Carrera Bikes - Any opinion, problems?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

Hi! I've been watching WW for years and usually could get answers just by searching the forums. But not in this case.

Does somebody has experience with Carrera bikes? Any model from the last 5 years.... Any trouble with cracks, quality etc?
I found only one thread about these bikes here at WW.. and in general on the internet is also very difficult to find any review, infos etc.. although you can find some more infos in japanese (it looks that they are a bit more popular there)

Thanks for any infos!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JAQ1

by JAQ1

You can see my build on another local forum:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum/topic/1 ... hl=carrera

Great bikes and good quality. Almost 2 years in and I havent had any problems. Current weight is around 6500 grams.

Also of note, I am still on my original ROTOR BB4130, no roughness or play, thats with about 13 000 km on it.

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

hey thanks a lot!!!! I had some questions but reading your post at the other forum, all done hehe

So... stiff enough for racing you say...

JAQ1

by JAQ1

For sure

karmaz

by karmaz

My main race ride is a Carrera Nitro SL from 2014. Quite happy with it although I have little in the way of carbon bikes to compare with as my other bikes are alu/steel.
Initially built with Chorus mechanical and 303's, later converted to Chorus EPS.

Feels plenty stiff. I've done GP races, hill sprints, and long climbs on it and it hasn't let me down. Noticeable difference in speed late spring when I switch from my steel road bike to the Carrera :)

karmaz

by karmaz

karmaz wrote: Quite happy with it

Actually one thing that annoyed the hell out of me is that the clear coat on my matte carbon frame seems to be some sort of film that comes off super easy. I got the frame with some bits and pieces taped to the frame with standard electrical tape and it ripped a section of the clear coat right off when I removed it.

Rogeliote

by Rogeliote

I hace a Carrera Sl 730 and I am in love with it. It is an amazing product with top quality construction and racing behavior!

By the way my other bike is a 2017 Madone 9.9. So I am comparing the Carrera with a top frame

zirxo

by zirxo

Carrera is quite common here in Stockholm since we got an LBS who stocks them and has for a long time. As far I know there's no complaints about them.

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

Thanks to all! About to decide. I'll let you know about the build! :thumbup:

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

Thanks to all who have helped me on this decision. Didn't ride the bike a lot yet, but feels reactive and good. Not a super WW but "legal" and fair weight within budget:

Shimano Di2 Dura Ace & Ultegra mix
Ciamillo GSL Micro Brakes
Deda Zero 100 alloy bar
Deda Zero 2 Stem (while I cannot decide the correct size... later a Superleggera)
Deda Superleggera seatpost 0º
Selle Italia SLR carbon saddle
Gyroscope 38mm carbon tubulars (Conti sprinter 25)
Favero Assioma pedals (not on the picture... 25g less than those Look)

Last edited by TheBlackPath on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

micky

by micky

That is very good looking but I would have expected a much lower weight with that setup.
Is it an heavy frame? Or the wheels?

TheBlackPath

by TheBlackPath

micky wrote:That is very good looking but I would have expected a much lower weight with that setup.
Is it an heavy frame? Or the wheels?

there is room for weight saving on the bars and stem, skewers pretty heavy at 116g.. wheels are 1250g... frame size 53, 759g ... fork something like 320 uncut
But for a while I am happy with 6.8 :thumbup:

sib

by sib

Very nice!
Which model is that, and what made you choose that particular model?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JAQ1

by JAQ1

Great choice ;) hope you enjoy it fully!