Dogma F8 sizing help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Hiya,

some of you may have noticed my thread on a climber's bike... I managed to find a good deal on a Dogma F8 and am seriously considering getting the frameset...

They have both the 53 cm and 51.5cm...

I measure 175cm, have an inseam of 80 cm (converts surprisingly well to my Retul recommended saddle height of 70.6cm).

I currently ride a Giant Propel, size M. I have had a bike fit done on it and feel very comfortable on it, HOWEVER, my saddle is maxed out as far as it will go towards the stem on the rails. To get the saddle down as necessary, I had 1 cm cut off the bottom, otherwise the seatpost would hit the "wheel arc". I run a 100 mm stem, two spacers underneath, one on top atm. I have 38 cm bars.

Based on the fitment guides of the Dogma, I don't know which size would be best for me... height wise, it seems like the 53, seat height wise the 51.5...

Comparing the geo of the Propel and the Dogma, the 53 is closer - same reach, a little less stack.

From Retul below, stack and reach correspond to the Propel, on which it was done...

Any ideas as to what I would be better off with? I started riding a two years ago and have medium flexibility, I would like the frame to grow with me...

I also have a Specialized Crux, size 54, built up to be a winter training bike/gravel bike... I find it a tad big, honestly - but that is also due to the fact that I run 42 cm bars for leverage...

(on a side note - I briefly had a Giant TCX, size M, and felt waaaaaay to cramped on that in terms of my legs - my knee on the pedal stroke was aligned with the stem bolts. I would like to avoid this feeling...)

Giant dimensions are here: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/propel-advanced-1
Dogma F8 here: http://www.pinarello.com/en/bike-2018/road/dogma-f8

Thank you!

3Pio

by 3Pio

mike001100 wrote:Hiya,

some of you may have noticed my thread on a climber's bike... I managed to find a good deal on a Dogma F8 and am seriously considering getting the frameset...

I measure 175cm, have an inseam of 80 cm (converts surprisingly well to my Retul recommended saddle height of 70.6cm).

I currently ride a Giant Propel, size M. I have had a bike fit done on it and feel very comfortable on it, HOWEVER, my saddle is maxed out as far as it will go towards the stem on the rails. To get the saddle down as necessary, I had 1 cm cut off the bottom, otherwise the seatpost would hit the "wheel arc". I run a 100 mm stem, two spacers underneath, one on top atm. I have 38 cm bars.

Based on the fitment guides of the Dogma, I don't know which size would be best for me... height wise, it seems like the 53, seat height wise the 51.5...

Comparing the geo of the Propel and the Dogma, the 53 is closer - same reach, a little less stack.

From Retul below, stack and reach correspond to the Propel, on which it was done...

Any ideas as to what I would be better off with? I started riding a two years ago and have medium flexibility, I would like the frame to grow with me...

I also have a Specialized Crux, size 54, built up to be a winter training bike/gravel bike... I find it a tad big, honestly - but that is also due to the fact that I run 42 cm bars for leverage...

(on a side note - I briefly had a Giant TCX, size M, and felt waaaaaay to cramped on that in terms of my legs - my knee on the pedal stroke was aligned with the stem bolts. I would like to avoid this feeling...)

Giant dimensions are here: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/propel-advanced-1
Dogma F8 here: http://www.pinarello.com/en/bike-2018/road/dogma-f8

Thank you!

Im 175 cm, 82-83 cm inseam, and medium flexibility as well.

And this is my Retul measurements:

I was also thinking should i get 51.5 or 53 (at the end i bought Colnago C60 50S), and i was test ride 51.5 with 120mm stem. I was using 20 or 25mm spacers under the stem, and it feel comfortable as size.

In same time i tried Dogma 60.1 53 and also owning Pinarello Fp3 in 53. I had appoitment to try Dogma F8 in 53, but i decided that not needed, so did not try.

53 is more relaxed, more sluggish geometry, 51.5 is more reactive, quicker, and more agressive..

Probably if i was buying Dogma F8 ill get it 51.5 (but worried that i have only 5 mm more spacers space if its needed, and i expect in the future my flexibility to be weaker (im 42)). From the other side, i have better flexibility now, then last season :). 51.5 fell like better size for climbing, more crisp handling on downhill... Yes, probably ill bought a 51.5.

I also payed for analysis of sizes 51.5 vs 53, so if u like i can send u that as well (in pvt).

From comparation with Proper, 53 is closer match to ur M size. So maybe it's safer bet. if u get 51.5 the reach wont be a problem, but only stack. So also compare how many spacers u use on the giant u ride now, and compare how may spacers will be on Dogma F8. If's more then 30mm, then it's small, go size up..

If i can help with something else, feel free to ask

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

I am 175.5cm and ride an f8 in 53. I use a 120mm stem. Very stable bike. I

could ride a 51.5 too but the head tube is much lower which would mean I would need a bunch of spacers whereas in the 53 I need none.

FWIW Kwiakowski is 176cm and rides a 53 with a 121mm stem (looks like when you're a superhuman you can get you stem at custom lengths - that 1mm must make a difference!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avispa

by avispa

mike001100 wrote:some of you may have noticed my thread on a climber's bike... I managed to find a good deal on a Dogma F8 and am seriously considering getting the frameset...
I measure 175cm, have an inseam of 80 cm (converts surprisingly well to my Retul recommended saddle height of 70.6cm)

Hello Mike... We are almost the same height and inseam. My saddle height is also set at about the same. In my opinion both of those bikes will be too big for you and you are going to end up with the seat post being inserted way too much. I ride Pinarello and use a size 47 (Cavendish geometry) on both a 65.1 and a F8. The 47 frame is actually a bigger bike than the 50cm! So, imagine the 51.5.

