Veloflex / Open Tubular max internal rim width safety

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

dj97223 wrote:
possibleweenie wrote:
dj97223 wrote:My clinchers are Veloflex 23 on Velocity A23 rims, and I've had zero issues.

Damn. OK, Cool. Do you mind if I ask for how long and things to watch out for?mWhen I see photos of the bead I sort of see that they are a bit rounded compared to the molded tyres. Also, how long have you used that combo and have you tried running their 25s as well?

EDIT: Forgot to also ask about tire pressure. Thanks!

Thanks,

I've had this combo for several years, but the last few years I've run tubulars most of the time. Pressure usually is 80/90 PSI. I weigh about 150. I've not tried the 25's.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

possibleweenie wrote:
c60rider wrote:I've just fitted Veloflex master 25mm on the new Mavic Open Pro rims which are a C19 rim (I read somewhere they measure 18.6mm internal). I have yet to complete the bike and ride on them so I'll be interested anyone else's feedback. They've come out really big compared with the C17 rims I've fitted them on (Bora Ultra) but I don't have an actual measurement just yet but when I get chance I'll have a look and compare.

If I udnerstand this right, you have fitted an already used pair of Veloflexes (used on your Bora Ultra) to your new Mavic Open Pros? Did they stretch as people say they do?

I think I'll be getting my new batch of Velox tape tomorrow. I'll take my wheels off, take the Pro Ones out and measure the actual inside width of my rim as well to compare.

These are brand new veloflex tyres as I binned the old bora ones as the the sidewalls were torn by the carbon rims

hmai18

by hmai18

possibleweenie wrote:
hmai18 wrote:Master 25mm.
SL23 v2.
I weigh 135lb. I ran them at 50 front, 60 rear.

Wow. That's pretty low pressure. Considerably lower than suggested. Did you use latex or butyl inner tubes? I would have thought lower than 60psi, even for someone of your weight, could mean pinch flats.

Thanks,

Latex, but I also realized that I automatically typed the pressure I'm currently running in my 28mm Schwalbe Ones. For the Masters, I was probably closer to 55/65 or 60/70. No pinches on either setup.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

hmai18 wrote:
possibleweenie wrote:
hmai18 wrote:Master 25mm.
SL23 v2.
I weigh 135lb. I ran them at 50 front, 60 rear.

Wow. That's pretty low pressure. Considerably lower than suggested. Did you use latex or butyl inner tubes? I would have thought lower than 60psi, even for someone of your weight, could mean pinch flats.

Thanks,

Latex, but I also realized that I automatically typed the pressure I'm currently running in my 28mm Schwalbe Ones. For the Masters, I was probably closer to 55/65 or 60/70. No pinches on either setup.

Cool. Thank you. I am running Pro Ones (Well, was, I just unmounted them) How do you find the Ones in 28? My 25s were about 29mm on my rims.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

c60rider wrote:
possibleweenie wrote:
c60rider wrote:I've just fitted Veloflex master 25mm on the new Mavic Open Pro rims which are a C19 rim (I read somewhere they measure 18.6mm internal). I have yet to complete the bike and ride on them so I'll be interested anyone else's feedback. They've come out really big compared with the C17 rims I've fitted them on (Bora Ultra) but I don't have an actual measurement just yet but when I get chance I'll have a look and compare.

If I udnerstand this right, you have fitted an already used pair of Veloflexes (used on your Bora Ultra) to your new Mavic Open Pros? Did they stretch as people say they do?

I think I'll be getting my new batch of Velox tape tomorrow. I'll take my wheels off, take the Pro Ones out and measure the actual inside width of my rim as well to compare.

These are brand new veloflex tyres as I binned the old bora ones as the the sidewalls were torn by the carbon rims

I see. Yes, Veloflex actually advises against using their clinchers on carbon rims because some may be a bit sharp on them.

I just measured the inside diameter of my rims: 19.2mm

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder