Canyon prices and models released in the US.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tinozee

by tinozee

Don't they sell frames in EU?

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

Bigger Gear wrote:
Vermu wrote:Cant do that in mainland either. Can be changed without extra fee, just need to sort it out with customer service

I guess I just find it disappointing that something as necessary as bar/stem/crank customization cannot be worked in to the user interface to configure before adding to cart? If Canyon really wants to make this a seamless online process this would be very helpful, or at least have some information about how to go about swapping components (ie. calling customer service). I looked around on the site and there is nothing in the FAQ or anywhere else that talks about how to customize components.

AFAIK, it can be changed but it is not free.
This is part of their business model that enables them to keep the prices as low as they are. That's why you won't find a customization option in the webshop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prebsy

by prebsy

This is the case with every other manf that does an integrated front end on their aero road bike (trek spec giant) not sure why we'd expect canyon to be different.

Lieblingsleguan

by Lieblingsleguan

There is no customization on standard stem-bar combos either. This is their business model, you get a very nice package at a low price, but there are no free changes on it. That way you can save on manufacturing costs and can better plan what parts you need and how many of them, so you can negotiate good conditions with your suppliers.

kode54

by kode54

cookie cutter methodology? maybe they make it up with charging a lot more to make the changes...and that's where they make their money?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sawyer

by sawyer

kode54 wrote:cookie cutter methodology? maybe they make it up with charging a lot more to make the changes...and that's where they make their money?

Canyon used to change stems for free, but obviously with an integrated bar and stem it's more of an issue

To be fair, with many manufacturers it's take it or leave it, with bricks and mortar sales you might get a more helpful approach, but there is value in the relationship there
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

AZR3

by AZR3

So what's the upcharge to change out the default bar stem combo? I'm sure no one knows how much it will be for US customers but what about any euro owners, what was the charge and was it a hassle to do and how much time did it add to delivery?

hannawald

by hannawald

AZR3 wrote:So what's the upcharge to change out the default bar stem combo? I'm sure no one knows how much it will be for US customers but what about any euro owners, what was the charge and was it a hassle to do and how much time did it add to delivery?

i don't know about us market, but in Europe, my friend asked local support for a change (couple of months ago) and they changed it for him. it cannot be done in the factory so they sent him the bike as it is and then sent him new desired stem-bar combo as well. He returned the original bars via courier. He didn't pay anything extra. If the bikes are shipped from Germany, this may be costly for us support..

rossjm11

by rossjm11

From their business perspective, I'm sure it makes sense to start with a less diverse lineup with only the trendiest bikes available in order to gain some market share. They'll increase it over time, but I don't really think it is realistic to expect a company to bring every bike with every color and build on day one. They've been low key marketing their bikes hard amongst racers and others in the US... only a matter of time
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

I thought the intention was to manufacture the bikes here in the US? (or at least assemble) If I had to guess they shipped a bunch of their excess stock from Germany over to the US, and they haven't figured out assembly in the US yet - so this will buy them time without having officially missed their deadline.

53x12

by 53x12

hannawald wrote:
AZR3 wrote:So what's the upcharge to change out the default bar stem combo? I'm sure no one knows how much it will be for US customers but what about any euro owners, what was the charge and was it a hassle to do and how much time did it add to delivery?

i don't know about us market, but in Europe, my friend asked local support for a change (couple of months ago) and they changed it for him. it cannot be done in the factory so they sent him the bike as it is and then sent him new desired stem-bar combo as well. He returned the original bars via courier. He didn't pay anything extra. If the bikes are shipped from Germany, this may be costly for us support..

USA is just a shipping container away from China. Canyon would be crazy to ship everything to the mothership in Germany and then back out to the USA. What is the point of them purchasing a service/distribution center in the USA if they aren't going to give it a real go here in the States and really put their best foot forward.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It makes zero sense for Canyon to perform assembly in the US. They won't ship enough bikes for the air freight prices to overcome the additional manpower cost. They are simply shipping complete bikes to a small California-based factory/office and then shipping them again from there.

benjaminm3

by benjaminm3

Ah, here's a link:
https://cyclingtips.com/2016/05/canyon- ... expansion/
To start, all bikes will continue to be assembled at the company’s German facility in Koblenz, and then shipped overseas with total lead times expected to be roughly four to six weeks from order date to delivery, depending on the specific model — and potentially faster.

The way that's phrased implies they might not always use their facility in Koblenz, but there isn't anything indicating that that won't be the case.

The US is a large market, if they ship with any real sort of volume here, I think it would make a lot of sense to open up a facility here.

RussellS

by RussellS

TobinHatesYou wrote:It makes zero sense for Canyon to perform assembly in the US. They won't ship enough bikes for the air freight prices to overcome the additional manpower cost. They are simply shipping complete bikes to a small California-based factory/office and then shipping them again from there.

Air freight? I would guess if Canyon has a desire to go bankrupt as quick as possible, they would use air freight. Otherwise, they will use container ships from China to the USA or Germany. And trucks within the USA. And trucks within Europe. No airplanes ever. Airplanes equal expensive.

As for whether Canyon will ship from China to California or Germany. It might not make much difference in distance. Beijing China (I know the bikes won't be made in Beijing, but its a common China city) to Los Angeles California is 10,000 kilometers. Beijing to Hamburg Germany is 7500 kilometers. Los Angeles to New York City is 4000 kilometers. Edit: 6000 kilometers from Hamburg to New York City. So if Canyon is selling bikes to the entire eastern seaboard of the USA, its slightly closer to bring the bikes from Beijing to Germany to USA. I figure Chicago is about the middle, distance wise. Same distance to Chicago from Beijing whether you go to LA first or Germany first. For more than half the USA population, its closer to Beijing through Germany than going across the Pacific Ocean.
Last edited by RussellS on Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Js2

by Js2

Happy to see the 4999$ with nice wheels and dura ace 9100 mechanical.

Not happy with the color of the frame available for that combo. Wanted a Jet Silver frame instead, bummer...
Mechanical Frameset is not available yet too... :roll: