New Saddle: Selle Italia Carbonio Flow vs San Marco Aspide Carbon vs San Marco Mantra Carbon

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Hi there.. After 11000 km on Selle Italia Carbonio Flow seem that i need to replace it (the leather on the nose is damaged, and i can see the middle part of the saddle is sinked in).

I must say from point of comfort im very satisfied with SLR Carbonio flow.Very often rides when im whole day in the saddle and no problems (200-250 km).

The only slight problem i had with SLR Carbonio flow is thigh rubbing but nothing too much problematic.

Before this saddle i was using Specialized Romin Evo Pro which i bought based on short test ride and measuring my sit bones in 143 mm version. After owning some time i realized i dont like it, since i like to move on the saddle when i ride (i go in front when i climb something very steep, and im almost all the time in the saddle, not standing..)

With Romin never dialed the saddle tilt (if i was ok in the back, the front was not ok.. If front part ok, then back not ok..), so i realized i probably like flat saddles.

I know the best way to choose a saddle is to test ride it, but not possible where i live. When i was buying SLR Carbonio Flow, i decided just to order it without trying even it was narrower then Specialized SitBones measuring suggested (it's 132mm), and for me its best saddle i ever had (despite not lasting very long).

Just to mention on my MTB i use Specialized Phenom Pro, and it's acceptable (in 143mm), but on MTB it's different position so could not really compare, except that Phenom Pro is also flat saddle.

So now i have dilemma:

Should i buy again SLR Carbonio FLow, or risk with something else which will not be possible to test ride it.

Searching for new saddle i found two interesting saddles:

1. Selle San Marco Mantra FX Carbon (or Superleggera) narrow

2. Selle Sana Marco Aspide FX Carbon (or Superleggera) narrow

Does some of u have experience with them? Even better if u can compare them to SLR Carbonio Flow.

I can also see that from both saddle's there is cheaper version (Dynamic or Racing version) so maybe the option is to order first cheaper version, and if i like then later to order Superleggera? I like to climb a lot in the saddle not standing, and also riding long rides at least one per week (min: 120 km, very often more then 200 km)

Considering the light weight of Superleggera, i wonder why is not more popular on this forum?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Aspide is slightly curved while mantra is totally flat so it depends on what you prefer. The SLR is not flat though. Another interesting saddle is the Astute skylite vt.

3Pio

by 3Pio

kgt wrote:Aspide is slightly curved while mantra is totally flat so it depends on what you prefer. The SLR is not flat though. Another interesting saddle is the Astute skylite vt.

While looking for Aspide or Mantra i found Aspide copy from AliExpress for very cheap:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/San-Mar ... 264.Ti9vxO

Since there is no option for trying original San Marco, Is this an option to try and check if Aspide suit my butt or to dont bother?

Never used any copy by now, but maybe this can give me cheap option to test the saddle shape, so if its suit me to order directly original SuperLeggera version? (Im doing something like this with music.. Listening pirate version of some album, so if i like it im ordering the original)

This is worth trying as soon as it's safe and as soon the shape is still same as original...

kgt

by kgt

The copy has nothing to do with the original saddle. Weight, stiffness, comfort, foam quality will all be different...

3Pio

by 3Pio

kgt wrote:The copy has nothing to do with the original saddle. Weight, stiffness, comfort, foam quality will all be different...

Yeah i realized that as well :( But even if i get the cheap original version for test, still will be different compared to SuperLeggera or Carbon FX. And i guess even the shape could be slight different on chinese version, so probably not possible to test just the shape that way...

So the question is should i go directly to SuperLeggera or Carbon FX and risk (last time with SLR Carbonio Flow i was lucky in term of comfort), or first still to test cheap version (like racing) then if i like the shape to go with more expensive version...

kgt

by kgt

I would go straight for the carbon fx which is a bit heavier but much cheaper and looks as good as the superleggera. Just check whether the wide version is closer to the dimensions of the SLR.

3Pio

by 3Pio

kgt wrote:I would go straight for the carbon fx which is a bit heavier but much cheaper and looks as good as the superleggera. Just check whether the wide version is closer to the dimensions of the SLR.

