One Bike to Rule/Replace Them All...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

2old4this

by 2old4this

thedonnydino wrote:Sounds like you are after a titanium bike.

The Moots Disc RSL looks really good, even has the right kind of geometry for what you are after.

Great thing about a titanium rig, is that you can replace the groupset and cockpit for when you tire of the look and feel, and have a practically new bike :)

+1

+2, you can have one custom sized, just for you.

+3, it is fairly easy to get it to 13-14 lb, without going too exotic.

+4, it'll almost always look new

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Ya probably, that's why I'm saying "stock".
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TonyM

by TonyM

markgoldstein wrote:I've been an enthusiastic follower of the N+1 rule for the last few years, but I'm now thinking of reducing my fleet, and maybe even trying to run just one bike all year round.

My all-time favourite bike is the Cannondale Supersix Evo HM - I've currently got a 2015 model with SRAM Red 22.

Here's my list of requirements for the ideal single bike option:

- on-road only (no gravel requirements)
- suitable for everything from fast 3 hour club-runs to more sedate 300km audaxes
- 25mm tyres in summer, 28mm tyres with full mudguards in winter (Raceblades don't really cut it for group riding)
- "relatively" lightweight (hopefully sub-7kg)
- aggressive endurance geometry, rather than full-on race (my Supersix is a 54cm frame with the 25mm headset cap fitted)
- ideally SRAM Etap groupset, if buying a stock bike
- disc brakes

Possible candidates so far are the new Cannondale Synapse, which in terms of fit has a very similar stack/reach to my Supersix if it's possible to use a 10mm headset cap.

And...ermmm...any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Maybe the coming "Tarmac S-works disc 2018" in its Etap version

alcatraz

by alcatraz

How about a trek domane disc brake? It's got that comfy isospeed decoupler.

I am also interested in a "One bike to rule them all" but as I'm in my mid 30s I don't mind a racier position even though I don't race. On top of the OP requirements I'm also looking for aero gains. A workswell r081 is my top choice so far. This and 404:ish wheels like U-shaped 58mm would do nicely and should come in under 7kg.

My only annoyance is that the frame is not particularly light 1100+400gr. But it's to be expected with aero+disc brake. Bit disappointing though. Maybe a Giant propel disc brake is lighter. Also how do you get around the issue with heavy discs/brake calipers/hydraulic hoses/brake levers? It's really messing with my WW ambitions. I'm thinking maybe a wired setup is good enough.

/a

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Synapse eTap Disc almost tick all the boxes but the sub-7kg requirement... I wonder which bike with endurance/relaxed geometry have less than 7kg stock config.

That's the bike that caught my eye and started me thinking...I can't find any published weights just yet though - maybe sub 7.5kg?

jlok

by jlok

markgoldstein wrote:
Synapse eTap Disc almost tick all the boxes but the sub-7kg requirement... I wonder which bike with endurance/relaxed geometry have less than 7kg stock config.

That's the bike that caught my eye and started me thinking...I can't find any published weights just yet though - maybe sub 7.5kg?

I guess it's close to 7.5kg.

mine TCR Adv SL Disc size s with Roval CLX 32/50 eTap wifli Quarq 9100 pedals normal cages x2 is 7.25kg.

(I assume the frame + seat post + fork are 200g heavier than mine... other components more or less the same.)
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

willmac

by willmac

https://www.facebook.com/stage21cycling ... 5115235779

Exotic build but weight is down to 6.43kg's. Shouldn't be too hard to get the etap version close to 7

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

Have you considered using the Crud MK3 fenders instead of sks? I have them on my rain/winter bike and they work quite well. Opens up a lot of other options for you.
Speedplay is the devil!

Patto

by Patto

markgoldstein wrote:What was the one bike that you had?

Trek domane. Ticks all your boxes.

It cant take guards but an aeroad would be my queen. Aggressive but compliant

joejack951

by joejack951

alcatraz wrote:How about a trek domane disc brake? It's got that comfy isospeed decoupler.

I am also interested in a "One bike to rule them all" but as I'm in my mid 30s I don't mind a racier position even though I don't race. On top of the OP requirements I'm also looking for aero gains. A workswell r081 is my top choice so far. This and 404:ish wheels like U-shaped 58mm would do nicely and should come in under 7kg.

My only annoyance is that the frame is not particularly light 1100+400gr. But it's to be expected with aero+disc brake. Bit disappointing though. Maybe a Giant propel disc brake is lighter. Also how do you get around the issue with heavy discs/brake calipers/hydraulic hoses/brake levers? It's really messing with my WW ambitions. I'm thinking maybe a wired setup is good enough.

/a

With your build plan I wonder a bit at how you expect sub 7kg. My build using a Hong Fu FM079-F (a lighter frame/fork), Campy Chorus, and 40mm deep tubular rims came in at 7.56 kg. I didn't go crazy weight weenie on the finishing kit but I didn't pick anything heavy either (Fizik Arione R1, Ritchey Superlogic post, WCS stem, and 40cm WCS Carbon Streem bars). You'll need to use some very light hubs and rotors, skinny tires (not 25mm like mine) and spend some money on a saddle, seatpost, stems, and handlebars to cut significant weight. Your rims will likely weigh more than mine which were ~400 grams each.

The lightweight disc option is mechanical levers and TRP Spyre SLC calipers, but only if you use Shimano levers (not compatible with the pull of Campy or SRAM levers). I had bought a 2016 Chorus group before I learned this so I went with modified TRP HY/RD calipers but they are anything but lightweight, but stop very well.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

willmac wrote:https://www.facebook.com/stage21cycling/posts/1115615115235779

Exotic build but weight is down to 6.43kg's. Shouldn't be too hard to get the etap version close to 7

Swap the Di2 for eTap, and that's pretty much what I'm looking for!
Only 0.5kg more than my current Supersix Evo, with more compliance, better fit, disc brakes and mudguards...

sawyer

by sawyer

Whatever you get, plan on reverting to N+1 before long as the fact it's a compromise will gnaw away at you ... you've given up performance and it won't stop bugging you :wink:
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

willmac

by willmac

markgoldstein wrote:
willmac wrote:https://www.facebook.com/stage21cycling/posts/1115615115235779

Swap the Di2 for eTap, and that's pretty much what I'm looking for!
Only 0.5kg more than my current Supersix Evo, with more compliance, better fit, disc brakes and mudguards...

I've got the older synapse and to be honest, it is lacking vs my supersix in terms of sharpness when riding but if the reviews are to be believed, the new one is much better in that respect.

fivethirtyonepm

by fivethirtyonepm

I've just gone through this and ended up with a Kinesis Racelight Gran Fondo Ti V3 Disc build.

See - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=146954

Ticks all the boxes for me. Not too racy, but not too relaxed. Relatively light, but very very quick. Comfort from the titanium frame and 28mm tyres, but plenty of stiffness from the frame shape, the carbon forks, carbon wheels and carbon finishing kit. Also, not to stupidly expensive (retail on all of the above is approx GBP4.5k although this bike stands me at way less than half that).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

joejack951 wrote:.

I'm on an fm066sl now with 58mm clinchers, few grams under 6kg.

The workswell is 270gr heavier frame+fork wise. Seatpost + seat combo would be 90gr heavier.

That leaves 640gr left for the disc brakes (rotors, hubs, calipers) and still not crossing 7kg. So should be possible however the frame is still heavier than I'd like.

If I go hydraulic disc brakes I might quite easily cross 7kg. I'm considering not to do it.

/a