"improving" Campy EPS switching. Anyone with a non-functional Campy shifter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

I've realized I've been using my Campy EPS SR V2 bike less and less. The reason is simple, in the hilly area I live in, on a typical 50miles ride, I shift 800-900 times. It bothers me to much to move my hands from the top of the handlebar to the hoods that many times.

Disclaimer; I am not saying EPS needs to be improved for everyone. I clearly do not know how to use the hoods/shifters, and need to be spoiled with the shifters on the top of the handlebar (like Shimano and SRAM does.)

I opened up the shifter and took the "electronic component" out

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmELerXy0Rtoh-lJvUz3u8AszCrJOw

Actually I can hardly call this an "electronic component" since it is a simple board with three contact switches (in the picture you see two, the third one is on the other side.) Each switch (up/down/program) is connected to a common wire, and its own wire. So there are four wires there.

I want to splice these wires so that I can add my own contact switches (on the handle bar and on the horns, like Shimano's sprint/climber shifters).

The problem is the entire contraption is enclosed in some sort of resin, and I cannot verify (see) which wire is the common one, without destroying it (I think I can melt the resin away.) So, if you have a broken shifter, instead of throwing it away, would you please send it over to me?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uraqt

by uraqt

I can't help you directly, have you tried the patent offices? I think there were post here about that and maybe that would be on Campy patents?

C

2old4this

by 2old4this

I did try patents as well. It is easy to find the ones fro DI2 and eTAP. No such luck with EPS.

From the board, it is easy to see the common contact (I've marked it with a red arrow in the picture.) I just do not know which wire is connected to it. I do not want to splice two wrong ones and get something damaged (actually it probably won't hurt anything but why take chances...)