Chainrings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

glepore

by glepore

Need a set of 50-34 in 110 bcd. Will be run on Quarq/Sram crankset. 10 spd. Are Praxis forged rings worth the premium over FSA Pro machined or Sram rings? Any other recommendations?
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

morganb

by morganb

Are you running a SRAM drivetrain? If you are I'd do SRAM rings, if anything else Praxis, I've had subpar performance with pretty much every set of FSA rings that I've run.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

audiojan

by audiojan

Yes, Praxis are definitely worth the extra money. Shifts much better and you'll notice the stiffness difference.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Stiffness comes from more materials used. Heavier chainring = stiffer chainring. Forging doesn't make Praxis stiffer.

A while back someone had said the Praxis is crap compared to Sram chainrings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

With SRAM Red, I found the shifting to be better with Yaw rings than Praxis. Praxis is alright, but the old Force 10s rings shift just as well as my Buzz rings and weigh less (121 vs 131g).

@glepore, I sent you a pm, check your inbox.

DJT21

by DJT21

RyanH wrote:With SRAM Red, I found the shifting to be better with Yaw rings than Praxis. Praxis is alright, but the old Force 10s rings shift just as well as my Buzz rings and weigh less (121 vs 131g).

@glepore, I sent you a pm, check your inbox.

I'd avoid the old Force/Rival style 10 speed chainrings; they shift ok on a 130BCD, but I don't rate them on a 110BCD.

kfreytag

by kfreytag

Perhaps a useless addition given that I ride Shimano, but the Praxis rings on my ROTOR 3D+ shift as well as a Dura Ace 9000 crankset. I'm running Praxis rings on two bikes and wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Quality and function are top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Life's too short to ride clinchers.

Current:
Parlee Z-Zero ISP
Santa Cruz Stigmata CC

Past:
Ridley X-Fire Disc

sungod

by sungod

i prefer praxis to sram red chainrings, shifting is fine (used them on mechanical red and on etap), i found the red rings wear relatively fast

the benefit of cold forged vs. machined rings is that the forging process changes the structure of the metal, forged parts are tougher - i think only praxis and shimano cold forge chainrings, the finish of the teeth is also noticeably better than my sram red rings

glepore

by glepore

Ryan was kind enough to send on a pair of 50/34 sram rings. Over a brief 50 mile test, I noticed no difference between them and the praxis 52/36 they replaced. Given that in 30 years of cycling I've never worn out a set of chainrings, suspect I'm ok.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Hexsense

by Hexsense

i prefer Wickwerks chainring.
Shift best in the bunch, better than Shimano (have Praxis, Red and Wickwerks, used to own Shimano 6800 crankset).

Their 53/34 ratio look boss too (i don't own that combo)
https://wickwerks.com/products/road-bik ... ide-53-34/

alastairb

by alastairb

Praxis way better than FSA; much stiffer resulting in greatly improved shifting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com