Ritchey NeoClassic so close to perfect but not quite...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xcnick

by xcnick

I love the drops on the NeoClassic bars-hand sits flat on the drop and feels stable and the shifter and brake is really easy to reach. But though it looks like a nice flat transition to the hoods it is definitely not! My (small) hands don't fit flat on the hood and it makes my shoulders'neck ache. Are there any bars out there that anyone can recommend to solve the problem I'm finding or do I have to admit that classic bend don't suit me? :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I use the Neo Classic and love it. But if you are looking for a flatter transition try the Pro Vibe 7S round drop.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Deda zero bars not a classic shape though or psrhaps nitto m106

xcnick

by xcnick

The PRO round are what I thought would do the trick but it looks as if they might be discontinued. Only a few wide versions around.

Not a fan of the deda zero shape...and the nitto looks very similar to Zipp SL80's which are my last resort bars :)

Marin

by Marin

Your STIs look like they are sitting too low, for the angle in the pic you would have to reach almost straight down to avoid a bent wrist.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

How does it feel if you try 2mm drop on the stem/ bar?
Buy a few 2mm spacers and see if the small change in angle makes things better... or worse.

I also like the drop handle (horizontal), but not the bend.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

xcnick

by xcnick

Marin wrote:Your STIs look like they are sitting too low, for the angle in the pic you would have to reach almost straight down to avoid a bent wrist.

The STI's are set as high as they can be because the bar bends around to the tops quite sharply and as you bring the hood upwards it twists the STI body also rotates the level blade outwards. I'll take a pic later to make it clearer. I've seen these bars set up perfectly with sram shifters so wondering if shimano aren't quite suited.

I've played with the height of the stem and I'm happy with that, and I've got the drops at the right angle for me-it's just the hoods!

Marin

by Marin

Oh, I thought Sram hoods were hard to get high enough on some bars (Superzero) but Shimano were ok...

For reference, I follow Steve Hogg's ideas under point #5 here: https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... sitioning/

xcnick

by xcnick

Yep-steve hogg describes the compromise well. I find there's a compromise with hood comfort and reach to shifters in the drops.

Here's an extreme example of what happens when the shifters are lifted higher on the neoclassic....

https://www.fiets.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82955

ross

by ross

Zipp Service Course SL70 have a classic shape bend but flat lever transition, beware they also sell aero and ergo models of this bar

http://www.zipp.com/bars/service-course-sl-70---/#

xcnick

by xcnick

The sl70 only seem to be sold as ergo these days. Are you thinking of the older and now superseded SSR bars? They were very similar to the neoclassic shape

ross

by ross

Ahh yes I am - I have two pairs of the SSR bars, I didn't realise the SL70 aren't quite the same

Slammed

by Slammed

The Neo Classic is currently my favourite bar, but I do have some other favourites I quite like as well. The two others I'd reccomend trying are the older Pro Vibe round bend (2012 era) and the Fizik Cyrano snake bars. In most widths the Fizik bars are actually a lot deeper and longer than the Vibes, but if you go for the 40cm width the drop and reach actually shrink a little bit. But other than those bars, there are not a lot of options for nice round bars.

xcnick

by xcnick

Slammed wrote:The Neo Classic is currently my favourite bar, but I do have some other favourites I quite like as well. The two others I'd reccomend trying are the older Pro Vibe round bend (2012 era) and the Fizik Cyrano snake bars. In most widths the Fizik bars are actually a lot deeper and longer than the Vibes, but if you go for the 40cm width the drop and reach actually shrink a little bit. But other than those bars, there are not a lot of options for nice round bars.

Thanks for that. What shifters are you using? The pro round bars don't seem to be available anymore. As for the fizik the 140 drop is a bit deep but if the 40cm is a bit shallower I'm gonna have a look at that

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jo.k

by jo.k

Zipp SL-88?