Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 am
Posts: 1126
Location: South Florida
Another option is to do what I did due to the same ripping in the nose like you had: strip the padding completely off the SLR, sand down the edges a bit, and you'll be good to go. I was concerned with the no padding, but it has turned out even better as I know find sliding on the bare saddle a bit of a plus compared to when it has the padding. Comfort on it has not changed on it for me.


Top
   
Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:44 am 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
sib wrote:
I have about 4,000km on my San Marco Aspide Racing version. My previous saddle (~12,000km) was an SLR Flow. And, like you, I tend to climb on the nose of my saddle.

They both feel very similar to me.
I think the SLR Flow has more give. Like yours, after prolonged use my SLR sagged in the middle. But I think this contributed to the comfort (it also gave an annoying squeak at times).

The Aspide is a much better looking saddle in my opinion. I also couldn't shake the feeling that my SLR Flow was never lined up straight - as if the saddle and the rails were joined at an angle.



Can u explain what u mean by "SLR FLOW Has more give" ? From two, u get SLR Flow as more comfortable overall, and if u need to pick from those two u'll till go with SLR Flow?

And about Carbon Fx versio of aspide.. Somewhere i see the weight of about 123 gm, and somewhere 144 gm

So what is the actual weight of this saddle?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:03 am
Posts: 80
If I grip the rails and the top of the saddle and squeeze the saddles with similar force, the SLR Flow flexes more.
If I grip both sides of the saddle (at the back, where it flares out) and squeeze the saddles, the Aspide is rock solid but the SLR Flow has quite a lot of flex.
For me, I think the SLR Flow is a better fit and more a little more comfortable.

However, if I were buying again, I'm not sure which I would choose.
There's only a small difference in comfort, and I greatly prefer the looks of the Aspide. Also, I think I had alignment issues with the SLR Flow.


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
sib wrote:
If I grip the rails and the top of the saddle and squeeze the saddles with similar force, the SLR Flow flexes more.
If I grip both sides of the saddle (at the back, where it flares out) and squeeze the saddles, the Aspide is rock solid but the SLR Flow has quite a lot of flex.
For me, I think the SLR Flow is a better fit and more a little more comfortable.

However, if I were buying again, I'm not sure which I would choose.
There's only a small difference in comfort, and I greatly prefer the looks of the Aspide. Also, I think I had alignment issues with the SLR Flow.


With SLR Flow i have two small problems.

1. Thigh rubbing in the nose

2. Because it's a bit flexy, when i adjust the saddle level, after riding, when i check the position sometimes i found out that is a bit up or down.


So if u can tell me which of them have less thigh rubbing, u'll help me a lot.If Aspide shape make less chance for thigh rubbing in the front part of the saddle, probably will try... And still can not find the actual weight info for those saddle.

And yes.. ASPIDE is one of the best looking saddles :) and really hope that narrow CarbonFX version is not more then 125 gm weight.

And i just saw TUNE Saddles like Speed Needle (and Marathon version), and newer model Komm-Vor (and Komm-Vor plus). Except they are ugly, why they are not so popular on this forum since seem based on reviews they are very lightweight, similar priced as SLR Carbonio Flow/Aspide Carbon FX and based on reviews seem like comfortable as well?


Top
   
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
dgasmd wrote:
Another option is to do what I did due to the same ripping in the nose like you had: strip the padding completely off the SLR, sand down the edges a bit, and you'll be good to go. I was concerned with the no padding, but it has turned out even better as I know find sliding on the bare saddle a bit of a plus compared to when it has the padding. Comfort on it has not changed on it for me.


This look like good advice, and probably will try it. May i ask u for a photo of stripped SLR ? And i guess u also have thigh rubbing in the front of the saddle as i have sometimes?


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:03 am
Posts: 80
3Pio wrote:
So if u can tell me which of them have less thigh rubbing, u'll help me a lot.If Aspide shape make less chance for thigh rubbing in the front part of the saddle, probably will try... And still can not find the actual weight info for those saddle.


