Your bike: sum of components or aesthetically approved

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Alumen

by Alumen

I need to upgrade a few parts of my bike and I doubt between taking the rational approach, just by taking the best individual components or that I take the approach of well balanced components in terms of brands and looks which generally gives better aesthetics.

That does not mean that aesthetics couldn't be rational too, but you got the point right :wink:

So there is no right or wrong answer on this question I would reckon, but at least it is a fun discussion.

Like to hear your thoughts !
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

I was a big advocate of having Dura Ace throughout til Winter 2012 / Spring 2013 after doing 5 months on my single speed Langster I realised that spec almost academic and with 11 speed things closed so much in the performance stakes that I run Ultegra throughout now with P2Max power on Rotor. I still run 7900 calipers on my TCR though.

Now, the jump in price on DA to Ultegra, is to my mind not worth the cash. Only my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

no fuglies allowed.

kgt

by kgt

Aesthetics is a branch of philosophy, as rational as it gets. "Taking the best individual components" (what best means?) is not a great idea. Some, not all, of the components have to match each other. What kind of components are you thinking of?

jlok

by jlok

getting the best look is the most logical decision. bike will be the fastest. approved.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

darnellrm

by darnellrm

Function vs. fashion. I'll take function every time. I want the best component ( lightest, strongest, most aero, etc., based on the purpose of the bike) at every spot. Making them match is secondary at best.

sawyer

by sawyer

Somebody should product a schematic / graphic showing how well matched different brands are.

So for example Shimano + Campagnolo is as distasteful as it gets (huge gulf between them, 0/10) ... but OTOH, Shimano + Pro, or SRAM + Zipp (10/10 for non-identical brand matching)

There is a geographical dimension to this ... US brands are on average better matched with US brands, and Euro with Euro etc, though there are differences within that general correlation for sure ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

kgt

by kgt

@darnellrm
You can have function and aesthetics (fashion is something else). Most pro bikes follow this route.

morganb

by morganb

sawyer wrote:Somebody should product a schematic / graphic showing how well matched different brands are.

So for example Shimano + Campagnolo is as distasteful as it gets (huge gulf between them, 0/10) ... but OTOH, Shimano + Pro, or SRAM + Zipp (10/10 for non-identical brand matching)

There is a geographical dimension to this ... US brands are on average better matched with US brands, and Euro with Euro etc, though there are differences within that general correlation for sure ...

I like stuff to match but Zipp with Shimano/Pro with SRAM doesn't bother me, or Shimano/SRAM on Deda or similar Italian component brands. I do like matching components for the cockpit and the wheels not to clash though. I have a Zipp cockpit bike with full 9070 and I think it looks good and obviously functions well.

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

sawyer wrote:Somebody should product a schematic / graphic showing how well matched different brands are.

I have Shimano Hollowtech cranks on an otherwise all Campy bike so I can run a (cheaper) Stages Power meter-with all the clicks in a 10 speed Record left shifter, compatability issues aren't really a thing.

thePrince

by thePrince

This is the fun part of building a bike...the painstaking part of finding the most perfect part that checks BOTH boxes...form and function.

Personally, I find Shimano to have a good function, but the form is unacceptable...both visually, and how they do business (http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143554 for example). I have only one real rule when building a bike. No Shimano.

From there, I ask what is this bike for? Racing? Training? Aero? Lightweight? Once I know what the bike is about, I spend hours obsessing over each part...does it accomplish what the bike is about..at a macro level.

Then, do the components work well together, both form and function. I have some favorites, like Thomson stem/seatpost. Look great together, bombproof, perform well. Fizik microtex black 2mm tape...stuff will last a few seasons, survive multiple re-wraps, tacky enough my hands never slip, and what bike doesn't look amazing with low-profile leather black tape.

Other areas I struggle, especially brakes. Hard to find brakes that are visually pleasing, match the bike, and actually work - without costing a fortune. For example, Ciamillo brakes just don't work, and a pain to deal with, despite checking all the other boxes. So I'm always trying to up my brake situation, across all my bikes. Researching, hunting, etc.

In a sense, isn't the original question what this forum is about?!?!

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Function first, always, but aesthetics gets veto power. For example I am never getting a compact geometry frame, or a pair of lightweights (even if I could afford them). Just personal taste...

On the other hand, full, unabridged and unapologetic function can be beautiful in and of itself:

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Kaboom wrote:Function first, always, but aesthetics gets veto power. For example I am never getting a compact geometry frame, or a pair of lightweights (even if I could afford them). Just personal taste...

On the other hand, full, unabridged and unapologetic function can be beautiful in and of itself:

naw, thats still ugly

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

kgt wrote:or...

also ugly, imho