Ritchey NeoClassic so close to perfect but not quite...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

It surely depends on the levers how high up you can get them initially. I had to file down the rear of the body of my Campagnolo Records a bit in a certain spot to get them in the position I wanted but now they fit fine. My older Shimano 7800's fit fine without any adaptation though and can be mounted high up.

All levers will rotate more or less if you put them high up these bars. Because of the short reach the levers are close to the inward bend. However, as long as just the tip of the lever rotates outwards in the vertical plane and it is not the lever body that flares outwards in the horizontal plane I don't see it as a problem...

Try it and you will have the best bar setup currently available!
xcnick wrote:
Marin wrote:Your STIs look like they are sitting too low, for the angle in the pic you would have to reach almost straight down to avoid a bent wrist.

The STI's are set as high as they can be because the bar bends around to the tops quite sharply and as you bring the hood upwards it twists the STI body also rotates the level blade outwards. I'll take a pic later to make it clearer. I've seen these bars set up perfectly with sram shifters so wondering if shimano aren't quite suited.

I've played with the height of the stem and I'm happy with that, and I've got the drops at the right angle for me-it's just the hoods!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

I am in the EXACT same predicament!! Love the feel of more classic hooks/drops, however would like a more flat transition to hoods. Believe it or not, the shimano hoods actually mount quite a bit higher on the neoclassics than campagnolo hoods do. I've tried and tried, cannot get the position near where I'd like it.

Other bars I've looked at and tried:
-Zipp SL88 - way longer reach than Ritcheys, but flat transition with tons of room for adjusting shifter placement)
-Fizik R1 Snake - short reach, but way more drop. Good shifter placement though. These run sort of wide too, so 40's would be more like 42's from
most manufacturers.
-3T Tornova - haven't tried these but am considering, also very deep drop if i remember correctly.
-Specialized S-Works SL - no longer made, but occaisonally pop up on eBay. Classic bend with 130mm drop. Less flat of a transition, but I can get shifters in a good position.

xcnick

by xcnick

Ooh glad it's not just me, arizonahalfnhalf!! :shock:

I moved the shifters up a little higher-as much as the bar tape would allow cos I couldn't be arsed to take it off. By eye it doesn't look much different but it does feel quite a bit different! See pics below how I've now got them. Also how the lever flares out. Is this what you mean, Gazelleer? Also what did you do to your campy shifters exactly and for what reason?

Same problem with the Zipp SL88 for me too. Reach just too long, more suited to bigger guys.

TwiggyTN

by TwiggyTN

3T Rotundo's might be another option.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

xcnick

by xcnick

The rotundo looks the ramp to the shifter couldn't get much steeper? Similar to deda newton shalloe

havana

by havana

Rotundo > no flat transition between shifters and bar.

There's only one bar that fits the bill, but unfortunately that bar is discontinued: the Pro Vibe S-round. I found one on eBay the other day. Great bar, decals are hideous so I sent mine to the paint shop.

Editor-in-chief CycloWorld.cc - the largest database of gran fondo's and sportives in the world.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

havana wrote:Rotundo > no flat transition between shifters and bar.

There's only one bar that fits the bill, but unfortunately that bar is discontinued: the Pro Vibe S-round. I found one on eBay the other day. Great bar, decals are hideous so I sent mine to the paint shop.

The issue I had with the Pro Round bars was that the drops were too short. They needed another 2-3cm on there so that there would be plenty of real estate to rest your hands.

renoracing

by renoracing

I'll second what someone mentioned earlier. The older(discontinued) Zipp CSL SSR is what I run on a couple of my bikes. I love the pretty traditional bend and drops, however, they have the modern style shorter reach tops that transition well into Shimano hoods. I also really like the slight oval top shape, feels great climbing, and helps clean up the cable routing a bit.

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Question !

Is the idea not that a short reach bar like the SL-70 compliments a longer stem i.e 120 mm ?

Where as an SL-88 work with a 100 mm stem. You are effectively in the same place less 2.mm ?

But flatter transition onto the hoods if you can or like riding with a flat back / TT mode on a road bike ?

Slammed

by Slammed

xcnick wrote:
Slammed wrote:The Neo Classic is currently my favourite bar, but I do have some other favourites I quite like as well. The two others I'd reccomend trying are the older Pro Vibe round bend (2012 era) and the Fizik Cyrano snake bars. In most widths the Fizik bars are actually a lot deeper and longer than the Vibes, but if you go for the 40cm width the drop and reach actually shrink a little bit. But other than those bars, there are not a lot of options for nice round bars.

Thanks for that. What shifters are you using? The pro round bars don't seem to be available anymore. As for the fizik the 140 drop is a bit deep but if the 40cm is a bit shallower I'm gonna have a look at that

I'm running new Red currently but I've had many generations of Shimano before. The Ritchey bars don't quite give a flat transition to hoods like the other bars because they're a toned down traditional bend instead of a "round" bend. I also run my levers and bars up turned quite a bike.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Had the same challenge... the Ritchey NC is a big no no with sram hoods. I ended up with the Zipp SL88 which is perfect!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

xcnick

by xcnick

Slammed wrote:
xcnick wrote:
Thanks for that. What shifters are you using? The pro round bars don't seem to be available anymore. As for the fizik the 140 drop is a bit deep but if the 40cm is a bit shallower I'm gonna have a look at that

I'm running new Red currently but I've had many generations of Shimano before. The Ritchey bars don't quite give a flat transition to hoods like the other bars because they're a toned down traditional bend instead of a "round" bend. I also run my levers and bars up turned quite a bike.

I think this hits the nail on the head. The shifters position markings on the rear of the bar are nowhere near where a normal person would want their hoods at. The shimano hoods fitted to these bars on the pic of a full Ritchey bike on their website is clearly way above the marks!

Anyway I've thrown in the towel with these f*****g bars. Had some bad shoulder and neck pain lately and can only put it down to these bars. Swapped back to Zipp SL80 and pain gone. They're also 38cm vs neo's at 40cm. Maybe a factor.

Would like to try the SL88 but they don't make a 38cm. Come on bar manufacturers sort it out!

xcnick

by xcnick

The Pro round look perfect-why they've discontinued them is a mystery

kdawg

by kdawg

I thought they we're just bringing out a new version? Might be called something else too.

I bought the Pro Vibe and had trouble - my dealer called the distributor and they said they wouldn't have any for a couple of months so I got one online with Sky graphics (which will be painted to match my new bike).

I can't see them scrapping the whole bar line - that wouldn't make sense.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

kdawg

by kdawg

The Vibe and the Vibe alloy both say they come in round versions here?

https://www.pro-bikegear.com/global/en- ... handlebars
I'm left handed, if that matters.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com