S Works Tarmac or Scott Foil

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sweetmate

by sweetmate

I currently ride a Giant TCR Pro 0 2014 want to upgrade so have narrowed it down to either a S works Tarmac SL5 or Scott Foil latest. Your views and info would be much appreciated as i ride a small frame 48 to 50 hard for me to get a go on one.

I would build both up light as well.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

What do you want from your bike?

The Foil is aero. The Tarmac is not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

Are you getting a good deal on the "SL5"? I have one and its my favorite bike, but its not particularly light and about to be replaced with a dramatic departure. If you can get a deep discount its worth it. I don't think you'd be giving up much weight or stiffness and gaining aero with the foil though.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

The new Foil. It's not really an aero bike but has some aero advantages. Stiff and fast but can climb. Unless all you do is ride mountains, then tarmac.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Why not another TCR? I tested the S-Works Tarmac, Emonda SLR, and SS Evo last year and ended up buying the TCR SL. Has the weigh advantage of the Emonda and the stiffness of the Tarmac. Incredible bike!
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Bogan

by Bogan

Why is a Foil or Tarmac an upgrade? Can't say I have ridden a Tarmac, but have ridden a late model Foil. I will stick with the TCR.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

kgt

by kgt

+1
Not an upgrade really. In terms of manufacturing quality it is a downgrade.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I'd stick with the TCR too, but if I had to pick one it would be the Tarmac. I'd avoid the foil in smaller sizes because I suspect they use the same rake fork across the sizes which would lead to high trail figures (and generally poor handling).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

sweetmate

by sweetmate

Thanks guys very valid point about the new TCR. I was looking at the SL5 Tarmac as there is good deals to be had with it as obviously the new frame is out.

£3,250 is allot of moula for a tarmac frame i no its mega light though.

I meant upgrade as in a newer frame design and new bike.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Noctiluxx wrote:Why not another TCR? I tested the S-Works Tarmac, Emonda SLR, and SS Evo last year and ended up buying the TCR SL. Has the weigh advantage of the Emonda and the stiffness of the Tarmac. Incredible bike!

I personally really dislike the ISP. It's scary cutting it and then resale value is shot.

sharkman

by sharkman

Did over 100 builds with isp so far and never had a single problem with cutting and second hand isp equipped frames are rare and normally sell faster than non isp. Best of all it helps to make a better bike and i like the concept....

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

+1
I am also a fan of the ISP concept. Not an issue when selling my Cento Uno ISP frame btw.
Last edited by kgt on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bogan

by Bogan

Have to say ISP's are great.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

joepac

by joepac

The Foil would be perfect if it didn't have the chain stay mounted rear brake. I have heard that people tend to get more brake rub with that location. If that isn't a problem I'd go with the Foil just because it will be similar weight with more aero advantage...

Or just stick with TCR, it's a pretty good bike.

oraclesin

by oraclesin

S works Tarmac SL5 ... now S works Tarmac SL6...i recomend

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com