New Kinesis Aithein Evo frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LM7805

by LM7805

Kinesis have updated their Aithein frame

What are your thoughts on it? The frame weights seem to have gone up a bit (claimed 1.43 kg for 53cm red colour). They have changed from a pressfit to a threaded BB which I like, but then have changed to internal cable routing (I prefer external). I'm also not sure if they have updated the geometry chart, because the description states that they have slackened the head tube angle but the values in the table are exactly the same as the old Aithein.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

Geometry still seems ridiculously long and low in the smaller sizes compared to everything else on the market. I always liked these but the geometry seemed off to me, I'd read this was to be addressed with the new one but doesn't appear to have been according to what I've seen, maybe they have just forgot to update the chart... I wonder if they're heavier 'cos they've upped the weight limit?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Well its a race frame... The Kinesis would be one of the only stock frames that would fit me. Do some yoga.

Monkeyfudger

by Monkeyfudger

:lol: Happy for ya...

LM7805

by LM7805

The issue is not so much that it is long and low, but that the geo doesn't scale proportionally between sizes, and it is significantly off on the smaller frames. For example a size 47 (extra small) has a reach of 386.7mm which is the same as the reach on most other brands medium size. A CAAD12 size 54cm frame has the same amount of reach (38.7cm). If you compare for the larger sizes, the geometry gets less extreme, and is comparable to other race bikes.

mentok

by mentok

Where's the disc model? Also, the fit looks pretty similar to the old one according to the chart - i'm looking at 56/59 and I'd ideally take a 58...

Cherry red looks very nice fwiw...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

LM7805 wrote:The issue is not so much that it is long and low, but that the geo doesn't scale proportionally between sizes, and it is significantly off on the smaller frames. For example a size 47 (extra small) has a reach of 386.7mm which is the same as the reach on most other brands medium size. A CAAD12 size 54cm frame has the same amount of reach (38.7cm). If you compare for the larger sizes, the geometry gets less extreme, and is comparable to other race bikes.

Ultimately frame reach by itself doesn't paint the whole picture. The frame stack is very low and the head tube angle is slack (just like on all small road frames.) This means that adding spacers will reduce the bar/grip reach slightly more than on a larger frame. The geometry isn't that much different than an H1 50cm Trek Emonda or an XS Argon 18 Gallium Pro.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Well if you can't fit it, don't buy it. I'm 168cm and I would need a 120mm stem and setback seatpost for the bike to work for me still. So do some yoga.

LM7805

by LM7805

Kinesis have updated the Geometry chart on the website. The HTA has been adjusted and the frame weights are added.

mentok

by mentok

so similar to the original, just the head angle and then the resultant knock on to reach, tt, wheelbase, etc.

Crossing my fingers they do that cherry red when they do the disc brake version

Anyone wanting to get their hands on one, they're in stock at Sigmasport. Couldn't find them anywhere else though.

LM7805

by LM7805

The website now says that the minimum front chain ring size is 52T

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

mentok wrote:so similar to the original, just the head angle and then the resultant knock on to reach, tt, wheelbase, etc.

Crossing my fingers they do that cherry red when they do the disc brake version

Anyone wanting to get their hands on one, they're in stock at Sigmasport. Couldn't find them anywhere else though.

They're available at Pro Bike Kit too.

Marin

by Marin

LM7805 wrote:The website now says that the minimum front chain ring size is 52T

That's a joke, what were they thinking? I'd ride 46/34 if I was still building 2x bikes.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

A bit silly. At least 52/36 and 11-30 gets you the same low gear as 50/34 and 11-28.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

Okay. Anyone have any good reason why this is so? Front derailleur mount accidentally placed too high up…?