Aspide Carbon FX Narrow version: 277mm x 132mm Weight: 144 gm (claimed)

278mm x 136mm Carbon FX Narrow version: 278mm x 136mm 140 gm (claimed)

SLr Carbonio Flow: 275 x 131 mm 122 gm (actual)

Based on that im very comfortable on SLR Carbonio flow for any distance riding, what version according to u have better chance to be compatible with my body? Mantra or Aspide?

slowK

by slowK

I have two San Marco Aspide carbon FXs (can't remember exactly which variant, but one is about 4 years old and the other is about 2 years old). Both were around 120g.

But more importantly, the Aspide has been the most comfortable saddle I've ridden. I just never notice it on a ride. Zero numbness issues. Previously I've tried a Fizik Aliante (terrible numbness), San Marco SLK (with the split wing seat - was OK, not super comfortable), and a Velo Flite copy (again OK, but not super comfy, occasional numbness). I don't know my sit-bone measurement, but I suspect I'm on the smaller size if that helps.

Mtek

by Mtek

3Pio wrote:
The only slight problem i had with SLR Carbonio flow is thigh rubbing but nothing too much problematic.

So now i have dilemma:

Should i buy again SLR Carbonio FLow, or risk with something else which will not be possible to test ride it

I wouldn't risk your comfort. Sounds to me like the SLR "friction free" model at be perfect for you.

https://www.selleitalia.com/en/saddles/ ... free-flow/

dmp

by dmp

One thing to be aware of- the current SLR kit carbon flow has a slightly different shape than the older version from about 5 (?) years ago. I have the old one on my carbon bike and a new version on my steel bike. They do not feel the same (I much prefer the older version). I do believe that this is not a fit issue, but truly related to the saddle shape. So depending on the age of your SLR the new replacement might not be exactly what you expect. My son has the Aspide on his bike and it is a very comfortable saddle for me, so I suspect it has good compatibility for those who like the SLR flow.

3Pio

by 3Pio

dmp wrote:One thing to be aware of- the current SLR kit carbon flow has a slightly different shape than the older version from about 5 (?) years ago. I have the old one on my carbon bike and a new version on my steel bike. They do not feel the same (I much prefer the older version). I do believe that this is not a fit issue, but truly related to the saddle shape. So depending on the age of your SLR the new replacement might not be exactly what you expect. My son has the Aspide on his bike and it is a very comfortable saddle for me, so I suspect it has good compatibility for those who like the SLR flow.

I have the new version of SLR Carbonio Flow, which i bought in January 2016 so i guess if i order SLR Carbonio Flow, will be exactly the same.

Since u have access to Aspide in same time with SLR Carbonio flow, can u please compare them more detailed? What main difference u notice between them? Which one u prefer for long ride? Some Pros/Cons for both? And which version of Aspide? Which one is better quality (will last longer)
Sorry for many questions, but definetely not chance to test ride and from what im reading seem that Aspide could be ideal substituion for SLR Carbonio Flow

slowK

by slowK

I forgot to say that the Aspide carbon has 7 x 9 mm carbon rails rather than round, which may or may not need a different seat post clamp.

3Pio

by 3Pio

slowK wrote:I forgot to say that the Aspide carbon has 7 x 9 mm carbon rails rather than round, which may or may not need a different seat post clamp.

I use Colnago Seatpost (original for C60), and Selle Italia SLR Carbnio flow also have 7 x 9 mm carbon rails so no need to change the seatpost. Even if i changed, it will be Deda Superleggera which is also compatible with 7 x 9 mm

dmp

by dmp

I can't give you a tremendously detailed comparison- I rode the Aspide for just about 3-4 days in the hills around Santa Barbara when I was in California visiting my son. No really long rides, but plenty of sustained climbs. It felt quite similar to my SLR in terms of comfort. It turns up at the back a bit more than the SLR, which I liked on climbs in the saddle. Width and support is about the same. I can't really comment on quality or durability.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sib

by sib

I have about 4,000km on my San Marco Aspide Racing version. My previous saddle (~12,000km) was an SLR Flow. And, like you, I tend to climb on the nose of my saddle.

They both feel very similar to me.
I think the SLR Flow has more give. Like yours, after prolonged use my SLR sagged in the middle. But I think this contributed to the comfort (it also gave an annoying squeak at times).

The Aspide is a much better looking saddle in my opinion. I also couldn't shake the feeling that my SLR Flow was never lined up straight - as if the saddle and the rails were joined at an angle.