Canyon Ultimate CF Evo

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Somebody actually has this frame or bike?
All comments and semi-reviews on the website tell me it's as stiff and as good as the normal Ultimate but lighter.
I'm about to buy a medium sized frame to build a light allround bike.
One could argue to take the normal Ultimate frame but it is not available in size medium for the moment and I do like the idea to have a very light frame...even if I'm 79kg myself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sussexhills

by sussexhills

I've got a very old Ultimate CF so not worth commenting but I know people who ride newish CF's and SLX's and there doesn't seem to be much in it other than weight, personally I'd save up and go with the SLX as I know I'd end up regretting it eventually if I didn't.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

OP is referring to the ultralight Evo which no one I know has nor seen one in the wild.

hanakuso1

by hanakuso1

I'm curious as well. I noticed it's using the leaf seat post. I hope that doesn't mean it's not compliant

hypercycler

by hypercycler

my friend got the frame a few months ago and it's been sitting in his office (i know.. don't even go there)... he's getting in all his parts and will build up within the next couple weeks. I have a regular 2017 Ultimate SLX myself (same size) and will try to make some comparisons.

vamoots58

by vamoots58

I called Canyon USA the other day to inquire about framesets. They said they expect to have them available in the next couple of months (read: by year end), also said the EVO would be available in that same timeline. Was in the process of deciding between the '18 Trek Emonda SLR or '18 Specialized Tarmac, but now may wait and see about the EVO availability.

sussexhills

by sussexhills

kkibbler wrote:OP is referring to the ultralight Evo which no one I know has nor seen one in the wild.

My bad. It's a lot of money for a frameset, but does look rather tasty. I haven't seen any ride reviews which makes me a little sceptical, how come no test units have gone out to the press?

DJT21

by DJT21

sussexhills wrote:
It's a lot of money for a frameset,

It's definitely alot of money for a Canyon frameset. And it's not even got a nice paint job.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Yes it's a lot of money. I agree on that part of your comment.
But the next part... :noidea:
You pay even more money for a Specialized S-Works and Specialized S-works UL.
So why would that not be a lot of money 'for a Specialized frame'?

Yeah and on the paint-sheme, that's a personal choice.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Anybody any comment on this frame?

galr1

by galr1

I’m riding an evo, have the build list and a couple of pics on the intro forum.

More than happy with the frame set, the vcls seat post seems a strange choice so I got rid of that and went for something lighter. Otherwise don’t think you can go wrong with this - the ultimate just works, and saving a chunk of weight is a nice bonus.

Resale value on the post and bars is good too so you can always sell those on and offset the cost.

Personally I like the understated look so this is hopefully going to age well compared to other bikes, I like to hang on to my gear so it is something I consider.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

I recently totalled my Pinarello - and my knee, and my bum, and my elbow, etc. Perhaps I should actually write "a pickup truck recently totalled my Pinarello", but that's a longer story and one I don't want to rehash.

Anyway, I'm currently building up :

Ultimate CF EVO Frameset Electric, size small
eTap Red 52-36 11-28 (red 22)
Quarq Dzero
Red 22 Chain
DA 9100 calipers (sorry SRAM, I could never get dialed into the feel of those Red brakes)
DA 9100 pedals
Berk Lupina
Venn VAR TCC 35 rims with Pirelli Pzero velo *or* Fulcrum 35 carbon with Pirelli Pzero (undecided which ones I will run)

Assuming my body is healed around the same time the bike is built, I'll happily post some impressions.

hannawald

by hannawald

Why Venn Var? It doesn't look like budget bike:)

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Dunno. I have both the Venn's and the Fulcrum carbon's next to the pile of parts, and either one (in my opinion) would be perfectly suitable. Stuff like AX lightness is way beyond my wallet stretching abilities these days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

It will be definitely a very nice bike. I would complete that with Cane Creek Ee brakes (works well and go better with Sram:) and Speedplay Zero pedals with chinese titanium spindles (again proven weightweenie combination)..
With rim brake wheels it is hard but it seems there are lots of good offers on used Lightweight wheels on this forum. Or Fulcrum for good braking...