When does the bottom fall out to sell rim brake bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

With discs coming in a big way, I dont see any major manufacturers selling rim brake bikes in 3 years.
Once the Pros are all on disc bikes (I presume starting 2019) any high end rim bike will be very hard to sell.
I purchased a Tarmac with Dura Ace end of last year and this year purchased Roval CLX 50 for the bike.
Now with discs comming and once the UCI removes the 6.8 KG weight limit, I am thinking my $9k CDN bike will be worth very little once discs are main stream high end bikes.

So when do you sell your Rim brake bike in order to avoid taking a huge hit in order to buy the same bike in disc form?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

I might be wrong but I don't think there will be "no market" for bikes with rim brakes any time soon. I personally have no interest in disk brakes and given the choice would chose rim breaks over disks today and for the foreseeable future.
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

silvalis

by silvalis

It's not going to change. You will take a huge hit in second hand bike value regardless of what brake you have on it.
Chasse patate

Thenuge

by Thenuge

The pros aren't going to ride discs unless the manufacturers make them. Mechanics say most would be using mechanical groupsets if they could due to weight.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

someday there will be an Eroica for no electronic, rim brake only, no battery bikes...blah blah blah
and I will pay more then MSRP for that part from Ebay while building my own version to ride.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Berryrice

by Berryrice

Roadies have the slowest acceptance to overall bike tech. I'd say about 3-4 years all road bikes plus 2k from the biggest companies will have disc brakes and on 5-8 all the rest. Especially if they can figure out a cheaper cable driven road disc. The "ahead set" style stem was on mountain bikes for easily 6 years before they appeared on road bikes. Funny thing was Trek released the 5500 and 5200 with ahead sets around 1997-8 and the roadies lost their minds and they promptly switched back for 1-2 years just to see them back. Once Ahead Set style headsets took on with the pros and general roadies....the weight reduction, strength, and durability rapidly followed... especially all carbon forks.

Ps...Road carbon clinchers with disc will finally be safe for heavy braking and you might actually see pros use them (may forced by the sponsors though).

AJS914

by AJS914

toronto-rider wrote:So when do you sell your Rim brake bike in order to avoid taking a huge hit in order to buy the same bike in disc form?

That already happens. Try and sell your 5 year old wonder-bike, disc or not, and it's not going to be worth much.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

AJS914 wrote:That already happens. Try and sell your 5 year old wonder-bike, disc or not, and it's not going to be worth much.

SO true.

Be it old groupos or passe frame designs...

ar500

by ar500

A bike isn't an investment -- you bought it to use it. If you bought it primarily for resale value you screwed yourself from the beginning. Just ride it.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

ar500 wrote:A bike isn't an investment -- you bought it to use it. If you bought it primarily for resale value you screwed yourself from the beginning. Just ride it.

Haha, can't argue with that now can you?

I like the simplicity...

/a

corky

by corky

Surely everyone has sold their mechanical bikes by now and are on Di2 EPS etc?.......no?

Don't be a lemming........

sawyer

by sawyer

Berryrice wrote:Roadies have the slowest acceptance to overall bike tech. I'd say about 3-4 years all road bikes plus 2k from the biggest companies will have disc brakes and on 5-8 all the rest. Especially if they can figure out a cheaper cable driven road disc. The "ahead set" style stem was on mountain bikes for easily 6 years before they appeared on road bikes. Funny thing was Trek released the 5500 and 5200 with ahead sets around 1997-8 and the roadies lost their minds and they promptly switched back for 1-2 years just to see them back. Once Ahead Set style headsets took on with the pros and general roadies....the weight reduction, strength, and durability rapidly followed... especially all carbon forks.

Ps...Road carbon clinchers with disc will finally be safe for heavy braking and you might actually see pros use them (may forced by the sponsors though).

Looking back and assuming you've discerned a pattern that will carry forward is a habit many people have, but it often turns out to be wrong

The issue with discs on road bikes is the weight and aero penalty

I can completely see the braking benefits, but for the road use I have these are outweighed, vastly, by weight and aero penalty. And there is then inevitably compatibility issues, which supports the status quo

Right now the industry wants to move customers to road bikes to sell a shedload more bikes, but faces the blunt truth that they are lower performance for many people uses

On the slow acceptance point ... the assumption it's always slow with road should also be challenged, ignoring Mavic Zap which is an outlier, electronic has been taken up pretty quickly, as have carbon clinchers, as have aero bikes and helmets etc etc
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

RussellS

by RussellS

I think you are making things up. For some reason you seem to be equating disc brakes with STI/Ergo shifters/brakes. After STI/Ergo emerged, they almost instantly replaced downtube shifters. Its not that way with brakes. You don't have the same working relationship with brakes as with STI/Ergo. You are not grabbing the rim or grabbing the disc with your fingers. You are still just pulling the brake lever with both of them. The braking result is a bit different. But the input from you is the same. But with STI/Ergo, your input is different from downtube shifters. The output, the gear shifting, is the same more or less. But the input is very different.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

To me it seems that rim brakes have basically topped out on strength and modulation. Yes sure you can modify the modulation to work better with the newer levers 11spd possibly 12spd but when you go too light with materials you give up the strength and modulation you set out for.... I feel disc technology is just starting and can only get lighter and better along with better wheels just like mountain bikes progressed from caliper to V to disc....

MoPho

by MoPho

silvalis wrote:It's not going to change. You will take a huge hit in second hand bike value regardless of what brake you have on it.

Yup! I had been waiting for disc brakes to come out for years and decided to do pull the trigger partially thinking I can still get some money for my rim brake bike because it wasn't that old. Ended up selling a 2.5 yo $8300 bike for $2300 and it took me months to sell it :(

sawyer wrote:
The issue with discs on road bikes is the weight and aero penalty

I can completely see the braking benefits, but for the road use I have these are outweighed, vastly, by weight and aero penalty.

...but faces the blunt truth that they are lower performance for many people uses

Seems a lot of people here need every marginal gain they can get because their paycheck comes from winning races!
...or perhaps they really need to get to the coffee shop first?

I think the blunt truth is that these "penalties" really only matter on the internet for most riders . :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com