Veloflex / Open Tubular max internal rim width safety

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

Hello everyone,

I am awaiting the delivery of two pairs of tyres: Vredestein Superiore and Veloflex Master, both in 25mm.

On another thread I started, someone mentioned that the maximum advisable internal rim width for 25mm tires should be no more than 17c. He mentioned he got this info from Veloflex. Now, he hasn't replied to my question on where he found it, but reading around the interweb it looks like every manufacturer recommends the ETRTO chart guideline where, yes, 17c is the max recommended for 25mm tyres to mount safely.

However, I wonder how are people experiencing these with wider rims. I have a Cero AR22 wheelset with 19c internal. At the moment, Schwalbe Pro Ones are in, 25mm version as well. No issue with those, but I read that Open Tubs like Veloflex stretch a bit after a while and knowing that my rims are on the next wide side up on the ETRTO scale, I'm wondering about whether it would be safe to mount those tires on my rims. More so especially since they run narrower than all other clinchers around.

Any experience from anyone here running Veloflex clinchers on 19c and wider internal rim widths?

Thanks!

c60rider

by c60rider

I've just fitted Veloflex master 25mm on the new Mavic Open Pro rims which are a C19 rim (I read somewhere they measure 18.6mm internal). I have yet to complete the bike and ride on them so I'll be interested anyone else's feedback. They've come out really big compared with the C17 rims I've fitted them on (Bora Ultra) but I don't have an actual measurement just yet but when I get chance I'll have a look and compare.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dj97223

by dj97223

My clinchers are Veloflex 23 on Velocity A23 rims, and I've had zero issues.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

dj97223 wrote:My clinchers are Veloflex 23 on Velocity A23 rims, and I've had zero issues.

Damn. OK, Cool. Do you mind if I ask for how long and things to watch out for?mWhen I see photos of the bead I sort of see that they are a bit rounded compared to the molded tyres. Also, how long have you used that combo and have you tried running their 25s as well?

EDIT: Forgot to also ask about tire pressure. Thanks!

Thanks,
Last edited by possibleweenie on Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

c60rider wrote:I've just fitted Veloflex master 25mm on the new Mavic Open Pro rims which are a C19 rim (I read somewhere they measure 18.6mm internal). I have yet to complete the bike and ride on them so I'll be interested anyone else's feedback. They've come out really big compared with the C17 rims I've fitted them on (Bora Ultra) but I don't have an actual measurement just yet but when I get chance I'll have a look and compare.

If I udnerstand this right, you have fitted an already used pair of Veloflexes (used on your Bora Ultra) to your new Mavic Open Pros? Did they stretch as people say they do?

I think I'll be getting my new batch of Velox tape tomorrow. I'll take my wheels off, take the Pro Ones out and measure the actual inside width of my rim as well to compare.

hmai18

by hmai18

I ran Masters on 20mm internal rims (SL23) without issue.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

hmai18 wrote:I ran Masters on 20mm internal rims (SL23) without issue.

Which width of of the masters and at what pressure? if you don't mind me asking.

That would be the SL23 v2, right?

Thanks,

hmai18

by hmai18

Master 25mm.
SL23 v2.
I weigh 135lb. I ran them at 50 front, 60 rear.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

possibleweenie wrote:
dj97223 wrote:My clinchers are Veloflex 23 on Velocity A23 rims, and I've had zero issues.

Damn. OK, Cool. Do you mind if I ask for how long and things to watch out for?mWhen I see photos of the bead I sort of see that they are a bit rounded compared to the molded tyres. Also, how long have you used that combo and have you tried running their 25s as well?

Thanks,

Velocity A23 is 18mm wide http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-622
Going 1mm over ETRTO is not even a concern.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mentok

by mentok

hmai18 wrote:Master 25mm.
SL23 v2.

Echoing this:

Master 23mm
SL23 v2 & Forza
80kg, 80psi f+r

no problems at all.

I have had issues with master 23mms on tubeless ready mtb rims which wouldn't give a nice bead lock until the pressure got way up to ~130psi. I could deflate them back to riding pressures, but this was a pain in the arse for repairing flats on the road.

Marin

by Marin

Master and Corsa 23mm on Light Bicycle 18c and Kinlin 19c rims, no issues.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

mpulsiv wrote:
possibleweenie wrote:

Thanks,

Velocity A23 is 18mm wide http://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/a23-622
Going 1mm over ETRTO is not even a concern.

He is 2mm up from the ETRTO recommendation (if you look at the mavic chart) and, I think, 3mm if you look at another chart that Schwalbe passed around where 15c was the max rim size suggested for 23mm tyres.

EDIT:

Found two charts: One from 2007 (shows 23mm tyre on max 15c) and another more detailed one from 2016...?
Attachments
ETRTOSchwalbe.jpg
schwalbe-ETRTO-rim-and-tire-width-recommendation-chart.gif
schwalbe-ETRTO-rim-and-tire-width-recommendation-chart.gif (11 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Last edited by possibleweenie on Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

mentok wrote:
SL23 v2.

Echoing this:

Master 23mm
SL23 v2 & Forza
80kg, 80psi f+r

no problems at all.

I have had issues with master 23mms on tubeless ready mtb rims which wouldn't give a nice bead lock until the pressure got way up to ~130psi. I could deflate them back to riding pressures, but this was a pain in the arse for repairing flats on the road.

Hi there. Thanks for the info. Any idea on why the difficulty on tubeless ready? would it be the width or the shape of the clincher crochet?

Thanks

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

SL23 v2.

Wow. That's pretty low pressure. Considerably lower than suggested. Did you use latex or butyl inner tubes? I would have thought lower than 60psi, even for someone of your weight, could mean pinch flats.

Thanks,

dj97223

by dj97223

possibleweenie wrote:

Thanks,

I've had this combo for several years, but the last few years I've run tubulars most of the time. Pressure usually is 80/90 PSI. I weigh about 150. I've not tried the 25's.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com