Vibrating feeling in crank and pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

After the brake rub with my rear Enve wheel i have another problem with my new BMC Slr01 2018.
At certain times i have a vibrating feeling in my crank and pedals. I feel it really good in my feet.
First thing i checked where my pedals because i already rode 15000 with them but they seem to look good
What could this be?

- bb => bb86 ceramic speed coated (new)
- crank = SRM shimano 9000 power meter with ‘new’ 9000 chainrings 39/53
- groupset => ‘new’ dura ace 9150
- ‘new’ enve wheels with enve hub
- Shop deinstalled the normal hanger and installed the direct mount hanger for my rear derailleur

joejack951

by joejack951

Very likely just new chain meshing with brand new chainrings and cassette cogs. It should smooth out after a few rides if it follows my experience with new drivetrains.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Did you end up getting the brake rub fixed on your Enve? Alot of annoying issues for such a new bike :(

ODC

by ODC

joejack951 wrote:Very likely just new chain meshing with brand new chainrings and cassette cogs. It should smooth out after a few rides if it follows my experience with new drivetrains.

And what are anfew rides?
Did already 700km with the bike but the feeling is still there.

jobvisser

by jobvisser

ODC wrote:
joejack951 wrote:Very likely just new chain meshing with brand new chainrings and cassette cogs. It should smooth out after a few rides if it follows my experience with new drivetrains.

And what are anfew rides?
Did already 700km with the bike but the feeling is still there.

A few rides would be 200km, try lubing the chain and jockey wheels, check if rear derailleur is aligned and if that does fix it try spinning the cranks without a chain on it and check if the pedals are smooth
---> :oops: Send me a pm to order world's lightest low carbon fiber dust covers! (1g) :oops: <---

Xyfas

by Xyfas

1. check the rear derailleur hanger alignment.
2. make sure the chain is threaded properly through the cogs.
3. check for grime/dirt in the chain, derailleur, cogs.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Certain times needs to be defined.

Is it in a particular gear?

Are there times when you don't feel the vibration?

What about putting a lot of load on the pedals compared to almost no load? (pushing hard/easy)

Does the vibration make a noise?

Are you possibly crosschained? Big ring - big cogw or small ring small cogs?

Check your wheels/cassette/pedals/crank for side to side play.

Are you familiar how to set the cable tension on a rear derailleur? (indexing)

Clues... give as many as possible. Is the vibration lower sometimes and higher other times? When? What are you then doing on the bike?

/a

ODC

by ODC

alcatraz wrote:Certain times needs to be defined.

Is it in a particular gear?

Are there times when you don't feel the vibration?

What about putting a lot of load on the pedals compared to almost no load? (pushing hard/easy)

Does the vibration make a noise?

Are you possibly crosschained? Big ring - big cogw or small ring small cogs?

Check your wheels/cassette/pedals/crank for side to side play.

Are you familiar how to set the cable tension on a rear derailleur? (indexing)

Clues... give as many as possible. Is the vibration lower sometimes and higher other times? When? What are you then doing on the bike?

/a

I have it on the 39 and on the 53 and on every gear.
It is more noticeable when putting more power onto the pedals. When push!ng very very easy i can’t really feel it. Also i feel it more on roads with new asphalt
No cable tension because it’s the electronic version
No play on the crank and pedals. Would be strange because they are new.
I have a little bit of play at my back wheel but not more then my other wheels.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

All I can think of is chain/cassette issues + rear wheel hub.

Borrow another rear wheel quick and see if it's still there. Preferably with a different cassette. Cassette/freehub/spokes might reveal some issue. Just find one gear that indexes correctly and do some testing in only that gear. Means even 10/9 speed wheels could perhaps be tested.

For example, I had a vibrating chain that was wearing out unevenly so checking chain stretch seemed all fine. But it still jumped and popped a bit every revolution. Possible the installer put an old chain on by mistake?

/a

Cleaner

by Cleaner

Check the chain-ring bolts and that the rings are seated correctly on the spider. I have seen loose bolts allow the chain ring to wobble and at a high cadence this could feel like a vibration. Check it in a work stand while turning the cranks by hand, if this is the issue you will hear and feel it in the stand.

ODC

by ODC

My elite drivo is going to be delivered next week. That will be a good test to see and feel if the vibrations are still there when my rear wheel is removed.
If not then it’s gonna be a wheel/casette problem.
I think the problem is more at the crank because + i feel the vibration a lot more at the drive side then the non drive side.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

This is interesting, because it sounds like I have the exact same issue on my commuter/gravel bike. In my case it certainly wasn't the crankset/chainring, because I've changed that and it didn't do anything. It feels like something to do with the bearings, but they're fairly new and BSA (easy install) so I doubt it.

Curious if you can figure it out!

ODC

by ODC

Maybe something worth mentioning is that i have never felt it when pushing power while standing on my pedals (out of the saddle).

sp3000

by sp3000

Check the cassette lock ring is tight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com