2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dsweeney33

by Dsweeney33

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:06 pm
Dsweeney33 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:11 pm

DartanianX - Any word on a Ultralight version of the S-Works disc?
I doubt they will bother considering how far off weight targets all of their rim-brake Ultralights have been.
I have not seen (or heard) any issues regarding the off weight target of the Ultralight frameset. Can you direct this thread to any article(s) or information?

I actually currently I own a 61cm Ultralight - which is currently up for sale on eBay by my LBS (The Bicycle Shop - State College, PA) so that I can purchase a Tarmac disc and move towards an all disc brake bike stable. I personally found the rim brake version of the Tarmac S-Works Ultralight freakishly light and very stiff. Heck, I like it so much I want to buy the ultralight disc brake variant of it, if possible.

Here is the link to the rim brake frameset: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarmac-S-Works ... OSwPGpadg3~

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Dsweeney33 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:30 pm

I have not seen (or heard) any issues regarding the off weight target of the Ultralight frameset. Can you direct this thread to any article(s) or information?

I actually currently I own a 61cm Ultralight - which is currently up for sale on eBay by my LBS (The Bicycle Shop - State College, PA) so that I can purchase a Tarmac disc and move towards an all disc brake bike stable. I personally found the rim brake version of the Tarmac S-Works Ultralight freakishly light and very stiff. Heck, I like it so much I want to buy the ultralight disc brake variant of it, if possible.

Here is the link to the rim brake frameset: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tarmac-S-Works ... OSwPGpadg3~
Sift through: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143539

Most 56cm Ultralights seem to end up over 800g, with some even creeping around 850g. Specialized has quickly backed off from advertising the weight of the UL at 733g.

spartan

by spartan

did you guys read this article?

going forward most tarmac complete bikes will be disc only

“We are going to stop selling full rim-brake road bikes, and will only sell them as framesets,” says Specialized PR spokesman Sean Estes.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... int-51685/
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

tonyscouse

by tonyscouse

My LBS just told me Spech should say something about it at the next Paris-Nice.

TonyM

by TonyM

tonyscouse wrote:My LBS just told me Spech should say something about it at the next Paris-Nice.
Paris-Nice starts on March 4th....

Specialized is really taking longggggg....

Feddesman

by Feddesman

tonyscouse wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 pm
My LBS just told me Spech should say something about it at the next Paris-Nice.
Lets hope so...

Roentgun

by Roentgun

DartanianX wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:42 am
TonyM wrote:Then you have to hope that your LBS pre ordered some in your size and that they are not already sold to some customers (who may have placed a pre order).....I placed for example a pre order in October last year at my LBS....
Seeing as the ability for your LBS to actually place pre orders only opened this week globally - you’d hope that the guys who took your order got in early enough to secure the pre order you placed in October. You’d hate to have your store mis out but the one across town was quicker and had one or two in your size sitting on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My understanding is that pre-orders are not available globally. Went by my LBS yesterday and they still aren't on the site. Still no word from our Rep for USA release. Guess the wait continues...

TonyM

by TonyM

Roentgun wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:49 pm
My understanding is that pre-orders are not available globally. Went by my LBS yesterday and they still aren't on the site. Still no word from our Rep for USA release. Guess the wait continues...
Yes, I have been informed from my LBS that the pre orders are currently only available in some countries :?

Feddesman

by Feddesman

Alex2012 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:24 am
Stumbled upon these on insta:

https://instagram.com/p/Be7l7otnpcG/

https://instagram.com/p/Be7lPYanXX9/

14th March it would appear
Nice !

TonyM

by TonyM

Finally! Good!

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

bas wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:14 am
(...) Apparently coming with the SWorks dual sided power meter, di2, same price as rim brake model
This is pretty huge news. Where did you hear this? Getting the disc version of this bike, with one of the best power meters on the market (at least that's what I've read about the 4iiii/Specialized power meter that has been rumored for months now) for the same price as the rim brake model...? That is crazy. Really hope this is true!

dcorn

by dcorn

Torbjorn wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49 pm
bas wrote:
(...) Apparently coming with the SWorks dual sided power meter, di2, same price as rim brake model
This is pretty huge news. Where did you hear this? Getting the disc version of this bike, with one of the best power meters on the market (at least that's what I've read about the 4iiii/Specialized power meter that has been rumored for months now) for the same price as the rim brake model...? That is crazy. Really hope this is true!
I'll say I highly doubt this will be true. Historically, disc models of the Tarmac have been $500 more than their rim brake counterpart, at least the Di2 versions. The bikes with powermeters have been even more expensive, naturally.

Take the SL5 Tarmac Pro. The normal Ui2 bike was $6000, the Ui2 Disc bike was $6500, and the 'Tarmac edition' disc frame with Sram Force 22 hydro (a downgrade compared to Ui2) and Quarq Elsa power meter was $7250.

The current S-works Venge Vias E-tap Disc has a power meter and it's $11500. I'm betting if the S-works Tarmac Disc has a power meter, it's more along the lines of this price. No way they are giving you hydro disc brakes and a power meter for free.

boots2000

by boots2000

Don't get too excited.
I have a buddy who got a rim brake S-works with that powermeter. It is a pretty terrible powermeter. It drifts all over the place. Accurate maybe 1 of out 5-7 rides.

Torbjorn wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:49 pm
bas wrote:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bas

by bas

That's straight from the shop, quoted me retail price for the disc tarmac at $13,500 AUD which is the same as the rim bike.
He may have the price wrong, but to be honest doubt they can get away with charging anymore than that.
Remember when the Vias came out, it was something like $18k here, only to drop to about $12,000 6 months later and forcing Specialized to give everyone who had bought one at the original price a credit.