Red 22 ( 2016) b-bolt issue (?)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

Noriced recently slight play on b-bolt. Red22 rd, around 2000km, short cage. Checked other rd's @home ( DA, Ultegra R800 )- there's not any kind of play there.

Question ; is it beggining of the end, or just such design ( spring-less for Red ) ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

pyrahna

by pyrahna

stormur wrote:Noriced recently slight play on b-bolt. Red22 rd, around 2000km, short cage. Checked other rd's @home ( DA, Ultegra R800 )- there's not any kind of play there.

Question ; is it beggining of the end, or just such design ( spring-less for Red ) ?

SRAM road rear derailleurs are a different basic design than Shimanos. They do not have a spring in the b-knuckle. The tension is based completely off the chain tensioner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Not sure how the b bolt can develop play. It is just a bolt in a thread pushing aginst the hanger. The pivots of the parallelogram can develop play but i have not experienced this personally. I have personally had 3 sram rear derailleurs develop significant play on the axle of the pulley cage - 1 to failure (which killed a lightweight meilenstein), all had poor shifting across part of the cassette range as a symptom.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stormur

by stormur

i don't mention non existant spring tension, rather play side-by-side. other rd's sit firm on hanger, Red has tiny play.
Mark Twain

pyrahna

by pyrahna

stormur wrote:i don't mention non existant spring tension, rather play side-by-side. other rd's sit firm on hanger, Red has tiny play.

There should not be any side to side play from the hanger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Sorry foe sarcasm, but just have to ; BLESSED THOSE WHO READ WITH UNDERSTANDING.

Quotting myself : "slight play on b-bolt " B-bolt, NOT hanger.

PS : problem solved, derailleur replaced /warranty.
Mark Twain