New Frameset: Decisions, decisions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Seedster

by Seedster

I would opt for the trek based on aesthetics. The viper red team color or white looks great. That said, I have not ridden either so can't add any value to the discussion besides looks and reputation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Who cares about aesthetics? That's all everyone talks about. The S-works seems like the better frame based on stats and stiffness. The SLR is light at the expense of being able to pinch the frame and you can feel it flex. No thanks.

TonyM

by TonyM

The S-Works in red please!!

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:The Emonda is also significantly less expensive than the Tarmac even if you get a custom paint job through Project One. Aesthetics are of course subjective. The concavity and curves on the Emonda are pretty striking in-person, though I guess the trend right now is squarer looking bikes.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of my Emonda and a friend's new Tarmac Ultralight for academic purposes.

TobinHatesYou,

Could you tell me what's the maximum tire width you can fit on your bike? I've read that Trek specifies 28mm on the Emonda disk. However one reviewer said he thinks a 30mm will fit. I'm interested in fitting a Panaracer GravelKing 32mm tire which is measured at 30.5mm wide and it might expand to 31mm over time.

Also, one tester commented on how twitchy the bike is with the H1 fit (short wheelbase, large toe-overlap). Could you comment on this? I don't want a bike that's overly aggressive. Thanks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Thenuge wrote:Who cares about aesthetics? That's all everyone talks about. The S-works seems like the better frame based on stats and stiffness. The SLR is light at the expense of being able to pinch the frame and you can feel it flex. No thanks.

I don't notice any undesirable flex in the main triangle, but I only weigh 135lbs. The fork has a tiny bit of splay, which I want to say is beneficial. I'd wager you are probably in the minority if you value a fractionally stiffer frame over aesthetics.

pdlpsher1 wrote:
TobinHatesYou,

Could you tell me what's the maximum tire width you can fit on your bike? I've read that Trek specifies 30mm on the Emonda disk. However one reviewer said he thinks a 32mm will fit. I'm interested in fitting a Panaracer GravelKing 32mm tire which is measured at 30.5mm wide and it might expand to 31mm over time. Thanks.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions. The tires pictured are 25mm Zipps that measure 26.5mm wide. I think 32mm will be really tight at the chainstays.

check6

by check6

That S-Works is one of the better looking bikes I've seen.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:I'll let you draw your own conclusions. The tires pictured are 25mm Zipps that measure 26.5mm wide. I think 32mm will be really tight at the chainstays.

Thank you. From the second picture it appears that there's hardly any clearance on the chainstays. Maybe it's just the angle. The seatstays appear to be OK. Would you say the limiting factor on tire clearance is on the chainstays? We do have a Trek dealer here but sadly many bike shops don't ever stock a high-end bike anymore.

Beautiful bike and paint job by the way.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Measured my tires again. They've plumped up to 27mm after stretching and I manage to slip the handle of a 5mm hex key between the chainstays and tire so the chainstay width is 5+27+5=37mm. That leaves you a 2.5mm gap with 32mm tires.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:Measure my tires again. They've plumped up to 27mm after stretching and I manage to slip the handle of a 5mm hex key between the chainstays and tire so the chainstay width is 5+27+5=37mm. That leaves you a 2.5mm gap with 32mm tires.

Thank you for checking.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thenuge wrote:Who cares about aesthetics? That's all everyone talks about. The S-works seems like the better frame based on stats and stiffness. The SLR is light at the expense of being able to pinch the frame and you can feel it flex. No thanks.

I don't notice any undesirable flex in the main triangle, but I only weigh 135lbs. The fork has a tiny bit of splay, which I want to say is beneficial. I'd wager you are probably in the minority if you value a fractionally stiffer frame over aesthetics.

pdlpsher1 wrote:
TobinHatesYou,

Could you tell me what's the maximum tire width you can fit on your bike? I've read that Trek specifies 30mm on the Emonda disk. However one reviewer said he thinks a 32mm will fit. I'm interested in fitting a Panaracer GravelKing 32mm tire which is measured at 30.5mm wide and it might expand to 31mm over time. Thanks.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions. The tires pictured are 25mm Zipps that measure 26.5mm wide. I think 32mm will be really tight at the chainstays.

Trek are you serious. Not that I want discs on my road bike but if I did I would refuse to buy this external cable routing on the fork. This is as unsightly as anything I can think of. Surely they can route it inside the fork like everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODC

by ODC

And why not the new BMC SLR01?
The rear triangle of the new Tarmac SL6 is like a copy paste from BMC.
Speaking of the rear traingle and surely the seat tube is that you may need to keep in mind that the new SL6 is very slooping (in my case). In my size 58 and saddle height 81.5cm the seatpost came out a lot.
In my opinion the new BMC has a stiffer bottom bracket then the SL6 (test ride both). Head tube wise was the same but i didn't like the stems they used on the test bikes. My Zipp SL sprint makes the front end from my old colnago EPS even stiffer.

Other points from the new BMC SLR01
- direct mount brakes,
- DI2 junction box installed in de downtube,
- direct mount hanger for the rear derailleur;
- use off 28mm tires,
- cable stop in the head tube, for no creaking sound, if you choose the 'rim brake' version.

jin28h

by jin28h

but many peoples love Tarmac... and I think there is reason for their being..

DJT21 wrote:That S-Works is one of the worst looking bikes I think I've seen.

pointernegro

by pointernegro

morrisond wrote:I don't have the numbers for a regular Tarmac but just FYI...

The S-Works Tarmac and Emonda SLR are two totally different bikes in terms of stiffness.

TOUR has measured the Emonda SLR at 52N/mm in the BB (Tour considers 60N a number high enough for a Perfect Grade) and 84N/mm in the Headtube (Below Perfect as well)

TOUR has measured the S-Works Tarmac at 84N/mm on the BB and 120 on the Headtube - Thats 61% stiffer in the BB and 39% stiffer in the headtube.

I think your C59 would be a lot like the Emonda in terms of stiffness.

The Tarmac may be too stiff - but how much do you weigh? If you are a bigger guy you may not find the Emonda noodly but it may not have the performance and feel you are after.

Try before you buy if you can.

BTW the C60 is measured at 60 in the BB and 92 in the Headtube. Supposedly it's stiffer than the C59 so that may be a good route for you to go.

Morrison, would you be so king to post the numbers of the Cervelo R5 2018 and others interesting frames (look 785, F10...) if available??

Thanks.

kgt

by kgt

One can find frame stiffness numbers at roadbike.de as well
Stiffness numbers do not tell all the truth though...

vamoots58

by vamoots58

Well my 'dilemma' has evolved. Had the opportunity to ride an Emonda a week ago and found it wasn't as stiff as I had hoped. I have also cooled on the Tarmac, I actually like the looks, but will need to buy brakes, and likely a new crankset as I have read that Campy Ultra-Torque and OSBB don't play well together..easily anyway. Am thinking about the C60, but don't have an opportunity to ride one. As I stated before, my C59 is the most comfortable bike i have ever ridden, but I would like more stiffness. As an owner of a couple of Moots, still have two, sold the other, also considering the RSL. Having trouble finding consensus on the differences between c59 and c60, love to hear from anyone who has ridden both!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com