Scott Addict line-up changes for 2018 - no more HMX-SL carbon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/prod ... ightweight

I've been waiting patiently to read a true review of the 2017 Scott Addict SL (HMX-SL carbon) for some time now. In particular, I wanted to know why the pro's were riding HMX carbon Foil and Addict frames vs the supposedly higher-level HMX-SL carbon. I'm still waiting on a review, but learned today that HMX-SL carbon is no longer even in Scott's line-up. Huh?! Seems Scott has made some changes to their road line-up.

- The Foil remains largely unchanged aside from optional discs versions. I'm not a Foil guy, so I admittedly didn't pay too much attention to it.

- The Addict family has gotten a bit convoluted. There's two Addict geometries now. First, the "endurance" Solace is no more. In it's place, there's the "regular" Addict that uses a similarly (same?) relaxed geometry as the Solace. Second, the "lightweight" option is called Addict RC (Race Concept) with the more aggressive (unchanged from earlier?) geometry.

Like I mentioned, there's no more mention of the former top of-the-line "HMX-SL" carbon that yielded a combined <1kg weight for a frame and fork (the order used to go HMX-SL, HMX, HMF, etc). At least for last year offerings, the HMX-SL was exclusively used on the Addict SL (never on the Foil line-up interestingly). The Addict RC and Foil max out with the HMX carbon.

What have I missed?! Is there an issue with the Addict SL and/or it's "special" HMX-SL carbon? Quality problems, cost or much ado about nothing?!

Just wondering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rainerhq

by rainerhq

In MTB frames they use HMX-SL for 2018
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

mrlobber

by mrlobber

I might be wrong, but Addict SL actually wasn't in Scott's lineup last year already.

The original Addict SL was also mechanical only (nothing some small drilling can't solve for electronic of course ;) ... or Etap). I did have it in size L, it was 999g without any hardware (frame 734g, cut fork 265g). Didn't observe any quality problems with it, and it rode quite good as well.

Yes, the MTBs do have HMX-SL for 2018, but are priced close to stratospheric as well :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing the HMX SL details on the Scott MTBs.

I grabbed a 2017 Addict SL w/HMX SL earlier this year - electronic shipping only.

Seems HMX SL is alive and well, but just not on the road. Odd! So what are we missing?!

sfo423

by sfo423

Last years Solace had a shorter TT and taller HT than last years and this years Addict. Seems they scrapped the endurance geo for the top end bikes. Disappointing as I was considering it for a disc bike. Looks like Giant wins again!

Johnny Rad wrote:https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/products/bike-bikes-road-lightweight

First, the "endurance" Solace is no more. In it's place, there's the "regular" Addict that uses a similarly (same?) relaxed geometry as the Solace. Second, the "lightweight" option is called Addict RC (Race Concept) with the more aggressive (unchanged from earlier?) geometry.

Just wondering.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

After spending way too much time considering this, I've got two new thoughts...

(1) It's possible that Scott deep-sixed the Solace in favor of consolidating their branding onto a single brand name - Addict. Who doesn't want the top of the line model? In this way, Scott is giving the consumer what they want as long as they forget (or don't know) there's two separate geometries. Sneaky? Maybe.

(2) Maybe Scott is ready to update or freshen the higher-end (original real deal) Addict? It launched in 2013-14. Since then, the original Foil has been redesigned into gen 2. Since then, the Solace has been launched and replaced. The Addict is old in the tooth by comparison.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MAsshole

by MAsshole

I've read on the internet, perhaps on a thread here, that the HMX-SL wasn't used by the Pro Tour teams for a variety of reasons and that this could play a factor into why they stopped selling it?

If memory serves correct, the weight, or lack there of, caused some teams to turn away from it.