Campagnolo 11 speed using 34/50x11/36! Yes it can be done with PRE-2015 Athena LC Big Gears on Campagnolo 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

colnagoaddict

by colnagoaddict

After years of trying to get more than 32 in the back, I finally stumbled upon the ultimate campy Everesting gear set to get to 34/50x11-36 without a road link. I have Campagnolo Pre2015 Chorus and Athena (and record on one too) and using the ATHENA LONG CAGE 11s rear mech I was able to go big/big and little/little without ripping out the RD in 50x36 and without any slack in 34x11. there is a bit of inside FD rub on the 50-36 but it is just an audible reminder to not use that cross gear dummy! there is plenty of spring left in the RD, however, I would never suggest running that gear on purpose, BUT it does not come close to pulling out the mech or locking the chain up. So the MAX rear cog on a PRE 2015 Campy setup is 36! No road link needed. I tried the road link and found that in any of the multiple Campy 11 speed versions that have multiple clicks on the rabbit ear downshift it is sloppy because you can basically do half shifts etc, but I did ride it with 11-40 with no real problems. it just wasn't as fast and crisp as Campy is "native". I was going to try the road link on the Athena 11 speed that is a single click, but my LBS guru mechanic Sal and I saw that there was a lot of clearance, so we swapped out the freehub to a Shimano and popped on a SRAM 11-36 and it worked great!!!! the SRAM works PERFECTLY with the 11s Campy and is fast and sharp as expected. I am waiting on getting my 11s Chorus with multiple clicks and I will re-post if it is not great. BTW yes I am 51 years old and have big hills near me...BIG hills. I can't seem to post pics here so https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7nfdlz7k3t8l ... Xp3Ea?dl=0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Also possible on a trek domane using ultegra 6800 long cage derailleur. Got a sram pg1130 36t cassette there and in fact there is space for a 38t. Although the RD is not able to take up more chain slack.

/a

jih

by jih

If you could hack/reprogram EPS to never go into big-big, you could probably exceed the standards by quite a lot. Not that I know you could do that.

colnagoaddict

by colnagoaddict

Shimano has always been more flexible, I ran an XTR on my wife's ultegra bike to get to 36 no problem. It seems the Italians are much more sized challenged. The problem with Campy 10s 9s etc is the lack of available cassttes. With 11 they are so close that campy can finally play nice with Shimano and sram in the rear.

colnagoaddict

by colnagoaddict

With EPS I have seen pics of swapping out the new potentenza cage with the medium cage on the SR. I did this on my non-eps super record 11s mech and it works great! Horrors or horrors I now have an alloy RD cage instead of the carbon blind blind but I also have 32t in the back so I guess function over form and a 30 gram penalty is worth it to me. You have to make sure it is the same version. There is a little "A" stamped on the newer RD and shifters to know they are the same pull ratio. Being able to go for 29 to 32 does not sound like much until you hit 15%+ grade and then it is a world if dirrerence. Might try a cassette hub switch and see if 34 works but the potentenza is medium cage not long cage and ripping out a $400 derailleur on a 4k frame is a pricey risk to take for 2 more teeth.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

For my CX/off-roader I use cheap 9 speed 11-32 Shimano MTB cassettes respaced with Campag spacers.
9 sprockets, 10 speed spacing. Block off the medium rear mech with the limit screw and 50/34 is fine. Chain length with a short rear mech was able to stretch to fit, but marginal to the point of "going to fail sooner or later".

colnagoaddict

by colnagoaddict

well, now you can go Campy 11speed and do it right up to 36! LOL.

colnagoaddict

by colnagoaddict

So I took my Super Record modified with a 2016 Potenza rear cage swap and I am running an 11-36 PERFECTLY!!!! it really is almost too many gears but with some steep long climbs, it is a real knee saver. I won't be getting KOM on strava, but I also won't be getting a titanium knee! Rode it 15 miles today and it works perfectly. Yes, Big Big is at 45 degrees and a little scary honestly, but my LBS super mechanics all think I am safe. I am going to swap out another Potenza rear cage onto a nice 2015 carbon Chorus on a master x-light and climb the snot out of it! Campagnolo is honestly brain-dead or likes to lose market share if they don't at least go to 34. Hell, they don't even need to retool. It works on an older Lemond and new and old Colnagos, so it will likely work on most anything. It is crisp and fast and I don't have to use Shitmano with a road link! See pics attached. Hope this helps some old geezers with new campy rigs get up Mt Everest. All in it cost a new cassette, a Potenza donor rear mech and a freehub body switch if you want to convert the wheel. MUCH cheaper than a new groupo.
Attachments
20170825_214733_resized.jpg
20170825_214611_resized.jpg
20170825_214656_resized.jpg

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

For 2018, Chorus/Record/Super Record all have medium cage options so Campy are at least listening a little bit.

colnagoaddict

by colnagoaddict

great. better late than never. thanks for the info

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Tried 36 sprocket with original 10 speed Record ... poor shifting on biggest sprockets and too much cross chaining.

I much prefer triples.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

raisinberry777 wrote:For 2018, Chorus/Record/Super Record all have medium cage options so Campy are at least listening a little bit.

Interestingly, Athena Triple cage is only 82mm ... whereas 10 speed triple cages were 89mm.

c50jim

by c50jim

Interesting setup. I'm running 11-32 with and old Athena 11 long cage and Chorus group that works fine. For lower gearing, I swapped to a 46/30 White crank on my travel bike. At 66, I don't need a 50/11. Heck, even the 46/11 is a higher gear than the 52/13 I had on my first good bike that I bought in 1984 when I was half my current age.

TonyE

by TonyE

I see that an 11-36 “can” work with a Compact Crank (50-34) and Athena Triple Rear Derailleur!
I don’t like pushing things too far!! My thoughts are “modified” CX Crank (46-34 or 33) & Athena Triple R/D! If I change to Shimano/SRAM cassette, what would a realistic size to try?
As a fat, unfit (old) lorry driver! I hope to be able to use an 11-34 (initially).

colnagoaddict

by colnagoaddict

If you are planning on ditching the 50 for a 46 up front you should be able to go 11-36 in the rear with NO danger whatsoever. I am doing 34/50 by 11-36 with 3 campy rigs with no problem. I honestly dont really ever use Big Big anyway but if I do it is perectly safe with enough slack left not to damage anything. Good luck fellow fatso. Lol.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com