2018 Giant tcr advanced pro 1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Enowak

by Enowak

I'm new to weight weenies but have used the forum before as a visitor. Glad to finally join.
Anyway I've been trying to find a review on the 2018 giant tcr advanced pro 1. I'm really curious how it stands up to the 2016 as far as weight and performance etc.
Thanks in advance for any information.

damond

by damond

The frame, wheelset and pretty much every other components are exactly the same as in 2016.

Only real difference would be the Ultegra 6800 vs Ultegra R8000 in terms of perfomance since i believe the weight difference between 6800 and R8000 will be basically none.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Enowak

by Enowak

damond wrote:The frame, wheelset and pretty much every other components are exactly the same as in 2016.

Only real difference would be the Ultegra 6800 vs Ultegra R8000 in terms of perfomance since i believe the weight difference between 6800 and R8000 will be basically none.

Thank you much appreciated!!

Stickman

by Stickman

Enowak wrote:I'm new to weight weenies but have used the forum before as a visitor. Glad to finally join.
Anyway I've been trying to find a review on the 2018 giant tcr advanced pro 1. I'm really curious how it stands up to the 2016 as far as weight and performance etc.
Thanks in advance for any information.

I took one for a 10-15 minute test ride yesterday. Can't compare to the 2016 but these were my thoughts if they help:
The Large I rode weighed 7.45kg without pedals, but including Aussie legal reflectors (front, rear and wheels) and bell.

Initially it felt just kind of okay, but when i gave it a bit of extra leg input the bike really shot forwards in a way my alloy endurance bike just doesn't do. Mind you it does weigh almost 10kg so not apples to apples. Pedalling out of the saddle was the same - input = acceleration. It was quite addictive!
The carbon wheels felt great, and repeated hard brake testing produced no squeal. They just worked again and again. No need to think, just brake, which is how brakes should be.
It did feel very "focused" ie less than 100km might be okay but longer than that might be an issue. That could just be me though.

The 2018 range have an 11-30 cassette so just a bit easier for us spinners than an 11-28. With that, I think I could cope with the 52-36 (coming from a 50-34).

Thenuge

by Thenuge

I don’t think there’s much difference but the 2018 Advanced Pro is really sweet. Probably the best bang for the buck race bike you can buy IMO.

damond

by damond

Stickman wrote:It did feel very "focused" ie less than 100km might be okay but longer than that might be an issue. That could just be me though.

Last week i rode my 2017 TCR adv SL on a 247km ride on Thursday, 100km on Friday and 272km on Saturday. No issues whatsoever in what concerns to comfort!

alpinestar

by alpinestar

I have a Pro 1 2016 model, I bought the frameset and move my champy record on to that. Amazing bike, the acceleration is incredible, and much more aero then you would think. I used to ride a Cervelo S2 (from 2012) and this TCR is at least as aero, but much much stiffer. The frame is super super nice! :) Mine is is about 6,8kg

Highly recomended! :)

bobzz

by bobzz

owned 2016 tcr advanced pro and now on a 2017 tcr advanced SL

Amazing bike, Giant TCR is without a doubt best bang for your buck bike in my opinion. I didnt used their wheelset cant comment on that but they do have good reputation.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

REGICYCLE

by REGICYCLE

I own the 2017 Advanced Pro 1 and love it! The frame is very stiff and great for acceleration, although it can be a tad harsh on rough roads (In saying that i have done plenty of gravel rides with no problems). The wheelset is great to ride and braking in the dry is excellent. In the wet the braking performance decreases substantially but is still predictable. I can't comment on tubeless compatibility as I use tubes, but getting both GP4000sII's and Vittoria Corsa G+'s can be a bit of a struggle. The stock saddle isn't very padded but still more comfortable than anything else i have tried.
Would fully recommend this bike!!!