Karoo Hammerhead

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dvq

by dvq

lovemyway wrote:
havana wrote:After the 4th (!!) delay I decided to cancel my order today.

The website says
As of early September of 2017, we have completely sold out of units through the end of the year, and all orders placed now will ship in early spring of 2018.

Did anything change?

An additional 20-24 day delay: https://blog.hammerhead.io/recent-devel ... b92849981e

Before they were saying that everyone who placed an order before second week of September would receive theirs by late December. Some of the earlier pre-orders would be getting theirs early November. When you tack on another month or so for their plastics delay that pushes out early pre-orders to early December and late preorders to late January. The problem with that timing is that most factories in China shut down from early-mid January until mid-February. Likely, unless you were one of the very first, you won't be seeing your Karoo until late February-March and likely April or further if you reserved after second week of September.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

I've been on both sides of pre-orders. It's difficult. Honestly, my hope was December, but honestly didn't expect it. More like a Christmas surprise. I think I was one of the people in the first week or two who ordered with a September ship date.

Pre-ordering with a startup (of crowdfunding) is like gambling. I don't expect a ship date. This is the startup world. I tend to suggest to people if they need something today, buy something that's on the market today - not even something that's been newly released.

In Karoo's favour they've launched and delivered a product before (Hammerhead H1, I have it... late, but they did it and in the wake of so many failed kickstarter-type things, that means they can deliver things, that's better than 80% of things I've seen) and they've been pretty transparent with their work. For instance they decided on an new type of antenna structure, means delay in building, then testing, then they'll still have to certify with bodies like FCC. That alone had me at +4 months without having to say it. If the plots are inductive of consistent performance it really starts putting to shame some of the bigger names.

I'm sticking it out because I believe this could really change the landscape, but I don't need something today, and also because I don't miss money I don't remember.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

lovemyway wrote:
havana wrote:After the 4th (!!) delay I decided to cancel my order today.

The website says
As of early September of 2017, we have completely sold out of units through the end of the year, and all orders placed now will ship in early spring of 2018.

Did anything change?

So, for new orders, probably not, but for those of us that pre-ordered back in late spring/early summer, yea, they've run into yet another delay. I don't remember what the first couple were, but there was a delay due to re-design of I believe the anteana array back in I believe August, and then another one last week due to a supply issue with one of their material vendors. As I recall, they had originally hoped to have it to us by late August, then late October, and I think now we'll be lucky to get it by Christmas.

Personally, I'm one of those that's still using the 810 becasue the 820 seems too small. The functionality seems to be more along the lines of the 1030, but I'm really not ready to drop $500+ on a computer. I got on board at $300 and am going to stick arround and wait. I don't see many other options and I think there's a lot of future potential with having an Android based system.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kode54

by kode54

yeah...the 820 is too small for me as well. the 810 was the perfect size and the 1000 and 1030 are huge in comparison.

i'm just hoping that my 810 will hold out longer. had a few hiccups where the screen would go dead during a ride. did a few hard reboots and its still hanging on.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

kode54

by kode54

i think that means that they have sold out of pre-orders. the initial production run. the next production run will probably go into 2018.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

fasdflkjweorinjs

by fasdflkjweorinjs

Anyone receive their Hammerhead yet?

OHYONGUN

by OHYONGUN

I think someone's been given the package. There is a person who received goods in Korea. Everything looks better than gamin.

Aya

by Aya

Hmm ... Powerful navigation function is always welcome, but unfortunately, I do not think that device will fully support South Korea's map here. I'm just going to wait and see how it works.

jlok

by jlok

Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

Post #271 :(

carbontulip

by carbontulip

anyone got their device? I know there is one tester on Medium that already has his but the info comes through tiny pieces... So frustrating...

I am particularly interested in Strava Live Segments feature

mentok

by mentok

Still waiting. I'm an early August order.

Don't really care when it turns up at this point, the software sounds like it's not really ready for prime-time (at least that was the impression I got when I was reading up on it a few weeks ago) so when it arrives I doubt I'll be using it much until it's polished.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

mentok wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:32 am
Still waiting. I'm an early August order.

Don't really care when it turns up at this point, the software sounds like it's not really ready for prime-time (at least that was the impression I got when I was reading up on it a few weeks ago) so when it arrives I doubt I'll be using it much until it's polished.
Sometime in April or May here, and yea... I have a feeling my Garmin 810 will still be in my back pocket or on my stem when it finally shows up.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

kode54

by kode54

my 810 is on its last legs. sudden system hang ups and reboots. screen freezes as well. hard system reboots lasts only a month or two. not sure when my Karoo will get here...but like you said...may need to keep a spare in my back pocket... whether it be the 810 that's on its way out.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

kode54 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:33 pm
my 810 is on its last legs. sudden system hang ups and reboots. screen freezes as well. hard system reboots lasts only a month or two. not sure when my Karoo will get here...but like you said...may need to keep a spare in my back pocket... whether it be the 810 that's on its way out.
Same here, when my 510 battery gave out I took to recording on my vivosmart watch as a backup for when my 810 crashes. It’s down to only lasting about 6 hours when recording, so I’m going to need a backup for my backup. Considered getting a edge 25 for that.