Do you use a saddle bag?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Do you use a saddle bag?

Yes (Stop here)
48%
No (select reasons below)
17%
Rule 29 is Rule 29! Saddle bag is not cool!
8%
I can fit everything I need in my jersey pockets.
21%
There is no saddle bag out there that meets my needs.
2%
It doesn't match my bike.
1%
Other reason (if you don't mind, please respond with your reason).
3%

Total votes: 131

ergott

by ergott

I laugh when people take those rules seriously. They are supposed to be satire.

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

No bag, but I carry a co2, valve and a 30ml bottle of orange sealant. All items are tucked into a homemade holder between the saddle rails.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

RTW wrote:Why are you all using co2? I can't get my head around this. It takes 3 - 5 minutes to pump up a tube with a mini pump, and it is so much less damaging to the environment. Are you all racing?! Besides, most of you need the upper body workout this gives!

speed. i also carry a hand pump for a quick fill so i don't get the tube pinched by tire bead. i use the CO2 to get back on the road faster. mini pumps never seem to inflate like CO2.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

mvnsnd wrote:
CO2 is not damaging to the environment. You're thinking Carbon monoxide, CO. CO2 is what we exhale and vegetation converts back to oxygen. Plus CO2 is more portable and quicker.

And yes, I do use a saddle bag with 2 CO2 cartridges , a spare tube, tire levers and a shop rag.

:shock: :lol: Plants try to convert CO2 into Oxygen, but humans release more of it than plants can cope with. That's why there is a global issue.

Anyway, the co2 in the canister isn't really the point. The point is the energy consumed to make the canister, put the CO2 in it, ship it to the store and then to you, then for that metal canister to then be either recycled or thrown out. All to save someone having to use a minipump they already have to pump up a tyre because it is too much physical work on a ride which they are probably using as a method to get physical exercise. Ironic and wasteful. But that's just my opinion. I mend tubes too, try to drive efficiently and try to reduce what I consume.

bilwit

by bilwit

RTW wrote:Why are you all using co2? I can't get my head around this. It takes 3 - 5 minutes to pump up a tube with a mini pump, and it is so much less damaging to the environment. Are you all racing?! Besides, most of you need the upper body workout this gives!

A pump takes up way more space for something not needed 9 times out of 10.

I think it's the same mindset between saddlebag or pockets.. The saddlebag will add anywhere between 30g to 90g but pocket space to me is more valuable than weight or aesthetic, I hate having them stuffed with things other than the essentials (wallet, phone, keys) unless absolutely needed (rain cape, food, etc).
Last edited by bilwit on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arnoud

by Arnoud

I am a SILCA user as well.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

sawyer

by sawyer

No i don't use one

Given you can get an inner tube/spare tub, everything to fix it, keys, bank card, keys, phone and gels if needed in the back pockets, plus a couple of allen keys if necessary, I don't see the need for a saddle bag.

WWism ... it's all in the little things ... like carrying the one or two allen keys you actually might need rather than a multi-tool

Or leaving your house keys hidden rather than taking them

Or taking half a can of latex rather than a full one
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

PLuKE

by PLuKE

I must admit, I carry no tools, that’s what my wife is for to rescue her dearly beloved!

On long rides up to 100 miles, I carry a couple of tools between me and my ride partner.

Luke

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Dont use em cos
1) Cut off plastic bottle is cheaper and will also hold rain cape
2) On long rides we always stop so its easy to refill a 750ml water bottle
3) The velcro on many seatbags cuts into the bibshorts
4) Paying 50 Euros for a Silca seat roll is having a giraffe.

JScycle

by JScycle

Do you carry a tube or a spare tubular?

naylor343

by naylor343

I carry: 2 tubes, mini pump, 2 levers, patches, connex quick link, spare contact lenses, 20 euros & my iPhone. All in a cut off water bottle.

Living in the Pyrenees, it is so easy to ride anywhere with just a single bottle as road side drinking water is so easily available.

The tubes, phone & levers are contained within a pouch that has the pump attached. This fits into the cut off bottle with the small items loose in the bottom. This allows the pouch to be removed and fitted beneath my saddle if I am in a region that I do not know well or has little water.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

After a few years of bikepacking I prefer carrying a bottle in the back cage. If ride is over 200km then I like a fuel tank, saddle bag only a 13 liter variety for sleeping bag, tarp or hammock.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

mvnsnd wrote:

CO2 is not damaging to the environment. You're thinking Carbon monoxide, CO. CO2 is what we exhale and vegetation converts back to oxygen. Plus CO2 is more portable and quicker.

And yes, I do use a saddle bag with 2 CO2 cartridges , a spare tube, tire levers and a shop rag.

Pretty sure what he was getting at is the wastefulness due to disposable nature of co2 cartridges, not the content of the canister itself.

That said, whether I carry a saddle bag depends on which bike I'm riding , the route , duration , intent , etc.

Short rides...tubeless...or friendly group rides ...? Chances are low
Solo rides... Long rides... Competitive rides... Etc? Chances are high I need to have self sufficiency

Forgot the brand but the saddle bag is tiny. 1 lever, a glueless patch kit, multitool, 1 innertube, 1 co2 - is the standard kit. 250g or so. May vary kit content again depending on ride.

LionelB

by LionelB

No saddle bag. There is a spare tubular there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ozrider

by Ozrider

I use an Arundel Uno - a tube, tyre levers and CO2 inflators.
It is small and tucks neatly under the saddle.
I like keeping my jersey pockets free of unnecessary bulk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done