I do like an aggressive look/fit on my bike and I have only 10mm of spacers under my stems. So there are other things to think about. Please PM me so we can exchange more info. I have also been fitted on a RETUL system.

Cheers.

..A..

Boshk

by Boshk

Theres a few websites that give F8 sizing charts.
This is a UK one, https://www.thebikerooms.com/pinarello- ... zing-guide

I'm 172cm and they recommended 47 or 50.....there was another forum topic on 'F8 size' and the general consensus from guys who have a F8 was 47/50 for a 172cm guy so for you, I'll imagine 51.5 would be ideal.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I'm 168cm ride a F8 with 100mm stem, happy with the fit. Have also had a 65.1 think 2 size 51.5 w/90mm stem was ok but always "felt" a little big. Would buy size 50 if I need to repurchase.

BB
BB

Coffee & carbon

Boshk

by Boshk

beanbiken wrote:I'm 168cm ride a F8 with 100mm stem, happy with the fit. Have also had a 65.1 think 2 size 51.5 w/90mm stem was ok but always "felt" a little big. Would buy size 50 if I need to repurchase.

BB

you are size 47 on the F8?

Actually, I'm debating on 65.1 (size 47) vs F8 (size 50), whats your opinion on them since you have ridden both.
There is a substantial price difference in them...over 1000US

I don't race, area is a mix of flats, hills (4-9%), paved surfaces.

PS Sorry to OP, I don't mean to hijack your thread :p.....it was too tempting to just ask the above when someone says they ridden both F8 and 65.1
Last edited by Boshk on Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

audiojan

by audiojan

I'm 173 cm and ride a 54cm with a 130mm stem. Height is simply not a good indicator of fit... You could very well fit on a 51.5, or you might need a 55 frame...
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Boshk wrote:
beanbiken wrote:I'm 168cm ride a F8 with 100mm stem, happy with the fit. Have also had a 65.1 think 2 size 51.5 w/90mm stem was ok but always "felt" a little big. Would buy size 50 if I need to repurchase.

BB

you are size 47 on the F8?

Actually, I'm debating on 65.1 (size 47) vs F8 (size 50), whats your opinion on them since you have ridden both.
There is a substantial price difference in them...over 1000US

I don't race, area is a mix of flats, hills (4-9%), paved surfaces.

Ooops failed to say that my F8's [have two currently] are both size 50. I hate the super slope of the 47's. Comparison, geez it's been a about 2 years since I rode the 65.1. The frame is currently on it's way to it's new owner in the US. I would say that the F8 is less forgiving with poor road surfaces. Feels faster but I would expect that is just the level of feedback you receive. Sorry can't be any more specific than that. I would suggest that if you like [or don't hate] the "wobbly" forks/stays but the 65.1. Both handle like they are on rails...
BB

Coffee & carbon

Sybarite

by Sybarite

To manage the reach, the Pinarello F series have the option of a straight or setback seatpost. Looking at your saddle height, a 51.5 would seem to fit better. But the bar height and spacer section you need to determine if you prefer a taller head tube or not.

mike001100

by mike001100

Thank you everyone for the replies! I have borrowed a Cannondale Super Six Evo, size 52 to test... and so far it feels great, better than my Propel!

So I think I will be going for the 51.5...

MRM

by MRM

Yes go with the 51.5

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mike001100 wrote:Thank you everyone for the replies! I have borrowed a Cannondale Super Six Evo, size 52 to test... and so far it feels great, better than my Propel!

IMO you shouldn't get a Dogma F8 and here's why. Your handlebar stack is equivalent to my 55cm Ritchey Swiss Cross with a 110mm -6deg stem and just a bearing cover. The difference is my handlebar reach is 57cm and yours is 50.2cm. You have very little saddle-to-bar drop and are already running 3.5cm of spacers plus a bearing cover on a 100mm stem. With a 53cm Dogma you'd have to run an additional 1cm spacer to approximate your Retul fit, making your spacer stack a ridiculous 4.5cm+bearing cover. The unsightly alternative is a longer +6 degree stem, but that looks so out of place on a Dogma.

You should honestly be looking at an endurance geometry bike.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
mike001100 wrote:Thank you everyone for the replies! I have borrowed a Cannondale Super Six Evo, size 52 to test... and so far it feels great, better than my Propel!

IMO you shouldn't get a Dogma F8 and here's why. Your handlebar stack is equivalent to my 55cm Ritchey Swiss Cross with a 110mm -6deg stem and just a bearing cover. The difference is my handlebar reach is 57cm and yours is 50.2cm. You have very little saddle-to-bar drop and are already running 3.5cm of spacers plus a bearing cover on a 100mm stem. With a 53cm Dogma you'd have to run an additional 1cm spacer to approximate your Retul fit, making your spacer stack a ridiculous 4.5cm+bearing cover. The unsightly alternative is a longer +6 degree stem, but that looks so out of place on a Dogma.

You should honestly be looking at an endurance geometry bike.

This is actually a very good advice...My friend had Bianchi Oltre XR2, and he realized that it doesn't fit him. So he sold it and switched to Bianchi Intenso frame.. Much much happier then with Oltre geometry

cdkoo

by cdkoo

I think 51.5 size is right

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com