ENVE SES 4.5 with ENVE hub => brake rub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

damond

by damond

sure, but still trying to find the origin of the problem without even knowing the user's weight doesn't make much sense to me!

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

I've been riding Enve 3.4 clinchers with DT Swiss 240 Hubset for a while and found that I had to increasingly open the brakes until I could no longer hear brake rub on climbs. I was really surprised, because I hardly had any brake left. I've subsequently heard the same from others locally here.

I don't know if Enve has addressed this issue with the 4.5 but I certainly hope so. The Aeolus is far less prone to brake rub by comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

damond wrote:I am surprised no one as yet asked the main (basic) question: how much do you weight and how much power do you output?

1m93 and max 75kg => 165lbs???
Power output doesn’t really matter. I can get Rub without power just by letting the bike go the left and right in a certain angle while riding.

kavitator

by kavitator

Zipp has study on brake rubbing and stiffness.
Stiffer wheel has more moving at brakepads.

There is article on internet

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

StradaJon wrote:What Ergott says - the CX Ray is not strong enough. We use a thicker gauge spoke now on all ENVE road builds, especially tubeless ready rims.

Yup. My first Enve wheels were stock Enve builds with 240 hubs and CX-Ray spokes.

I have a few new sets with White T11 hubs and DT Race db spokes - much better.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

kavitator wrote:http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunking_Wheel_Stiffness_3449.html

Great article. Thanks!

Lookryder

by Lookryder

kavitator wrote:http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunking_Wheel_Stiffness_3449.html

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve had a pair of enve 4.5s for the past 2 seasons and never had an issue with brake rub that I’ve noticed. Stock build with dtswiss 240s.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Very nice and interesting article on wheel stifness.
Great!!!

kode54

by kode54

if there is side-to-side play in the rear wheel...does that mean that the bearing races are shot? in one of my Enve carbon hubs, i have similar side to side play. skewers are tight. when i pinch my fingers where the hub is and the outer caps, i can feel the axle move when i move the wheel back and forth.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ENVE 7.8 with ENVE hubs and I get brake and chainstay rub. Switching to a 23mm tire took care of the chainstay rub but brake rub still occurs. DS tension confirmed at an avg of 110. My personal opinion reflects what I've read here from the wheel builders that have chimed in on this thread; bracing angle and spoke flex.

Question for ergott or stradajon: Would the CX-Sprint be strong enough or do I need to switch to a non aero spoke for the DS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

ergott

by ergott

CX-Sprint and DT Aero Comp are equivalent to Sapim Race and DT Competitions respectively. They should help. Honestly, a different hub would make a bigger difference. Nothing beats the Wheels Mfg hub for this. Better bracing angles and also better bearing placement so there's less unsupported axle. It's like going from a square taper crank/BB to outboard BB setup.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ergott wrote:CX-Sprint and DT Aero Comp are equivalent to Sapim Race and DT Competitions respectively. They should help. Honestly, a different hub would make a bigger difference. Nothing beats the Wheels Mfg hub for this. Better bracing angles and also better bearing placement so there's less unsupported axle. It's like going from a square taper crank/BB to outboard BB setup.

I agree but with the carbon hub investment already made, I would prefer to make this setup work and keep the Alchemy or Carbon-Ti X-Hub Road SP option for the next build. Thank you for your valued input, I will likely go with CX-Sprints for the DS on the 7.8 rear.
Last edited by VTR1000SP2 on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

ergott

by ergott

Since the spacing is narrower on the Enve hub and low tension on the left isn't an issue, I'd recommend Sprints on both sides of rear wheel. Only a 25g bump in weight. Should definitely help current situation.

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

ergott wrote:Since the spacing is narrower on the Enve hub and low tension on the left isn't an issue, I'd recommend Sprints on both sides of rear wheel. Only a 25g bump in weight. Should definitely help current situation.

Any thoughts on berd polymer spokes? http://www.berdspokes.com/
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com