2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

The New S-Works Tarmac has been announced a long time ago and it is meanwhile available.... but we are still waiting for the disc version.....(all other major bike manufacturers have announced their top race bike with disc; maybe except Bianchi)

Yesterday I finally received the info from my LBS who ask the Spez. sales rep that the New S-Works Tarmac Disc should be available in the spring 2018 (!) :( . He could not get any information about the spec but he will now check if they can get any more information concerning the colour (and pricing).

Quite keen to hear from my LBS again about the colour as I would like to have also a disc race bike for the rainy day over here and I am torn between a 2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc and the BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team in the beautiful red colour and with this nice and clean integrated stem (and the BMC is available).

Samklee15

by Samklee15

Im going through the exact same debate (SLR01 vs waiting for the Tarmac Disc). Please update us if you hear anything else from your LBS!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ODC

by ODC

In europe the disc version of the SL6 will indeed be for next year.
SLR01 is direct available in rim and disc. Have bought the rim version

TonyM

by TonyM

Samklee15 wrote:Im going through the exact same debate (SLR01 vs waiting for the Tarmac Disc). Please update us if you hear anything else from your LBS!

I got an answer from my LBS who just checked again with the sales rep: Unfortunately the sales rep doesn't have more information concerning colour, pricing and spec. He supposed he may be informed in Dec/ Jan. He recommends to preorder one if you are looking at the 49/51 or 58/61 as these bikes/ frames are only supplied in a very limited quantity outside the US (I live in Canada). Delivery if preordered now will be Spring.

I have to check with my LBS how it is with canceling preorders if I don't like the colour for example. And as the frame sets usually offers also different colours, I would have to preorder a bike and also a frame I suppose :( I have to check with my LBS next week.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I wittled my choices down to Teammachine SLR01 Disc and Emonda SLR Disc pretty quickly because the Tarmac Disc simply doesn't have an announcement date (let alone a ship date.)

From there, it became a choice of aesthetics (BMC,) weight (Trek,) price (Trek,) available date (Trek.) I ended up going with the Emonda SLR Disc and have been very happy with the decision.

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:I wittled my choices down to Teammachine SLR01 Disc and Emonda SLR Disc pretty quickly because the Tarmac Disc simply doesn't have an announcement date (let alone a ship date.)

From there, it became a choice of aesthetics (BMC,) weight (Trek,) price (Trek,) available date (Trek.) I ended up going with the Emonda SLR Disc and have been very happy with the decision.

I am not a big fan of the Trek Emonda (too "plain" in terms of aesthetics for my taste) BUT the Project One platform is a great thing! :thumbup:

I really love the BMC SLR and the BMC RM, especially the red Team colour, but the choice is otherwise not very easy as not all colours are available with all groups. So either you buy the frames (only available for the SLR01 and RM01) or you have to buy a full bike and replace the stock group with another one. Good point for the BMC in Ultegra and 105 the wheelset, handlebar, saddle are not top end as they assume anyway that you will replace them soon. The pricing of the BMC is however always quite high :unbelievable:

The availability of the Tarmac disc could indeed be a killer factor for me....especially because the BMC SLR01 disc Team is available.

sharkman

by sharkman

You could also look at the cervelo r3 or r5 disc. These do offer a good ride without Too many compromises towards a endurance/lazy.geometry.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

moyboy

by moyboy

i think this was the only pic of it from the dealer preview / review day.

morganb

by morganb

I'm curious why the disc bike is so far behind the rim in terms of release, I would think groupset availability (especially at the Ultegra level) is an issue. I hope it isn't development problems with keeping the bike light with the disc mounts. There is also the possibility that they are staggering it just so the disc bike doesn't cannibalize sales from the rim model.

TonyM

by TonyM

The new Ultegra is soon to be delivered with the big bike manufacturers.

I suppose they want to have a very light frame that really can work with the disc brakes; especially in the fork. And we see many manufacturers that have frame/ fork for the disc version being heavier than the rim version. Plus the weight of rotors etc...not the best in terms of marketing.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

TonyM wrote:The New S-Works Tarmac has been announced a long time ago and it is meanwhile available.... but we are still waiting for the disc version.....(all other major bike manufacturers have announced their top race bike with disc; maybe except Bianchi)

Yesterday I finally received the info from my LBS who ask the Spez. sales rep that the New S-Works Tarmac Disc should be available in the spring 2018 (!) :( . He could not get any information about the spec but he will now check if they can get any more information concerning the colour (and pricing).

Quite keen to hear from my LBS again about the colour as I would like to have also a disc race bike for the rainy day over here and I am torn between a 2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc and the BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team in the beautiful red colour and with this nice and clean integrated stem (and the BMC is available).

It's soo easy. Just buy the BMC now and ride it. Why would you wait a year for a bike? Just buy the bmc and think about specialized again when it's out. You can always sell your bmc.

Arnoud

by Arnoud

This is really an issue for a lot of people. I understand that for UCI races discs are not fully allowed yet and also in the Netherlands not on any races. But for others the disc version may be the go to choice... would be terrible if it would only come available late 2018....

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

nemeseri wrote:It's soo easy. Just buy the BMC now and ride it. Why would you wait a year for a bike? Just buy the bmc and think about specialized again when it's out. You can always sell your bmc.

The option to sell is something I would like to avoid. Too much $$$ to loose... :evil:

What makes the decision more difficult for me is that I wanted to have the Shimano C40/ C60 clincher wheelset with the BMC and they are not available yet (it seems that Shimano is postposing the release of the clincher version until January 2018). So if the Shimano C40/C60 clincher wheels are available before the Tarmac Disc then that will be the BMC....

At the moment I don't need the BMC Teammachine anyway as the fall/ winter is coming (rain rain rain) and I have just ordered a BMC Roadmachine 02 with Dura Ace 9170 disc and full fenders/ mudguards.

Seedster

by Seedster

Just get the BMC. It's on of the best looking disc brake equipped bikes offered right now. Waiting a year for the tarmac doesn't make much sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

I really see the benefit of a decent disc bike.
Focus Izalco Max has a few options, with reasonably aggressive geometry and acceptable weights.

I don't know how well they are distributed in Canada, maybe worth a test ride :noidea:

@TonyM why are you going with Shimano C40 C60?

I'm after new wheels and am leaning towards

https://www.wheelworks.co.nz/shop-2/roa ... aker-disc/

They're local, look good and have a lifetime guarantee

Or

https://r2-bike.com/NEWMEN-Wheelset-28- ... isc-Carbon

'Cos they seem really light for discs 1210g
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

by Weenie