Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:35 pm 

Does anyone have any more detail that CyclingTips didn't have on the new Time road pedals?

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/09/interbi ... day-three/

Look like they might have worked to address the issues with the Xpresso pedal.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:33 pm 

what issues?

Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:33 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:28 pm 

the main issue with time is the cleats, not the pedals.

2017 Giant TCR Advanced SL 0 DI2 9150

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:53 pm 

Attermann wrote:
what issues?

Looks like they may have smoothed out some of the rough edges that some folks have said will gouge your leg if you miss clipping in properly and fumble around on them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:01 am 

Attermann wrote:
what issues?

Found this on the Fiets.nl forum: user LCSMET

"Received information from Time Sport's export manager in response to my question as to whether Time stopped manufacturing / selling their RXS pedals, which unfortunately was answered in the affirmative.

Hello,

We had few problems in the past with XPRESSO but a lot of modifications have been made last year and we will introduce a new model on January 2018 called XPRO pedals.

Wishing you good ride,
Best regards,

Christine Collin
Export Manager
Time SPORT INTERNATIONAL
725 rue Aristide Bergès - 38340 VOREPPE - France"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 pm 

would be nice with and explantion of which problems, my father and i have used them for 4 years, my father broke on pedal, that's the only thing that has happened.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 pm 

There's a very long thread here on WW detailing some of the issues users have had with the Xpresso. Maybe some of the issues expressed in that are among those Time have tried to address.

As always, Time will tell.... or will they?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:47 pm 

The main issue I had was that the outboard bearings were bushings and these wore out quickly. However with the last pair of pedals I bought Time had addressed this by replacing the bushings with needle roller bearings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:52 pm 

I did that with one of mine too, what tool did you use to take the plastic nut off?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:54 pm 

Hawkwood wrote:
The main issue I had was that the outboard bearings were bushings and these wore out quickly. However with the last pair of pedals I bought Time had addressed this by replacing the bushings with needle roller bearings.

Is this what made the Xpresso pedals having some bearing play quite fast?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:51 am 

TonyM wrote:
Hawkwood wrote:

Is this what made the Xpresso pedals having some bearing play quite fast?

Yes, the outboard bushings were nylon or similar and these seemed to wear. The inboard bearings were bearings, these could get gritty and also wear, but were easily replaceable. The fix with the bushings was simply to replace them with 3-4 mini-bearings per pedal. Some reviews knocked Time pedals on the basis that it wasn't possible to service them, clearly the reviewers hadn't spent five minutes with a wrench to check.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:54 am 

Attermann wrote:
I did that with one of mine too, what tool did you use to take the plastic nut off?

If you mean how did I unscrew the plastic bearing cover that holds the pedal together, I used a vice-grip (mole) wrench set to just lightly grip the plastic nut.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 am 

More than 30.000 kms on a pair of Xpresso 2 without any issue...except the cleat change...i'm waiting for the new Xpro...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:46 am 

I was a big fan of Time, since i used their pedals in my MTB days (before i switched to CranBrothers EggBeaters..), and they were understructable and also cleats was lasting forever..

So bought Time Xpresso 10 and could not say im satisfied..

So what i hope they adressed:

- Cleats lasted between 500 - 1000 km (now im using Look Keo Blade 2 Ti, 3050 km on same pair of cleats in same conditions and still working. Im sure i'll get at least 3500 km or 4000 km with same pair).

- I dont like the I-Click. U hear the click, and u discover sometimes that u are not clicked in

- The plastic screw from the side is too fragile.. I tried to adjust the lateral float using screw driver, that bolt was almost ripped off..

- Once i tried to bunny hop some metal thing on the road, and both feet were un cliped in the air.. That was scarry..

- Also when i was pushing on the hills sometimes i got also uncliped..

So i switched to Look Keo and really satisfied for now.. Hope the Time will adress this issues in the new model and become what they were once..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:09 am 
Administrator

The evolution of pedals.

I rode xpresso 12's for about 5 years, same pair. They did require new cleats here and there and bearing replacement twice. Bushing about 3 times. Loved they way the engaged and release. Then after 5 years they finally wore out, about 30,000 miles. They were great for their weight but I decided to try something new. I went with Look Keo max blades 2. Overall a nice pedal but many times when going to engage to the pedal they would be upside down requiring me to flip them over. 6 months later more of the same issue, I thought I would get used to them. Then a car hit me on August 24, 2017 damaging slightly one pedal and added even more weight by replacing them. :shock: I went to Dura Ace 9100 pedals.They also trashed bottle cages and the paramedics did cut off m jersey and arm warmers.Today will be my first official ride on them since my neurologist said if I had no issues with riding a week on a trainer I could go outside. Today is that day,

It still be another few weeks or more before they let me drive my car due to the two hemoriages I had in my brain. FWIW, the driver was totally at fault and ticketed but being the cyclist hit I loose.

Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:09 am