How to be less nervous b4 a race?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Didi

by Didi

Helo guys,

I'm a new member here, 17 years old. Been riding for half a year. I went for a race last weekend. I did it terribly and I'm disapointed at myself. The problem was, I was too nervous before and during the race. It makes my heart rate increase, definately no one wants that to happen to him/her. It feels asthough you've hit your max heart rate even at rolling start. Taxes your energy.

Does anyone have any tips on how to overcome nervousness before and during a race?

Thanks alot!!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mark U

by Mark U

Hi Didi

Have you raced before ? Where you as nervous then ?
Did you warm up before the race ? When I was racing I was often quite nervous before the start but concentrating on warming up and on my breathing would help a lot . I was still a bit nervous , if I ever felt totally relaxed I usually did worse in the race . During the race itself I was usually hurting too much to think about anything else !

I guess this should be in the Training section .

Boonen

by Boonen

Hi Didi, don't be disappointed in yourself! I think most people that just start racing have this feeling more or less. Why are you so nervous, are you scared of crashing? Try and ride up front in the bunch, this might cost you some more energy, but if you are riding at the back it costs you a lot of energy to keep up after every corner as well. Descide for yourself that if all the other guys can do it, so can you! Don't be scared not to finish (well) in races, as long as you learn something from every race you do you will do fine. As you race more you get more experience and I'm sure you'll get more relaxed and start feeling at home in the peleton. Give yourself some time to adapt! Racing is a lot more then just riding a bike as fast as you can from A to B.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

actually that nervous energy can be good, it shows you care enough about the race. research has shown (i don't remember where, so i guess this has become one of those 'they said this' comments) that athletes that get nervous before their events do better than those that don't. Seasoned pros still get nervous before their races, it's natural!

Sure your HR is elevated for a bit, but in the long run it's not that big of an issue... if you're that worried about your HR standing at the line think of it as your heart is getting a head start for the effort you're about to do... sorta like reving the engine. The increased blood flow also helps you accellerate and make sudden efforts.

for me, the butterflies and noodly legs usually go away in the first few miles of a race. by the time I'm so jaded as to not get nervous before a race, it'll probably be time to try something new
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

Speed Racer

by Speed Racer

I just keep telling myself that it is just a training ride. If you pretend that it is just a club ride it helps to calm the nerves.

zakeen
Resident Pro

by zakeen

Skyleth wrote:actually that nervous energy can be good, it shows you care enough about the race. research has shown (i don't remember where, so i guess this has become one of those 'they said this' comments) that athletes that get nervous before their events do better than those that don't. Seasoned pros still get nervous before their races, it's natural!

Sure your HR is elevated for a bit, but in the long run it's not that big of an issue... if you're that worried about your HR standing at the line think of it as your heart is getting a head start for the effort you're about to do... sorta like reving the engine. The increased blood flow also helps you accellerate and make sudden efforts.

for me, the butterflies and noodly legs usually go away in the first few miles of a race. by the time I'm so jaded as to not get nervous before a race, it'll probably be time to try something new

I agree!

Having a high HR is not bad at all. Sometimes I get to the start of a race feeling so un-pumped I hate it when they take off at the start. So use your high HR as an advantage. Plus if you get more nervous because you see your HR so high, just put some tape over it. No point knowing this in a race, only good for after to see the results and what you need to work on.

Stay positive, enjoy your racing and bend those cranks!

Good luck.

marko

by marko

Work with your nervousness. Try to turn it off before an event, but put it on at the start line. Don't get stupid nervous, but get that adreniline pumping. I learned to be too relaxed for a race, and now have a hard time tapping into the pump when needed. I would go to a crit hyped and ready to fight, but more relaxed for a road race. In motorcycle road racing you could go into a dream like trance aflood in adreniline to the point you would only feel the motions, and the lap times were very good. Since it has been hard to turn on the bodies best and free energy. You do need to work on concentration at high emotional states to not go into "Tunnel Vision". When the everything slows down like a slow motion car crash and the world around you dissapears into only going faster and harder, then you have arrived at a very special place. Much harder on a pedal bike as there's all this leg and lung pain involved. Don't fear the nervousness, be a part of it.

mises

by mises

Skyleth wrote:actually that nervous energy can be good, it shows you care enough about the race. research has shown (i don't remember where, so i guess this has become one of those 'they said this' comments) that athletes that get nervous before their events do better than those that don't. Seasoned pros still get nervous before their races, it's natural!

Saw some science show on TV that studied top performers in golf and the best got just as nervous as the guys that choked but right before it came time to hit the ball HR, respiration, etc. all dropped to more normal values. So don't worry about nerves before.

The ones during are just your brain telling you it doesn't think you are well enough prepared and that will diminish with experience.

Clarkster

by Clarkster

Didi,

Nervousness is not a problem unless it forces you to make mistakes and forget things that are important to your day.

As you gain experience in racing, you will establish a routine that involves making sure your bike is okay, that you have all the right clothing/food/gear sorted out, and you're warmed up and at the start in time.

Once you get a few more races under your belt, you'll still get some nerves, but you will be so focused on your preparations that the nerves will only help you to sharpen your performance on the day. :wink:
Bike + Clarky = :)

I love Krank

BBAGDAN

by BBAGDAN

the more you race the less it matters and the stress goes away.

particularly once you win a race and discover that probably no one even noticed you cross the line, and maybe your mom and friend watching were the only people who cheered or clapped, then you'll realize that winning is very hollow at the amateur level.

enjoy training and spending time with others who love the sport. if you don't perform well here and there, it's not like there's a 1000 fans who are going to write nasty letters. chillax.

of course, i'm usually victorious, so i'm jaded.

Dalai

by Dalai

Didi - if the nerves still don't settle down, think about going to a good Sport Psychologist.

They will help you develop the tools to perform at your best. Such as a pre-competition routines, trigger words to help you reach an optimal arousal state prior and during racing, positive mental imagery tips and relaxation techniques just to name a few.

To find a good Sport Psychologist in your area, get in contact with your States Sports Institute and ask for recommendations.

If this isn't a possiblility, at least borrow some Sport Psychology books from your local library.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com