Sram etap wifli with 11-25?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cathalu

by Cathalu

Hi all,
I'm looking of purchasing sram etap for my race bike. I'll be on a standard 53-39 chainset and am debating whether to go wifli or not. I don't really see myself racing with anything bigger than a 28, I only used bigger in one race till now. However if the wifli rear mech runs well with an 11-25 and 11-28 I'd prefer to go this way as I like the idea of throwing in a 30 or 32 for foreign holidays. Anyone with any experience? I'd really appreciate some input.
Thanks,
Cathal.

Ps- first post here but long time lurker! I love this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

WiFli rear derailleurs have no issues with lower capacity cassettes.

Bliquid

by Bliquid

Begs the question why they then bother making a non Wifli version in the first place... weight?

Cathalu

by Cathalu

Thanks for that. It's just what I wanted to hear, wifli it is so.
And why do they still make a non-wifli option????

Bliquid

by Bliquid

The marketing blurb says the weight difference is +11g for WiFli. According to the individual product descriptions its 3g... either way, not what you'd call a big difference.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Some people don't like the look of a long cage derailleur and some claim that they can discern a slightly worse shifting behaviour.

I am not one of those though, using Red22 WiFli.

MXGimp

by MXGimp

the wifli works perfect with 11-25

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

if you have the standard rear derailleur you cant buy a long cage to make it a wifli. you have to buy an entire new wifli derailleur. $600

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Bliquid wrote:The marketing blurb says the weight difference is +11g for WiFli. According to the individual product descriptions its 3g... either way, not what you'd call a big difference.

Maybe an additional few grams of weight reduction with a link or two less chain due to the shorter cage?

gospastic

by gospastic

I've used a wifli mechanical RD with an 11-25 and it did not shift as well as with a regular mechanical RD. Slightly less crisp. I'm not sure if eTap would be better in this regard. I'm currently on regular eTap but have not tried the wifli version.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

gospastic wrote:I've used a wifli mechanical RD with an 11-25 and it did not shift as well as with a regular mechanical RD. Slightly less crisp.

This was my experience as well. The WiFli didn't shift quite as well as the regular version when running smaller cassettes.

Bullet

by Bullet

I run etap wifli with an 11-26 cassette and have had no issues at all. SRAM recommends using the etap wifli with an 11-26 to 11-32 cassette

IchDien

by IchDien

Any more feedback on this? Currently considering the same choice myself. Would be running 53/39 and 11/28.

What with Shimano running a longer cage these days is Wifli the better option? Also, do longer cages save on watts? I remember Cancellara running a long cage for drive train friction purposes before long cages were even the norm on road bikes.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I fit the Etap Wifli onto my light bike for the rare occasions when I travel out and get to do some real climbing, but for my upcoming bike I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be travelling with it so a normal short cage will do just fine and I get to save a 100 bucks on it. Not sure why most don't use a Wifli but if you know your terrain you can just get whatever fits.

I managed to fit a pair of 12t-14t pulley wheels into the Wifli think that'll save a bit of watts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

It'll probably be ok but it's not the ideal combination.

The upper pulley to cassette gap will be larger with wifli and an 11-25 cassette on the low gears, compared to non-wifli. It means slightly slower shifting on the low gears.

/a

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com