2018 Madone 9.0

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nycjwi

by nycjwi

Anyone know what the changes are from the 2016 9.0??
thx

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

This has been pretty well covered. Bar/Stem combo replaced w/ standard bar and stem, Ultegra 8000, Aeolus Comp (formerly Aura 5's) vs. Paradigm Comp wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Pity there is no disc brake version.

/a

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

It doesn't fit in the model range, and for the life of me, I cant understand why anyone would want an all-out aero race bike, and cripple it with such an in-aero device. Madone isn't a "climbing" bike. For that, go with an Emonda (disc, if you like). For flat, all-out efforts, I'll take rim brakes. They stop just as well given the situation.

eric01

by eric01

We are seeing disc TT / Tri bikes right?

I think there is a market for a disc brake madone. For me personally I would choose rim over disc, but that's just me.

Trek will do the market research. If there's demand and they think they can make some money -- they'll build one
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Just because we're seeing them doesn't make them the right/logical choice. I'm not opposed to disc brakes, but I think they have a time/place, and an aero bike isn't it. I mean, why bother putting disc brakes on a bike that uses it's brakes once, maybe twice in a race? On a tri-bike, given that most races aren't "draft legal", you aren't racing in a pack, so you should have more than enough time and be able to anticipate a turn or when you're entering the transition. The same applies to a TT bike.

Trek will do the market research, and release something, I'm sure. There's money to be made (potentially), and what's the downside? None, really.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I'm not going to dispute that discs are not aero. They aren't...

I don't wish to eliminate rim brake bikes.

Someone looking for an allrounder. Someone that wants to descend fast and with confidence. Even though the descent might just be 5% of the route. Rest might be 50% flats

The workswell r081 looks not bad but more disc options in other brands would be nice.

Just saying...

/a

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

alcatraz wrote:I'm not going to dispute that discs are not aero. They aren't...

I don't wish to eliminate rim brake bikes.

Someone looking for an allrounder. Someone that wants to descend fast and with confidence. Even though the descent might just be 5% of the route. Rest might be 50% flats

The workswell r081 looks not bad but more disc options in other brands would be nice.

Just saying...

/a

Also if you switch to disc on other bikes and want the flexibility to share common wheelsets. Wheelsets that will presumably last a lot longer without braketracks to wear out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com