I've had no thigh rubbing on either the SLR Flow or the Aspide so I can't really help much.
But, the SLR is slightly wider at its widest point, and it starts to flare out a little earlier (further towards the nose) than the Aspide.

One other thing to note, the cut out shape and location is quite a bit different on the two saddles.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
sib wrote:
3Pio wrote:
So if u can tell me which of them have less thigh rubbing, u'll help me a lot.If Aspide shape make less chance for thigh rubbing in the front part of the saddle, probably will try... And still can not find the actual weight info for those saddle.


I've had no thigh rubbing on either the SLR Flow or the Aspide so I can't really help much.
But, the SLR is slightly wider at its widest point, and it starts to flare out a little earlier (further towards the nose) than the Aspide.

One other thing to note, the cut out shape and location is quite a bit different on the two saddles.



Thanks sib.. Very helpfull..

In meanwhile i visited my local lbs and i we had a chat about the Aspide and saddles at all. I mention AliExpress copy and guess what? :) Some other guy was also beeing curious so order it. After test ride he did not like it, and just left it in the LBS if someone else want to try it.. So just from curiosity i take for a test ride. Ill test ride it next days, and i'll share my opinion here.

On the first sight, look like exact copy of the original. But there is no flex at all, and look like very stiff and probably not comfortable (dont know if there is some flex at all on original as well, since i never had chance to see original in real). At least i'll have a chance to test ride the shape of Aspide.

Anyway, i extend my saddle choices and wondering everyone opinion (i want to save some weight if its possible with the new saddle).

Im riding a lot of climbs, but also long rides often (150-220 km once per week ussually), so it have to be comfortable (i know personal choice and need to test ride it, but i guess there is other SLR Carbonio Flow users here, with the same dilemma since not possible to test ride them).

This is my final list of saddles:

1. Selle San Marco Aspide (SuperLeggera or Carbon FX Version. Is there any comfort difference between them? Or just weight? And any actual weight information for narrow version)

2. Berk Lupina Carbon or Padded version? (is there any comfort difference between them?)

3. AX Lightness Leaf Plus (or Leaf II not padded version) (i dont like it because is 143 mm, but maybe it can work)

4. Tune Komm-Vor or Komm-Vor+ (seem like nice saddle. I dont like the fact that is short saddle but i got mixed information about the length.. Somewhere i read 250mm, somewhere 260mm, somewhere 265mm. What is the real length ? ) Why this saddle is not more popular on WeighWeenies community?

5. Tune SpeedNeedle Marathon (same dilemma as Komm-Vor. What is actual length? 250, 260 or 265mm)?


Also to mention that i dont use chamois creme (until now never needed), and using normal quality bibs (Giordana CarbonRed and Giordana cheaper version, or Castelli also cheaper version). It's interesting that for me im getting more comfort with Giordana cheaper version, then CarbonRed.


So which one of the list have best chance to be comfortable for long rides and to be comfort (and weight saving) substitute of my SLR Carbonio flow? Or to dont waste time and to just order SLR Carbonio Flow once per year :)


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 pm
Posts: 186
Location: Denmark
i can chip with some weights on the aspide fx, i use to run a narrow aspide fx, the new type that you can buy now, i switched to a berk lupina, i couldn't be happier, i don't think that the aspide is a bad saddle, the shape works great for me, but the lupina is just over the moon, just need to find the correct angle, and then it's perfect.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
Attermann wrote:
i can chip with some weights on the aspide fx, i use to run a narrow aspide fx, the new type that you can buy now, i switched to a berk lupina, i couldn't be happier, i don't think that the aspide is a bad saddle, the shape works great for me, but the lupina is just over the moon, just need to find the correct angle, and then it's perfect.


If u can measure the weight of Aspide FX for me, very thankfull.. And about Lupina? do u have Padded version or bare carbon? Since i never ever rode bare carbon saddle, should i be worred about sliding on the saddle?

And how is Lupina for rides longer then 6-7 hours, because often im on 10-12 hours ride....


