SRAM knurled nut installation issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Time stem bolt that was giving my some issues had some excess paint or something adhered to it beneath the head which may have been preventing it from getting in quite far enough to seat. I used an awl to get rid of that then cleaned everything up with acetone so it was all grease free, in hopes that there would be as little chance for slippage as possible. Then when it started to spin, I just kind of gave it a very "quick" spin to sort of hope that it would grab enough so I could torque it down. It seemed to work. I also use Loctite 222 on bolts like that to help prevent them from loosening up.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ti473

by ti473

does anyone know if the knurled nut can be easily removed? I bought a set of HB cranks that have the spider, basically just to use the rings. I am installing them on a set of red 22 where the HB just mounts directly onto the crank.
Thanks,

nayr497

by nayr497

Older thread, I have a Sram Rival 1x crankset, needed to swap the 5-bolt chainring, as it was worn out. I reused the chainring bolts, was able to gently seat the hidden bolt nut with a rubber mallet. Then went ahead and carefully threaded in the bolt, then installed the other 4 bolts/nuts and did them up in a star pattern. Thankfully the knurled nut seated itself by pulling up on the bolt. Phew! No vice needed, which is always nice!
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.