Hanging a Road Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ohyeah22

by ohyeah22

Is it ok for a frame and/or wheel if the bike is hung from a hook by ONE wheel? If so, is it better to hang it from the front or rear wheel?

Obviously frames take a lot of force in compression and laterally, but are they designed to be in tension? Same with wheels.

Talking about a ~17 pound road bike. Wheels are lightweight, but aluminum.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I wouldn't mind hanging that bike from either wheel. You need to be careful with aero rims that have a fairing like Hed wheels.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Your wheels take your weight, don't they?

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

ohyeah22 wrote:Is it ok for a frame and/or wheel if the bike is hung from a hook by ONE wheel? If so, is it better to hang it from the front or rear wheel?

Obviously frames take a lot of force in compression and laterally, but are they designed to be in tension? Same with wheels.

Talking about a ~17 pound road bike. Wheels are lightweight, but aluminum.

the wheels can take your compression by the spokes resisting tension in the perpendicular direction.

thus it can handle being hung

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Also, front or back, it doesn't matter. Save some space by alternating each bike so you don't have the bars hitting each other

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Frankie - B wrote:I wouldn't mind hanging that bike from either wheel. You need to be careful with aero rims that have a fairing like Hed wheels.

Agreed, I've seen a few wheels with scrapes on the inside of the rims from where they've been hung, this is the only downside to hanging bikes.
I guess if you pad the hooks it could be avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Asteroid

by Asteroid

Long time bike hanger here. No issues for me, except one.
Seems the rubbery covering wore or peeled away on one of my hooks, exposing metal.
Over the course of several years, this metal occasionally scraped my rim, unbeknownst to me.
When performing bike maintenance, I'd see these little scratches in random spots.
Boy, I felt a sense of relief that scary little nighttime gremlins did not exist.
Oldbie

kytyree

by kytyree

I stored my bikes like that for years in my former home, no issues.

gotgame

by gotgame

i am using now a ceiling support with 2 cutom made pulleys. is fairly reliable. i fix one on the stem and one on the saddle. ( i must be carreful and put some kind of protection where i fix the rope because i have seen that leave rubbing marks in time)

now, i moved into a new place. i think that will give it a try to the fixed system that has a plate and a hook to fix the front wheel on the wall. with the alloy rims is all good but on high profile carbon wheels is a ''no no''. you're not allowed to put pressure on the interior rim profile because the carbon might crack
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

tarmackev wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:I wouldn't mind hanging that bike from either wheel. You need to be careful with aero rims that have a fairing like Hed wheels.

Agreed, I've seen a few wheels with scrapes on the inside of the rims from where they've been hung, this is the only downside to hanging bikes.
I guess if you pad the hooks it could be avoided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To your point about aero rims; as an owner of HED wheels, I can assure you that HED wheels cannot be hung by the wheel. The fairing is paper thin and will be damaged if you try to hang the bike from the wheel. If you saw them in person and felt them, you'd probably be worried about damaging the fairing just touching them. They really are that thin and are in now way structural. Honestly, I don't even hang the wheels by the fairing when they are off the bike. Furthermore, I would recommend against hanging any carbon wheels by the rim. Even low profile ones, if the hook were to scratch through the cosmetic layers to the structural carbon you could be asking for big trouble.

Alloy rims, shouldn't be a problem, but as others have stated, if you have metal hooks, even rubber coated ones, you run the risk of scratches.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Why not hold it by the saddle nose or center? Most saddles and seat posts work fine in tension and compression.
You wheels should be fine. Remember your spokes are in tension half of the time.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

I have been using hooks for years without problem but recently installed these Steadyracks https://www.steadyrack.com/. They cradle the bike by the tire rather than hanging the rim, and they swivel to position the bike more out of the way. They are especially nice for mountain bikes, which are heavier to lift, especially DH bikes.

Bogan

by Bogan

I work in a bike shop. Most of the overflow bikes we don't have room for on the shop floor are hung in a storage area on rubber covered hooks, mostly by the front wheel . No issues at all. But as someone stated earlier it would pay to be wary with wheels that have a carbon faring such as the HED wheels. For alloy wheels, not a problem.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

eric01

by eric01

I cut up a segment of old inner tube and slipped it over a hook. Extra protection against scratching.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Conza

by Conza

It's all about the adventure :o .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com