BMC ICS integrated stem/ cockpit (Teammachine01/ Roadmachine01)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I am considering buying a BMC Teammachine SLR01 disc with this very clean ICS stem/ Integrated Cockpit System.
It's also used on the Roadmachine01 frame/ bike.

http://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/i ... it-system/

Do you have any feedback on it? Is there any creaking noises after a while for example? etc.??

-> And as I am intending to use this bike with this stem system as my rain bike I am also quite concerned about the water that can get into the fork steerer tube etc... as the entrance of the cables under the stem are not sealed (I supposed because they need some flexibility to move as the handlebars will also move when turning etc.)

What do you think? Or should I rather go for a traditional stem system avoiding any risk of water in the fork steerer/ frame etc...?

ms6073

by ms6073

A friend has one when BMC first introduced the disc brake model, and aside from the flat mount on the front fork not being faced correctly, he has not had any other issues. Two months back, he did a week long bike tour over the mountains of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina (USA) and got rained on several times during the tour with no issues of which I am aware.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for your feedback!

That's the way it is intended to be used with a Garmin or Garmin/ Go pro combo:

"The ICStem faceplate is feature adaptable - integrated computer mounts and action camera adapters are aftermarket available."

RussellS

by RussellS

??? What are you talking about? Did you even look at the drawing of how the cables run? The cables DO NOT go inside the fork steerer tube. The cables go into the stem, then beside the fork steerer tube, then down into the headtube in that big wide headtube below the stem. The cables do not go through the steerer tube. The cables go AROUND the steerer tube. So how do you think water will get into the steerer tube? Are you going to drill a hole in the top cap or take out the center bolt?

TonyM

by TonyM

RussellS wrote:??? What are you talking about? Did you even look at the drawing of how the cables run? The cables DO NOT go inside the fork steerer tube. The cables go into the stem, then beside the fork steerer tube, then down into the headtube in that big wide headtube below the stem. The cables do not go through the steerer tube. The cables go AROUND the steerer tube. So how do you think water will get into the steerer tube? Are you going to drill a hole in the top cap or take out the center bolt?

Fork steerer and fork disc.jpg

If I look at the picture of the ICS stem and the fork of the TM01 or RM01 the disc brake cable is, you can see a cable entering the fork steerer, that seems to be the disc brake cable. So after the disc brake cable is going around the steerer tube it is then going inside the fork steerer and then in the fork itself, right? So water gould eventually get there in the fork steerer and into the fork. We speak here about the disc version.

And the other cables (disc brake rear and Di2) are going into the head tube and then in the down tube and then to the chainstay.

So theoretically water could enter below the stem where the cables are and then go to via the fork steerer to the fork and also to the down tube at least (maybe also a little bit to the top tube with the vibration as the cables are in the head tube with the opening of the top tube.

Is this thinking correct?

Ettore

by Ettore

@TonyM: The hydraulic hose for the front brake caliper does route through the fork. However, the fork has an integrated PE plastic "tunnel" for the hydraulic hose. Water shouldn't be an issue.

phm8147

by phm8147

I used it for about three months, but nothing was wrong.

Andres

by Andres

Ettore wrote:@TonyM: The hydraulic hose for the front brake caliper does route through the fork. However, the fork has an integrated PE plastic "tunnel" for the hydraulic hose. Water shouldn't be an issue.
This is no different than any other fork, though. The difference between the BMC and a traditional steerer is that BMC's is flat on the sides to allow for the cables to run alongside it. They don't, however, enter the steerer tube. In my opinion, there's really no greater chance of contamination or water damage than a regular set-up.

Ettore

by Ettore

dre_lo82 wrote:
Ettore wrote:@TonyM: The hydraulic hose for the front brake caliper does route through the fork. However, the fork has an integrated PE plastic "tunnel" for the hydraulic hose. Water shouldn't be an issue.
This is no different than any other fork, though. The difference between the BMC and a traditional steerer is that BMC's is flat on the sides to allow for the cables to run alongside it. They don't, however, enter the steerer tube. In my opinion, there's really no greater chance of contamination or water damage than a regular set-up.
It enters the back of the steerer tube, about 5 cm above the lower bearing, after running along side the steerer tube.

Andres

by Andres

Ettore wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:18 am
dre_lo82 wrote:
It enters the back of the steerer tube, about 5 cm above the lower bearing, after running along side the steerer tube.
I stand corrected!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

RussellS wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:54 pm
??? What are you talking about? Did you even look at the drawing of how the cables run? The cables DO NOT go inside the fork steerer tube. The cables go into the stem, then beside the fork steerer tube, then down into the headtube in that big wide headtube below the stem. The cables do not go through the steerer tube. The cables go AROUND the steerer tube. So how do you think water will get into the steerer tube? Are you going to drill a hole in the top cap or take out the center bolt?
Was that really called for? If you wanted to make the point you could have pointed out that it looks like the cables run down the outside of the steerer not through it, that way you would have avoided making a dick of yourself twice; once by being unnecessarily rude and twice by being wrong in your assertions. Let's try and keep it civil guys!