to completely cover either option, due to the other bits in the build). Neither option is appreciably cheaper than the other though.

TonyM

by TonyM

If you really 200% loved it and all other options are not really appealing to you, buy the same (you may not be able to buy exactly the same in a few years if they change some of the specs...)- do maybe some upgrades (i.e. 11s, wheels) so that you have the best of both worlds!

If you just liked it then check other bikes/ frames as this is a good opportunity to upgrade the whole bike.

I personally change my bikes when there is a huge difference between old and new. 2 years ago because of the compact/ semi compact cranksets vs. 53/39 on my 25 y.o bikes. And Now for example for Di2 and disc brakes.

by Weenie

Delorre

by Delorre

Very sad for your 'old' and beloved r3sl, but time goes on, and if I were you, I would upgrade to the 2018 R5 (with again alower HT) and 11s Campa. If you intend to keep the replacement bike for as long as the old one, go fo for the newest models and tech, you won't regret it!!

AJS914

by AJS914

Go modern. I found 11 speed to be a lot nicer and smoother than 10. I prefer the 11 speed ergo lever shape.

Greg66

by Greg66

Delorre wrote:Very sad for your 'old' and beloved r3sl, but time goes on, and if I were you, I would upgrade to the 2018 R5 (with again alower HT) and 11s Campa. If you intend to keep the replacement bike for as long as the old one, go fo for the newest models and tech, you won't regret it!!

Unfortunately, there are some budgetary constraints that rule this (a 2018 R5 frame) out.

That said I was just poring over pictures of the current R5 and looking at its geo figures. The head tube is very short - in a 56cm frame, 151mm vs 160 for my R3SL and 173 for other Cervelo 56cms. But it looks like the designer took height out of the head tube by making the top of the fork taller (so very possible that the front end doesn’t drop overall). Any idea what the advantage of that is supposed to be?

Boshk

by Boshk

Greg66 wrote:Interested to hear views on this.

Last night my R3SL was stolen. I’d had it exactly ten years and one day. I am very *f##k* off by this.

What do I replace it with?

Option A. Another identical R3SL. I can pull this off maybe. Pros: I know what I’m getting; I like what I’m getting; i like the shorter head tube on the old Cervelos; I have an SLC-SL and my inner OCD likes the semi-matching appearances and identical geos. Cons: a missed opportunity to try something newer and potentially better.

Option B: a 2011 R5. Pros: maybe lighter, maybe stiffer, mostly black and not a hideous Cervelo paint scheme. Cons: Different. Taller head tube.

Follow up: would you take this as an opportunity to upgrade to Campag 11s, or hunt down old 10s parts on eBay to replicate what has been lost? I am slowly coming round to 11s, but the shape of the 11s ergos is holding me back. I have 10s on my SLC-SL and 11s on my P3. There isn’t likely to be much wheel swapping between.

I don’t think my stolen R3SL is going to turn up, and I’ll be getting insurance money (but not enough to completely cover either option, due to the other bits in the build). Neither option is appreciably cheaper than the other though.

Sorry to hear that, at least you have insurance. There isn't even a company here that will do 'cyclist' insurance.

Anyway, I'm assuming you are in US/UK, can you not demo a R5? Hear good things about it, actually R series in general.
Oltre XR3, Diverge DSW

uraqt

by uraqt

So I have rode the R3SL and 2011 cervelo R5. I fell in love the the R3SL around mile 100 ..never got the same feeling from the 2011 cervelo R5. I ride the previous R5(2015) and it's very close if not better then the R3SL it's not love but it's so close it might as well be.

The R3SL was lighter than the 2011 R5 but that wasn't the issue it was ride feel difference.

I would not recommend a used r3sl unless you know the frame ... it's to big of a risk

Can you take a look at the 2016 R5 in 54 ... I think the one size smaller might be very close to a 56 R3Sl... longer stem, different angel, 5 cm spacer ???? I think the stack and reach are close enough...

in a few weeks/month the price is going to drop.. they are already 1,000USD off at R&A cycles and Slane Cycles will drop their price too.

I would also go cheap on everything but frame... get the frame you love and if you have to ride the SLC-SL until you hunt/find for the R5 parts you want off ebay/sales/your olds spares.. odds and ends

C

That said not a fan of the new R5 and it's seat post.. limits the setback options .... they had to up the top of the fork for bigger tire clearance I think read that in one of the reviews when it was announced

morganb

by morganb

Greg66 wrote:
Delorre wrote:Very sad for your 'old' and beloved r3sl, but time goes on, and if I were you, I would upgrade to the 2018 R5 (with again alower HT) and 11s Campa. If you intend to keep the replacement bike for as long as the old one, go fo for the newest models and tech, you won't regret it!!

Unfortunately, there are some budgetary constraints that rule this (a 2018 R5 frame) out.

That said I was just poring over pictures of the current R5 and looking at its geo figures. The head tube is very short - in a 56cm frame, 151mm vs 160 for my R3SL and 173 for other Cervelo 56cms. But it looks like the designer took height out of the head tube by making the top of the fork taller (so very possible that the front end doesn’t drop overall). Any idea what the advantage of that is supposed to be?

Taller axle to crown for better tire clearance on the fork.

Greg66

by Greg66

uraqt wrote:So I have rode the R3SL and 2011 cervelo R5. I fell in love the the R3SL around mile 100 ..never got the same feeling from the 2011 cervelo R5. I ride the previous R5(2015) and it's very close if not better then the R3SL it's not love but it's so close it might as well be.

The R3SL was lighter than the 2011 R5 but that wasn't the issue it was ride feel difference.

I would not recommend a used r3sl unless you know the frame ... it's to big of a risk

Can you take a look at the 2016 R5 in 54 ... I think the one size smaller might be very close to a 56 R3Sl... longer stem, different angel, 5 cm spacer ???? I think the stack and reach are close enough...

in a few weeks/month the price is going to drop.. they are already 1,000USD off at R&A cycles and Slane Cycles will drop their price too.

I would also go cheap on everything but frame... get the frame you love and if you have to ride the SLC-SL until you hunt/find for the R5 parts you want off ebay/sales/your olds spares.. odds and ends

C

That said not a fan of the new R5 and it's seat post.. limits the setback options .... they had to up the top of the fork for bigger tire clearance I think read that in one of the reviews when it was announced

Thank you. That is very useful. I am talking to RA about the R3SL they have, which is currently fully built and whether they will reduce it to a frame set. If they will, then I think I will go for that and build it as 11s.

KeithRichards

by KeithRichards

Sorry for your loss, I like the old Cervelos because of the lower head height and the threaded bottom brackets. If you get a new bike maybe take some time afterwards and keep a search on ebay for another one. A few years back I scored my 2009 R3SL frameset for right aroound $300 and was very surprised how clean the frame was when it arrived, virtually spotless. Good Luck with new bike search!

by Weenie

eric01

by eric01

Had an original r3 and sold it. Regret it a little bit.

I recommend "new". I had dura ace 7800 on the r3 and now 9000/9100. 9000 is a noticeable step up from 7800.

Frame wise - get out there and test ride. Whether it's via local bike shop or riding buddies. For me that's always one of more fun bits of buying a new bike -- just shopping around. Especially if you have your slc which you can continue to ride
AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium