Where do you see SRAM mechanical going?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

Mech Red is now a few years old and only saw an aesthetic update when eTap was released. You hardly ever see it specced on top end builds, especially now that there are more direct mount bikes coming out. What do you want or expect to see on the next iteration? 12 speed, a clutch 1x option, stay 11 but somehow get substantially lighter?

euan

by euan

To be the only groupset series that is properly offering usable reach adjustment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sussexhills

by sussexhills

I think a truly versatile 1x system for road bikes has to be on the horizon. This may even mean a whole new standard for freehub/dropouts. The only limitation I can see is the 11t not being any smaller.

Failing that I'd like a tidier solution for front mech cable tension like the new DA instead of inline cable barrel adjusters and some better brake calipers.

The possibilities for eTap on the other hand are endless..

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

They already have an XR road casette driver, a 10-28,30,32,36 series of cassettes would be awesome for 1x11 Road drivetrains and CX builds.
Using Tapatalk

jlok

by jlok

Maybe Red 12...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

It has certainly been a long time since Sram updated their mechanical groups. At the very least they should get around to updating their hydraulic levers and calipers with the new Bleeding Edge edge system and contact point adjustment, and hopefully make the hoods a little slimmer at the same time.

nickf

by nickf

12 speed is coming to the road for sure. I hope they don't change much when they do make a change. Hoods are comfortable, shifts are precise, weight is low. I agree that the hydro systems need a update, those hoods are hideous.

madik

by madik

would be strange from marketing point of view to release 12 speed mechanical groupset and leave the eTap on 11s for the time beying. eTap is pretty new (2years?). Unless they would have workaround with new cassettes and firmware upgrade for the eTap, which would be cool.

but certainly SRAM have to be cooking something. Their road groupset lineup expect for the eTap is getting pretty old, nothing major has been released in 3-4 years again except the eTap.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

topflightpro

by topflightpro

I agree that 12 is likely coming. Sram's already done it on the MTB side. It seems they tend to push the tech on MTB then trickle over to road.

And while Sram road groups aren't commonly spec'd, Sram is all over the place for OEM mountain bikes. All my hardcore MTB buddies love Sram.

nickf

by nickf

madik wrote:would be strange from marketing point of view to release 12 speed mechanical groupset and leave the eTap on 11s for the time beying. eTap is pretty new (2years?). Unless they would have workaround with new cassettes and firmware upgrade for the eTap, which would be cool.

but certainly SRAM have to be cooking something. Their road groupset lineup expect for the eTap is getting pretty old, nothing major has been released in 3-4 years again except the eTap.

Def just a firmware update for etap.

The cassette for the road will be dished to accommodate the 12th gear, something like that. Just what i heard nothing is fact.

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

morganb wrote:Mech Red is now a few years old and only saw an aesthetic. . .

Nothing aesthetic about SRAM stuff. Ugliest group out there along with the new Dura Ace with that hideously gigantic rear derailleur.LOL

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

your opinion man, your opinion...
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Any rumors about Force eTAP? I'd be interested for something more affordable for training/rain bike.
1x11 is great for gravel/rain bike. Looks like 42t chainring with 11-36 cassette is same as 50/34 with 11-28 cassette. I have no reason to bomb downhill in foul-weather on training rides thus could care less about top speed.

Am I dreaming or should we expect 1x11 eTap Force with hydralic setup in the near future?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Etap clutched would be nice too.
A 46/10-32 1×11 combo would be great on a training rig.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seedster

by Seedster

MyM3Coupe wrote:
morganb wrote:Mech Red is now a few years old and only saw an aesthetic. . .

Nothing aesthetic about SRAM stuff. Ugliest group out there along with the new Dura Ace with that hideously gigantic rear derailleur.LOL

Hate to agree, but i feel the same way. Whatever they come out with, they need help with its appearance. They need to black out E-Tap pronto.