Creacking noise (on my Colnago C60): found!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I am riding a Colnago C60 for the last two years (summer bike) and a few months ago some creaking noise was noticeable. And then this nasty creaking noise was louder and louder. So much that it didn't only annoy me but it really came as a warning signal whenever I was about to pass some riders, especially in the short climbs over here; It always appeared whenever I was out of the saddle. For example a guy last week (with a Dogma F8 or F10) said as I passed him on a short climb that my bike/ frame did't sound very healthy etc....

I decided then to check where it could come from....The noise was definitely (!) coming from the cockpit. So I checked everything, bar, stem, fork, re-greased everything with carbon paste. But still there!; Actually even more than before and also then also it seemed to come from the bottom bracket. Or the carbon shoes. And always whenever I was out of the saddle. I decided to google and to read all the threads on WW. So many threads and posts with everything from loctite, to Campagnolo specific, to oil in the spokes, etc... So it could be coming because of so many possible reasons! I figured out BTW that the C60 should not have many creaking noises coming from the BB because of its threaded BB etc... but my C60 was creaking like crazy! And the noise was so loud that I just could not ignore it. It was just upsetting to have such a nice bike (and such expensive :( ) and to have these frustrating creaking noises :evil:

Today I decided to really take time and to check everything, methodically. So by using different pairs of shoes, different pairs of wheels, different QR, checking the torque of the chain bolts, of the crankset, of the BB shells, of all other screws like RD, FD, saddle mount, etc....and to test ride the bike after each modification.

AND I found it !!! :thumbup: It came from the QR in contact with the frame dropouts! :!: I used some carbon paste between the QR and the dropouts and the noise disappeared! :thumbup: (Let's hope now that it will now stay silent also :( )

So guys, whenever you have some creaking noise, look for it and check everything systematically...be patient and you will find it!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Yeah, pleased you have silence again, QR's do seem to be a common cause for weird noises. They are often suggested as the first place to look.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

velomane

by velomane

Thanks for sharing your story. Even as I read the thread title, I said to myself, "another damn QR creaking".

3Pio

by 3Pio

Same happened to my friend bike when he replaced his Campagnolo Skewers for ultra light Tune or something.. So he switched back, and that's how i give up of changing my Capagnolo Skewers.

I wonder what kind of QR u use on ur bike?

TonyM

by TonyM

3Pio wrote:Same happened to my friend bike when he replaced his Campagnolo Skewers for ultra light Tune or something.. So he switched back, and that's how i give up of changing my Capagnolo Skewers.

I wonder what kind of QR u use on ur bike?

I am using on my Bora Ultra 50 the Lightweight skewers (actually made from Tune) with the CrMo Steel axle. That's also the one which came with my LW Meilenstein.
https://shop.lightweight.info/tag/schnellspanner/
They work fine but they just need now some carbon paste :wink:

I personally would be careful with the tune skewers with aluminum or titanium axle but maybe I am too cautious.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Dura Ace or Campagnolo skewers ftw. Lightweight and similar style skewers tend to lack the clamping power necessary to prevent slipping or creaking. Great call on checking the skewers, most bikes that come into the shop with a "Bottom Bracket" noise end up being a loose rear skewer.

Asteroid

by Asteroid

["bearsdidit"]Dura Ace or Campagnolo skewers ftw. Lightweight and similar style skewers tend to lack the clamping power necessary to prevent slipping or creaking. Great call on checking the skewers, most bikes that come into the shop with a "Bottom Bracket" noise end up being a loose rear skewer and a $50 repair charge.]

Fixed it for you. :mrgreen:
Oldbie

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

Asteroid wrote:["bearsdidit"]Dura Ace or Campagnolo skewers ftw. Lightweight and similar style skewers tend to lack the clamping power necessary to prevent slipping or creaking. Great call on checking the skewers, most bikes that come into the shop with a "Bottom Bracket" noise end up being a loose rear skewer and a $50 repair charge.]

Fixed it for you. :mrgreen:

:beerchug: :thumbup:

ntb1001

by ntb1001

This is why i try to use Campy skewers on all my wheels

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I had used the Extralite Aliens 4 QRs. No funny noises but they lack the clamping power to keep the wheels centered. And I'm no heavyweight at 62kg. So I went back to the Campy QRs. But they are too heavy and psychologically they are a burden especially when I make a PR attempt on Strava. So I found some very nice Mavic QRs that use a titanium rod and interval cam. They are around 80g a pair but they work exceptionally well. I liked them so much I bought a second pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

glepore

by glepore

Those Mavic skewers are excellent. What I do with the "tune style" skewers from ebay is clamp them closed then rotate another 90 degrees or so to assure enough force.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

torob

by torob

I had a very similar issue (different bike) and greasing the QR helped a bit, though the noise kept coming back. I think I've fixed it now - I *think* that it was an ever-so-slightly loose cup on my cartridge bearing wheel. I tightened that up and the creaking seems to have gone away (knock on wood).
Using Tapatalk

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Same thing when I tried Tune skewers, never used them since! Drove me nuts.

disturb

by disturb

interesting

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

This is a subject that as cyclist we all must deal with no matter what we ride. I thought I would add to this by suggesting simple quick items to check before tearing out BB, headsets and seatposts. Whenever I get caught out in rain, I notice the next day when I ride the bike that it is making noises and creaks.
First check I do is pull the rims and clean the dropouts and the axle portion that sits in the dropout.
Clean the QR where it contacts the dropouts and make sure they are snug when remounting.
Pull the pedals and clean and regrease threaded spindle and crank threads for pedal.
Obviously I will clean and lube the chain, cables and components at the same time.
Normally this is all it takes to keep the bike quiet but sometimes you have to dig deeper. I will go over the fasteners and check torques starting at the chainrings and then dropouts and hanger bolts. Its good to put a wrench on the fasteners evey so often anyway. Next will be the BB for disassembly and cleaning. If this is still not doing it then comes the headset.
Most times I do not have to take out the BB thankfully and rarely have I had to do the headset.
Pinpointing where these noises come from on Carbon and Titanium frames can be a real PITA but if we have short list of simple checks we can do before ripping everything apart than we will be riding more and doing less wrench turning. Hopefully people have tricks and checks they can add to this.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com