* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:40 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: pedals advice?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:15 am 

Hi all,
Just read the different takes on pedals in the powermeter rumor thread.. And the praise for Shimano, got me wondering if I would benefit from upgrading my winter bike pedals...

I ride speedplay zeros in the summer and are very happy about the performance, but using them during winter I can't really justify - They simply rust too fast as I tend to only do minimal cleaning of my winter gear :oops: ..
On my winter bike (and indoor trainer) I just use Shimano PD-R540 (cheap), but I'm not happy about their performance - As new they are okayish, but after little use they develop a lot of play between cleat and pedal. .

Is that just because they are the "cheap" version and the ultegra/durace version is much better and still durable?

Any other suggestions for a winter road pedal, that meet my requirements:
- durable in rain and snow, zero play
- Don't need to walk much on the cleats, Speedplay with cover and shimano spd-sl works fine.

BR
Henrik

Post subject: pedals advice?
Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:15 am 

Post subject: Re: pedals advice?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:46 am 

There's no real performance difference between any lower tier and upper end shimano product.
Its a common misconception eg will da brakes be more powerful than 105?? etc..

I think what you are experiencing with regard to "cleat wear", is actually a problem with your shoes.
If your sole is flattish, then the shimano cleat deforms as it tightens. This has the effect of drawing in the fastening ends of the cleat, so the spring isn't holding it correctly. Some shoes suffer more in the in/out plane over front to back.
Try placing some thin packing between the mounting bolts and see if it alters the feel.

I use speedplay in the summer and on my race bike, but shimano's come winter as like you, I found winters are hard on the zero's. Also they are like a metal heat sink and make my feet cold. Using SPD SL's fixed that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:11 am 

Possibly a little OT:

I find that there is more 'float' with Shimano R540 pedals compared to 105/ultegra/dura ace - but that doesn't sound like the issue you're describing. Also the upper end pedals are more durable because they use a metal plate rather than a plastic plate. I've found the plastic plate to wear quite rapidly, but I haven't noticed any 'play' because of this.

Certainly the 105 and pre 8000-ultegra pedals can be considered equivalent from a performance perspective, but Dura Ace (and 8000) pedals have a lower stack height and (in the case of Dura Ace) 'different' bearings. Having said that, nothing wrong with 105 and above pedals.

My SwiftCarbon Ultravox

My Velocite Selene

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:23 am 

if you like speedplay zero, why not get some with stainless steel or ti spindles? neither will rust, and no need for different shoes with different cleats

i've got the stainless on my commute bike, no rust even with wet salted winter roads

btw the zero aero/walkable cleats are good, saves messing around with covers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:12 pm 

I use PD A600 pedals during the winter.
They're Ultegra-grade.

There tends to be lots of snow/ice/grit/other crap on the roads, and I often find myself having to walk short distances during a ride. SPD shoes are great for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:55 pm 

The new ultegra composite pedal wears over time. The in and out of the cleat wears the pedal and with time play increases. Same or worst with DA since is same composite. Spindle and bearings change.
This can be decreased by going to blue or red cleats over time as the pedal wears.
The pedals last but they will wear and have increased play in a couple years by doing 5-6 days/week 2hrs rides. The wear comes from the in and out of the cleats. It creates a crevice in the front of the pedals from the side motion of in and out. Over time the float Increases.
Shimano top tear is not made for durability but for speed savings. The metal is durable because is Ti. The composite wont last more than a couple years of training and racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 pm 

Mhh I'll check the shoe thing - Sounds possible that something like that is happening (Funny cause the shoes are from shimano and labelled spd-sl :))..

I'ts for sure not float.

I have different shoes and boots, with no preference during winter. So i'ts not an issue with another type of cleat. I have used my speedplaya for some wet rides and the cleats did not like it, They started to show some rust because I did not get them dried instantly I got home (with enough grease and care, I'm sure they would be ok... But I tend to be lazy in terms of care for my winter gear)..

SPD I don't want for my road bike - Might be ok, but I do ride some longer rides during winter aswell..

Posted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:19 pm