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 pm
Posts: 186
Location: Denmark
i have the 3k gloss version without padding, i actually feel that i move a bit because it's a bit more slippery than the aspide, that, that actually works for me.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:04 pm
Posts: 186
Location: Denmark
i weighed the aspide at 123 grams


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
Attermann wrote:
i weighed the aspide at 123 grams



Thanks a lot.. Good to know that Carbon FX Version is still same weight as SLR Carbonio Flow


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:10 am
Posts: 1126
Location: South Florida
3Pio wrote:
dgasmd wrote:
Another option is to do what I did due to the same ripping in the nose like you had: strip the padding completely off the SLR, sand down the edges a bit, and you'll be good to go. I was concerned with the no padding, but it has turned out even better as I know find sliding on the bare saddle a bit of a plus compared to when it has the padding. Comfort on it has not changed on it for me.


This look like good advice, and probably will try it. May i ask u for a photo of stripped SLR ? And i guess u also have thigh rubbing in the front of the saddle as i have sometimes?

ImageImageImage


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:34 pm
Posts: 124
Location: Romania
Interesting topic, as I had enough of my current Aliante 00. My first road bike came with Fizik Ardea VS (fairly flat top with shallow cutout). I got along with it reasonably well but ended up hating it for several things:
-too much of that easiness of moving up and down. I felt like i was wasting too much mental energy constantly sliding around, never finding a sweetspot
-when stretching low for aero/descends, my butt would easily feel like falling off the bike.
-worst of all, the rear V cut would let all the wheel spray in my crack.

So I bought a curved saddle, the Aliante. One position, no more constant guessing of where to sit. It is actually very comfy for a short ride, or a long ride with low power. But when I hammer for more than 1h, it kills me. If I stay in the curve, the perineal pressure is almost unbearable. So I naturally move back and climb more on the raised rear section. But at the end of the ride, both seatbones and hamstring ends are beat.

So now I am thinking again at a flat(ish) saddle and the Aspide SL is high on the list: super light and under 300e.


Top
   
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:08 pm 


Top
   
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:13 pm
Posts: 794
@dgasmd Thanks for the pictures.

@Alexandrumarian

I'll have a chance to try Fizik Arione 00. Friend who work in LBS have it, so he offered me to try it. He is not satisfied, and he is looking for something else.

BTW, i also have Specialized Romin Evo Pro and remind me what u describe about Aliante. For low power long ride it can be ok, or for short ride. Have problem with the angle. If i put angle that is seat comfortable where i should seat, then the front tip make me numb. If i put it lower, im sliding on uncomfortable part. Still, i havent ride this saddle after my Fitting, so planing this days to give it a chance again (it's like new).And having Aspide chinese copy, so as soon as i ride those saddle i'll share my experience. Maybe that's the best shape (to be slightly curved, but not too much like Romin or Aliante).

For now if i like the ASPIDE shape (if i can check that from the copy), i'll probably order FX. If i dont like too much, maybe Berk or again SLR Carbonio Flow (except slight thigh rub, and that is not lasting too much, im satisfied).

Also my LBS friend (who have the Fizik Arione), think that with flex build in SLR Carbonio Flow, that he will loose a lot of power. I did not recognize something like that for now.

Still cant understund why not so much love on the forum for German LightWeight Saddles.. (Tune SpeedNeedle and KOMM-VOR)


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. Ebay: Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow with coloured stripe?

in Road

jemima

12

1329

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:54 am

jemima View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. San Marco Regale Carbon FX Stack Height

in Road

Stolichnaya

3

618

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:29 am

Denavelo View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Selle italia k. Carbonio vs Fizik Arione/Antares

in Road

gitsome

11

1655

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:23 am

madik View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) fizik braided carbon rail on selle italia monolink seatpost

in Road

seansis

8

813

Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:24 pm

seansis View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Attachment(s) Selle Italia C59

[ Go to page: 1 2 ]

in Road

leej88

19

4038

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:16 pm

dgasmd View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], oreoboreo, Rippin, stormur, Zitter and 44 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited