pedals advice?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Musiker

by Musiker

Hi all,
Just read the different takes on pedals in the powermeter rumor thread.. And the praise for Shimano, got me wondering if I would benefit from upgrading my winter bike pedals...

I ride speedplay zeros in the summer and are very happy about the performance, but using them during winter I can't really justify - They simply rust too fast as I tend to only do minimal cleaning of my winter gear :oops: ..
On my winter bike (and indoor trainer) I just use Shimano PD-R540 (cheap), but I'm not happy about their performance - As new they are okayish, but after little use they develop a lot of play between cleat and pedal. .

Is that just because they are the "cheap" version and the ultegra/durace version is much better and still durable?

Any other suggestions for a winter road pedal, that meet my requirements:
- durable in rain and snow, zero play
- Don't need to walk much on the cleats, Speedplay with cover and shimano spd-sl works fine.

BR
Henrik

jekyll man

by jekyll man

There's no real performance difference between any lower tier and upper end shimano product.
Its a common misconception eg will da brakes be more powerful than 105?? etc..

I think what you are experiencing with regard to "cleat wear", is actually a problem with your shoes.
If your sole is flattish, then the shimano cleat deforms as it tightens. This has the effect of drawing in the fastening ends of the cleat, so the spring isn't holding it correctly. Some shoes suffer more in the in/out plane over front to back.
Try placing some thin packing between the mounting bolts and see if it alters the feel.

I use speedplay in the summer and on my race bike, but shimano's come winter as like you, I found winters are hard on the zero's. Also they are like a metal heat sink and make my feet cold. Using SPD SL's fixed that.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Possibly a little OT:

I find that there is more 'float' with Shimano R540 pedals compared to 105/ultegra/dura ace - but that doesn't sound like the issue you're describing. Also the upper end pedals are more durable because they use a metal plate rather than a plastic plate. I've found the plastic plate to wear quite rapidly, but I haven't noticed any 'play' because of this.

Certainly the 105 and pre 8000-ultegra pedals can be considered equivalent from a performance perspective, but Dura Ace (and 8000) pedals have a lower stack height and (in the case of Dura Ace) 'different' bearings. Having said that, nothing wrong with 105 and above pedals.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

sungod

by sungod

if you like speedplay zero, why not get some with stainless steel or ti spindles? neither will rust, and no need for different shoes with different cleats

i've got the stainless on my commute bike, no rust even with wet salted winter roads

btw the zero aero/walkable cleats are good, saves messing around with covers

sib

by sib

I use PD A600 pedals during the winter.
They're Ultegra-grade.

There tends to be lots of snow/ice/grit/other crap on the roads, and I often find myself having to walk short distances during a ride. SPD shoes are great for that.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

The new ultegra composite pedal wears over time. The in and out of the cleat wears the pedal and with time play increases. Same or worst with DA since is same composite. Spindle and bearings change.
This can be decreased by going to blue or red cleats over time as the pedal wears.
The pedals last but they will wear and have increased play in a couple years by doing 5-6 days/week 2hrs rides. The wear comes from the in and out of the cleats. It creates a crevice in the front of the pedals from the side motion of in and out. Over time the float Increases.
Shimano top tear is not made for durability but for speed savings. The metal is durable because is Ti. The composite wont last more than a couple years of training and racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musiker

by Musiker

Mhh I'll check the shoe thing - Sounds possible that something like that is happening (Funny cause the shoes are from shimano and labelled spd-sl :))..

I'ts for sure not float.

I have different shoes and boots, with no preference during winter. So i'ts not an issue with another type of cleat. I have used my speedplaya for some wet rides and the cleats did not like it, They started to show some rust because I did not get them dried instantly I got home (with enough grease and care, I'm sure they would be ok... But I tend to be lazy in terms of care for my winter gear)..

SPD I don't want for my road bike - Might be ok, but I do ride some longer rides during winter aswell..

reknop

by reknop

sungod wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:23 am
if you like speedplay zero, why not get some with stainless steel or ti spindles? neither will rust, and no need for different shoes with different cleats

i've got the stainless on my commute bike, no rust even with wet salted winter roads

btw the zero aero/walkable cleats are good, saves messing around with covers
Riding stainless versions since Jens Voight was till riding for CSC and there was a red stainless CSC version available. All pairs still run like a charm and are rust free. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The best bike upgrade I ever did was to switch from my Speedplay Ti Zeros to the Shimano Dura Ace. I get so much better power transfer on the Dura Ace. Nothing matters if you can't get all of your power to the cranks. I also put money in my shoes....one with the lightest and stiffest carbon soles. With good shoes and pedals you won't have wasted energy going elsewhere. I believe the pros are not contractually obligated to ride a certain pedal (maybe except Sagan) and you see plenty of pros riding relatively heavy pedals with a wide platform for good reasons.

TonyM

by TonyM

Don't forget also to use the right pedals/ cleats so that you don't have problems in your knees in 20 years....

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Personally, I found I like my Zero's too much to switch back and forth. Also, for me at least, I found there was a stack height difference between them and my Shimano's, so when I'd switch back and forth, I'd have to drop my seat. Too much of a PITA for me.

Like sungod said... why not look for Stainless or Ti spindles?

Also +1 for the Speedplay walkable/aero cleats. I've found that even with their rubber bits on them, Shimano and Look cleats are really slick on wet roads. I've nearly gone down at stop signs/lights because my foot slipped when I stopped. Never had that happen with the Speedplay walkables. I have them on both my normal road shoes and my winter boots.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com