2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sychen

by sychen

queloque67 wrote:

Thats the look I definitely like. Maybe I missed it but what size is your frame?
52cm.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

I have 2 questions for disc owners of the SL6.
- Is there enough clearance at the back to use a 4iiii Precision Dura Ace 9100 Powermeter
- I'm not a huge fan of hand tighten the thru axles so how many torque may maximum be applied on the thru axles? Is there a difference between the front and the back?

sychen

by sychen

Not aware of hand tightening limit.. As much as sanity allows? Never had issues with qr.. Don't see this as any different.

As to pm.. No idea.. I run the specialized power meter and crank which was developed with 4iii

Pods I think are similar dimensions.. But cranks are different.. So may need someone to measure clearance on a shimano crankset vs specialized...then add pod dimensions.

Last edited by sychen on Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I can't imagine there'd be any clearance issues for the 4iiii pod. The only bikes I've heard heard of having clearance issues are the bikes that have bottom bracket brakes. I've never heard of any bikes with disc brakes or brakes up on the seat stays having clearance issues.

survivor

by survivor

sychen wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:42 am
You asked for more?

Slammed the stem today.

I think the position is about right now. I could never get low enough on my old bike. I might look at getting a slamset to get the stem just that bit lower. And of course it would look great.

Not sure if a bottom spacer is needed to clear the frame.

I think my battery for the di2 isn't right. Seems like it doesn't charge fully or the battery constantly discharged.

Gets through the a ride fine if I had it plugged in overnight.

...but if I don't charge it for a couple of days, then then it acts like it is out of battery.

2nd ride I've had to charge it on the go with a battery pack because I didn't charge it overnight.

You need a more stylish saddle bag for your awesome bike 8)
Check out viewtopic.php?f=3&t=148957&p=1387955&hi ... X#p1387955

saverin

by saverin

Quick Step and Bora ran a mix of Specialized branded NDS power meters and 4iiii branded NDS power meters early in the season on the SL6, so there should be no issues with clearance. Also, the Shimano NDS crank arm inner surface is about 2-4mm narrower than the Specialized one.

Samklee15

by Samklee15

survivor wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm
sychen wrote:
You asked for more?

Slammed the stem today.

I think the position is about right now. I could never get low enough on my old bike. I might look at getting a slamset to get the stem just that bit lower. And of course it would look great.

I think my battery for the di2 isn't right. Seems like it doesn't charge fully or the battery constantly discharged.

...but if I don't charge it for a couple of days, then then it acts like it is out of battery.

2nd ride I've had to charge it on the go with a battery pack because I didn't charge it overnight.

It doesn’t help that it’s on backwards.

glander

by glander

sychen wrote:
You asked for more?

Slammed the stem today.

On a lighter note, how are you likeing that saddle? Does it live up to the "pillow" hype?

dcorn

by dcorn

ODC wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 am
- I'm not a huge fan of hand tighten the thru axles so how many torque may maximum be applied on the thru axles? Is there a difference between the front and the back?
How are you going to measure the torque you put on them if the only way to tighten is with the handle?

I have 3 bikes now with "screw-in hand tight" thru axles and never had a problem with any of them coming loose. Even after 40+ miles on gravel or a rough CX race. No way those things are coming unscrewed.

The front is shorter than the rear. Front is 12x100mm, rear is 12x142mm.
glander wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:47 pm
On a lighter note, how are you likeing that saddle? Does it live up to the "pillow" hype?
I've had that saddle for a few months, doesn't feel any different than the normal Power when riding.

ODC

by ODC

dcorn wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:04 pm
ODC wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:34 am
How are you going to measure the torque you put on them if the only way to tighten is with the handle?

I have 3 bikes now with "screw-in hand tight" thru axles and never had a problem with any of them coming loose. Even after 40+ miles on gravel or a rough CX race. No way those things are coming unscrewed.

The front is shorter than the rear. Front is 12x100mm, rear is 12x142mm.
glander wrote:
I've had that saddle for a few months, doesn't feel any different than the normal Power when riding.
My frameset and also other framesets of the sl6 disc came with thru axles without a handle.
Same like the BMC SLR01 disc. The axles of the slr01 can handle a maximum torque of 10Nm.
Saw complete bikes of the sl6 disc with thru axles with handle but these where build with roval wheels.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Some Specialized framesets (Venge ViAS) come with both handled and aero thru-axles. Surprised the SL6 frameset only comes with the aero ones, if that’s true.

The markings on my Shift-Up axles say 8 n-m, but they are probably materially weaker than OEM offerings.

dcorn

by dcorn

Ah good point. A friend of mine got a new Crux this past year and it came with the aero thru axles, hex holes only. My Aeroad came with an aero TA on the front and and handle on the rear, but the handle is removable so you can use it on the front.

I still say german torque specs are sufficient.

sychen

by sychen

survivor wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:04 pm
Not sure if there is a stylish dork bag?

Samklee15, I'm suitably embarassed. I just got the bag is my excuse... lol

Had the Specialized Road bandit that bolted on to the bottom of the Power saddle but things kept falling out. Thats relegated to my old bike again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

glander wrote:
Funny you ask... its going back to be swapped to a weenie friendly S-works Power.

The saddle was nice enough cushioning wise.. never a complaint about sore arse but i was getting numb from too much cushioning.

The level 2 padding + the Elaston for me had too much give and compressing nerves/blood flow the level 1 padding didn't.

It was nice enough otherwise.