Eddy Merckx Bikes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Hey guys,

Hoping to get some advice on a couple bikes I'm looking at by Eddy Merckx. Obviously I know the rider but not super familiar with his bikes and or how they ride. The ones I'm looking at are a

Sallanches 64
Mournex 69

Both are fully built up with Shimano 105.

Wondering if anyone familiar with these bikes and or the brand in general can talk more about them. Thanks!
Looks like I made a new 90 Proof friend

JensNL

by JensNL

Eddy Merckx filed for bankrupcy. The tradename is bought by Ridley (another Belgium brand). All other assets, amongst other the bikes, are sold.

http://road.cc/content/news/224757-ridl ... ckx-cycles

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Oh.....well that's interesting and puts a little damper on my excitement. Still interested in hearing about the bikes though :)

AJS914

by AJS914

Looks like a lot of bike for the money if you ride a large:

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/eddy-me ... ite-silver

dj97223

by dj97223

JensNL wrote:Eddy Merckx filed for bankrupcy. The tradename is bought by Ridley (another Belgium brand). All other assets, amongst other the bikes, are sold.

http://road.cc/content/news/224757-ridl ... ckx-cycles

The article doesn't say anything about bankruptcy.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Trust me it has.
Ridley did buy the brandname and plans are to turn into a 'boutique'-like brand in 2 years time.
Minimizing the range to 3 models, a bit like Factor or Pinarello if you like.

TLa

by TLa

Eddy Merckx wasn't bankrupted.

About a decade ago, Eddy sold his company to some investors (almost bankrupt back then, sponsoring a world tour team is expensive)
The investors never got the brand profitable, hence is why the sold it (to Ridley)

I've had 2 Merckx bikes. A steel Gara (absolute great bike, had ik for 10 years), then an Aluminium one, don't remember the name (not so good, really harsh ride and not stiff at all)

No idea how the current carbon bikes stack up.

SolidSnake03

by SolidSnake03

Interesting discussion on this, it does look like there are some really good deals if you can find them in stock. Sadly the large won't fit me, I'm 5'8 and usually ride a 52-53 or a small depending on brand. Ridley I'm an Extra-Small but that's just because their sizing is weird...

Anyhow, it will be interesting to keep an eye on the brand for the future to see how they (Ridley) change things up.

I do like the look of their carbon stuff, looks a bit more solid and beefy which I actually prefer over the rail thin stuff.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

For my2018 most will stay the same.
For my2019 they will play the retro-heritage card with custom made steel frames + 2 to 3 very high end carbon frames.

spookyload

by spookyload

Eddy Merckx being a Performance Bike house brand is all you need to know. As they sell bikes from certain distributors, the link to Fuji, Marin and Diamondback can't be that far. Oh yeah, they sold Ridley too, but haven't seen them since Merckx was in stock.

Asscdi

by Asscdi

For those who have any doubts, Merckx cycling is still alive.
It's correct that the owner of Ridley has bought Merckx and for sentimental reasons (for us Belgians a brand name like Merckx is still something special) the company will be relaunched again in the second half of 2018. Focus will be on customization of bikes (build and paint job) which can already noticed with the latest special editions.

It's a good endurance bike with excellent (light) frame. I have a Sallanches64 myself and bought it before the di2 version was on the market.
Overall I found the bike a bit heavy with the 105 groupset and entry Shimano wheelset. So upgrading the bike now with new wheels, seat and seatpost as we speak.
I would love to go even a step further and replace the 105 by Ultegra di2 which would result into a 7.3 kg bike, ready for any challenge.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com