One Bike to Rule/Replace Them All...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

markgoldstein wrote:I've been an enthusiastic follower of the N+1 rule for the last few years, but I'm now thinking of reducing my fleet, and maybe even trying to run just one bike all year round.

My all-time favourite bike is the Cannondale Supersix Evo HM - I've currently got a 2015 model with SRAM Red 22.

Here's my list of requirements for the ideal single bike option:

- on-road only (no gravel requirements)
- suitable for everything from fast 3 hour club-runs to more sedate 300km audaxes
- 25mm tyres in summer, 28mm tyres with full mudguards in winter (Raceblades don't really cut it for group riding)
- "relatively" lightweight (hopefully sub-7kg)
- aggressive endurance geometry, rather than full-on race (my Supersix is a 54cm frame with the 25mm headset cap fitted)
- ideally SRAM Etap groupset, if buying a stock bike
- disc brakes

Possible candidates so far are the new Cannondale Synapse, which in terms of fit has a very similar stack/reach to my Supersix if it's possible to use a 10mm headset cap.

And...ermmm...any other suggestions?

Thanks!

You could consider a Canyon Ultimate / Endurace CF Slx Disc. Plenty of clearance for fenders, even with 28mm conti 4000s. No eyelets present on the frame though. Mine is sub 7kg without any crazy part, and still with the older, heavy 785 shifters.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

I'd prefer a frame with "proper" mudguards, as I do a lot of group rides throughout the wet and muddy UK winter. I've tried Raceblades and Crudguards before, and they're ok if you're not riding with anyone else, but not great for those behind.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Patto

by Patto

markgoldstein wrote:What was the one bike that you had?

Trek Domane.

It ticks all your boxes. The only area where it falls short for me is the forks and slight lack of front end sharpness in crits. That trait is part of what makes it a nice bike to ride 1+hr, so dont think I am writing it off.

Most of the new bikes that fall into the one-bike category dont appear to be all that compliant in the front. It could be an issue with an aggressive fit and long time in the saddle.
Last edited by Patto on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Multebear

by Multebear

One bike to rule them all. The holy grail of bikes. I've been looking for it as well for quite some years now. Haven't found it yet though ;-)

First of all, if you want to be able to have both 28 mm and fenders, you're not gonna find it among the pure performance race bikes with aggressive geometry. That means that it wont be a light frame either. Probably not even a carbon bike, if you're looking for fender eyelets on the frame. Ticking all your boxes wont be possible IMO.

But take a look at the Kinesis Racelight 4S disc. It ticks all your boxes except light weight. It takes 28 mm tires and fenders, has fender eyelets both front and rear. Both rim brake and disc brake is possible. Aggressive geometry. On road only. And doesn't break the bank.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

You could consider a Canyon Ultimate / Endurace CF Slx Disc. Plenty of clearance for fenders, even with 28mm conti 4000s. No eyelets present on the frame though. Mine is sub 7kg without any crazy part, and still with the older, heavy 785 shifters.

What mudguards are you using with your Endurance, if any?

Delorre

by Delorre

markgoldstein wrote:

What mudguards are you using with your Endurance, if any?

I have CRUD MK3's, but only used twice last winter.

patchsurfer

by patchsurfer

Left field...and not out yet...Bowman Pilgrim X?

https://bowman-cycles.com/product/pilgrims-project-x/

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Using Tapatalk

stormur

by stormur

I went this road .... 5y ago. Then came back to road-cx idea and now again 1bikeonly.

Perfect solution ? Rather not. But compromises are very few, and I can easy live with them.

My choice was BMC CX01/ Sram Red / handbuilt DT Swiss wheels / Quarq dZero / Fizik saddle / Easton cockpit. For road have Look Keo Blade Ti pedals, for commuting & other kind of roads Look Quartz Ti.

Road setup weights 7.5kg, anyroad 200-250g more. Frame size "57" so 56cm TT. NOT XS as many "light" bikes here ;)

Never been more happy.

Can I go down with weight ? Sure :) Tubulars, saddle, cockpit and PM can save 500-700g easy, so can be at 6.8 / 7kg road/cx respectively.

Current setup can survive everything #reasonable , and many not so much as well. Under 182/85kg rider.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Having just discovered these...

http://rawmudflap.uk/about-mudflaps/

I'm now more open to the idea of crossing off "full mudguards in winter" from my requirements list.

RyanH

by RyanH

Custom Ti would be my vote. I was going to have Eriksen do a disc build with clearance for 32mm tires. My Litespeed is still my favorite bike that I have owned.

I did give up on that idea though because I wanted to use mine for light off road duty too but quickly learned that I'd need a new pedal since speedplays are rubbish in dirt. I also found that I didn't like the ride of 32mm tires on the road. They need to be pumped up quite a bit to not feel squishy in corners and out of the saddle. At that point, they tend to be less comfortable than a good 25mm tubular.

romalor

by romalor

baum orbis :mrgreen:

Multebear

by Multebear

markgoldstein wrote:Having just discovered these...

I'm now more open to the idea of crossing off "full mudguards in winter" from my requirements list.

I have a pair of those. Decent flaps and not expensive. But as others have mentioned, I'd recommend buddy flaps. They will not wear or break in at least the next couple of winters.

markgoldstein

by markgoldstein

Multebear wrote:
markgoldstein wrote:Having just discovered these...

I have a pair of those. Decent flaps and not expensive. But as others have mentioned, I'd recommend buddy flaps. They will not wear or break in at least the next couple of winters.

How are those different to the Raw one? (which have the advantage for me of being made in the UK, rather than the US)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com