Looking for Lake CX237, CX332, Bont Vaypor +, S-Works S6 owners

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Rone69

by Rone69

Hello to all
I have to buy a new pair of cycling shoes, unfortunately I have very wide feet and poor foot circulation, so I need wide and well-ventilated shoes with a lot of volume in toe box.
I've DMT R1 (44), but it's very very hot, the ventilation system lack's and they have poor volume on the toe box (but the heel fit it’s good) ....
Also I've Sidi Genius 5 Mega, more volume on the toe box, more ventilation, but closing system it's not the best and the upper is not very soft and aging is further hardened.

Reading here and there it seems to me that the Lake CX237 wide, CX332 extra wide, and maybe S-Works S6 wide might be my case. Unfortunately, Bont Vaypor + double wide, are no longer available, it's out of stock and Bont don't produce them any more.
Unfortunately, all these shoes are not in the shops in my area and I should buy them online.
Since this shoes are very expensive, before making a wrong purchase, I'd like to have your little help.

Is there any owner of these shoes, size 44 wide or 44.5 wide or similar?
I would like to ask them a courtesy, could you make the shape of the insole?
With some reference to the measurements in inch or cm? (See example).
I would be useful to understand if the shoes in question can fit my feet.

Currently i am willing to buy Lake CX332 extra wide, within a few weeks Lake will add the CX332 extra wide to the catalog, basically the CX332 extra wide will have the same width and volume as the CX237 Wide.

I would also appreciate a few comments on ventilation / breathability and space in the toe box and any problems encountered with these shoes.

Many thanks in advance.

PS: In the attached image you can see the shape of the DMT R1 insole (size 44), which are a bit narrow at metatarsus and very narrow and poor volume in the toe box.
Attachments
Wide feet
Wide feet
DMT R1 insole 44
DMT R1 insole 44

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rone69

by Rone69

I'm in trouble ... Lake CX332 or Bont Vaypor+

Im afraid that Shimano has the toe box with poor volume for my feet

sungod

by sungod

bont...

. fully mouldable
. afaik it has the same bi-directional boas as the vaypor s so you can micro-adjust tension on the road
. way better/more durable heel than the silly one on the lake's
. maybe a bit lighter too

Rone69

by Rone69

Which is the best ventilated?

ODC

by ODC

Had the lake cx237 and they where not good at all.
I had always ridden with giro's size 45.
Looking at there table i must need a 44 wide. Ordered a 44 wide but the toe box was to small and strange enough my giro's felt wider.
Thank god you can send them back.

roadman

by roadman

I have both the CX332 and CX301 in Wide and the CX237 in normal width in Size 44

The lasts are extremely different, the CX237 being high volume and wide in the normal width, the Wide was too wide for me, and the CX332 and 301s are a generally slimmer last all round.

I find the 301 fits me best (wide forefoot but medium volume instep) and so have a set of 332s lying around (VGC) if interested.

Rone69

by Rone69

Within a few weeks Lake will add the CX332 Extra Wide to the catalog, basically the Extra Wide CX332 will have the same width and volume as the CX237 Wide.
I think the CX332 have better heel protection, this is one of the reasons why I abandoned the idea of buying the CX237 preferring the CX332.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I had Lake CX236 wides. They were not well ventilated at all. Very warm shoes. Comfy, but warm. I got ride of them because I did not like the BOA system on them. On the 236es, the one BOA dial was behind the heel. No matter how much I tightened it, my heel would end up slipping - basically the BOA tension would allow my heel would slide out as it tightened around my toes.

I also had two pair of Specialized BG Pro in wide. They were good enough. Definitely well ventilated. The first pair, ca. 2008 were great. They eventually tore, with the upper separated from the carbon sole. Specialized replaced them under their lifetime warranty, and the new pair was different. I didn't like them as much.

I've also done Shimano wide. They were wide enough, but I didn't like the fit. It seemed to me that Shimano took the regular width outsole and slapped a semi-rigid foam piece over it to widen the shoe.

Sidi Megas were just too big for my feet - my heels are narrow but my toes are very wide.

I tried regular width Bonts, they cannot be molded wide enough. I have not been able to find wide Bonts, and when I last inquired, I was told they weren't making the version I wanted in wide anymore. They did offer me the Asian Fit, which is wider than regular, but not as wide as I need.

Anyway, I ended up giving up on regular shoes and went with semi-custom Riivos with the custom insole. They are awesome and well worth the investment.

commendatore

by commendatore

The S-works are wide in name only. So pass on that.

silvalis

by silvalis

Hmm, my foot looks a lot like yours except I'm a size smaller. Width about the same.

Was on shimanos (r260) and tried vaypor+ 43W (and sworks at the shop that weren't even close to fitting, and some DMT that were way too wide at the ankle), but didn't work out.

Went to a cycling podiatrist and got 237 wides in 43. They modified (sand down) the stock insole to make a bit more volume at the small toe.
Vaypor+ were wider at the toe but about the same around the ball. The lakes are a flat carbon sole rather than a tub, so allows the leather to stretch somewhat which vaypors don't let you do. Did not get along with the vaypor arch due to flat feet (molding did nothing to help), plus the lake heelcup is narrower (vaypors are meant for fat ankles)

Venting on the 237 is pretty average compared to the R260 shimanos. Better than vaypors though.

The non replacable (riveted) plastic heel tread is absolutely rubbish on the 237. My left shoe heel pad is almost gone after a year.

I'll replace these with more lakes next time I get around to it. I've also learnt that I can't wear the tub style lakes (tried 402s) because the middle of my foot likes to expand when I put weight on the foot.
Chasse patate

Rone69

by Rone69

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

So, now I'm in trouble between Lake "CX332 extra wide" and "Bont Vaypor+ 2016 wide".

It would be interesting to know wich of them it's the best ventilated....

silvalis

by silvalis

I strongly suggest you try a Bont on before you buy it, unless you don't care how much you lose reselling it.
Chasse patate

check6

by check6

Rone69 wrote:Thanks to all for the suggestions.

So, now I'm in trouble between Lake "CX332 extra wide" and "Bont Vaypor+ 2016 wide".

It would be interesting to know wich of them it's the best ventilated....

I've been rocking Cx331s here in Florida for about 3 years now. Ventilation in the heat has never been an issue for me. Also, I have EE width feet. I decided to go with the standard 331s since the wide fit do not come in Speedplay specific sole which . I bought full cedar shoe trees and wrapped them in duct tape such that they work to stretch the ball of the shoe to better accommodate my flipper foot. I must say that it has worked really well for me and the shoes are comfortable and have worn really well.

...now if they would only make their speedplay specific models in wide too.

tomee

by tomee

i have wide feet and wear s-works 6.
the trick for me is to not tighten up the front BOA dials too much because the material is supple and allows it to bend more.
They have been super comfortable.

Rone69

by Rone69

tomee wrote:i have wide feet and wear s-works 6.
the trick for me is to not tighten up the front BOA dials too much because the material is supple and allows it to bend more.
They have been super comfortable.

you have normal size or wide size?
I try the normal size but it's too narrow for me and the wide size isn't available in normal shop.
Catch me a curiosity, how is ventilation of S-Works S6?

silvalis wrote: I bought full cedar shoe trees and wrapped them in duct tape such that they work to stretch the ball of the shoe to better accommodate my flipper foot. I must say that it has worked really well for me and the shoes are comfortable and have worn really well.

...now if they would only make their speedplay specific models in wide too.

I want to make the plaster casts of my feet, and use them to widen the shoes ....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com