When does the bottom fall out to sell rim brake bikes?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berryrice

by Berryrice

ar500 wrote:A bike isn't an investment -- you bought it to use it. If you bought it primarily for resale value you screwed yourself from the beginning. Just ride it.

So true! That's why I've never sold any of my bikes. I just usually give them to family, friends, and youths in need. The painful thought of selling a bike for 200 bucks that I paid $1700 in 1992 is too much to handle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berryrice

by Berryrice

Seems a lot of people here need every marginal gain they can get because their paycheck comes from winning races!
...or perhaps they really need to get to the coffee shop first?

I think the blunt truth is that these "penalties" really only matter on the internet for most riders . :lol:

.[/quote]

You are spot on. My most winningest bike was a steel Colnago SL bike with a mix of dura ace/ultegra/ and Sante (anyone remember that sexy Shimano group???) Since then...my bikes got better but I got fatter. So I look for those parts and bikes with the least penalty to compensate for fat and age.

srshaw

by srshaw

I agree with the never sell a bike. My garage has loads of useless old bikes/motorbikes. I might ride them one day, but probably not.

silvalis

by silvalis

MoPho wrote:
silvalis wrote:It's not going to change. You will take a huge hit in second hand bike value regardless of what brake you have on it.

Yup! I had been waiting for disc brakes to come out for years and decided to do pull the trigger partially thinking I can still get some money for my rim brake bike because it wasn't that old. Ended up selling a 2.5 yo $8300 bike for $2300 and it took me months to sell it :(

I think you just have to be lucky (AND M or L, AND steerer not too cut, AND something in demand or with cachet)

And stock off-the-website builds seem to be easier to sell than custom builds?
Chasse patate

Rubik

by Rubik

kgibbo1868 wrote:I might be wrong but I don't think there will be "no market" for bikes with rim brakes any time soon. I personally have no interest in disk brakes and given the choice would chose rim breaks over disks today and for the foreseeable future.

Same. Disc brakes offer me absolutely nothing, and I very heavily depend on brakes in big regional and national-level crits.

I won't be on discs any time soon, and don't anticipate ever having a problem procuring what I need for my current bike setup.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm trying to sell unused equipment sooner rather than later these days. Because the frame that is worth $800 today is only going to be worth $500 after a few years of hanging in your garage.

On the other hand, if you hold on to your unused stuff long enough, it will become collectible and desirable. I liquidated all my 9 and 10 speed Campagnolo stuff last year and I couldn't believe the great prices I was getting.

keith

by keith

I've just ridden Geneva/Nice on my Parlee Z5SLi - I've had it a long time now, still very light. I've updated the group set 3 times, now running DA 9100 mechanical. Mavic Ksyrium Exalith rims, braking was fantastic all day, all the time, for all 8 days. Can't really see any need for disks myself. I will ride this frame for ever as far as I can see. Just keep it up-to-date with new bits. Current weight is around 6.5kg. My poshbike is similar, but runs on LW wheels and Di2, that comes in under 6kg. So what I'm saying is, why would I ever want to sell these frames / bikes? Only if they break would I have to get a replacement.

Still, I'm not against disks completely. I have a Trek Emonda disk on order, pretty amazing, DA everything and weighs apparently around 6.5kg. Should be great, but I'll use it mainly for winter to help with not wearing out the rims with road salt, etc.
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AJS914

by AJS914

I feel the same about my C59. I'll ride it forever or until it breaks. I'm thinking that maybe it would be worth a custom paint job. But, I've ridden enough bikes now to know I've got a great one.

Some guys though seem to need a new frame every two years....

Neddysmith

by Neddysmith

I dont think you will be the one choosing to go rim or disk brake itll be the manufacturers, your choice will be whether to ride an alder rim brake bike or ride a new disk brake bike.

Just look at XC bikes and try to find a 26" XC bike, your only choice is pretty much to go 29"

sawyer

by sawyer

MoPho wrote:
silvalis wrote:It's not going to change. You will take a huge hit in second hand bike value regardless of what brake you have on it.

Yup! I had been waiting for disc brakes to come out for years and decided to do pull the trigger partially thinking I can still get some money for my rim brake bike because it wasn't that old. Ended up selling a 2.5 yo $8300 bike for $2300 and it took me months to sell it :(

sawyer wrote:
The issue with discs on road bikes is the weight and aero penalty

I can completely see the braking benefits, but for the road use I have these are outweighed, vastly, by weight and aero penalty.

...but faces the blunt truth that they are lower performance for many people uses

Seems a lot of people here need every marginal gain they can get because their paycheck comes from winning races!
...or perhaps they really need to get to the coffee shop first?

I think the blunt truth is that these "penalties" really only matter on the internet for most riders . :lol:

Well, this is a site for people who are fanatical about bikes and obsess about equipment, so shouldn't surprise you, should it?

Perhaps they aren't pros but are Cat 1 or 2 amateurs ... or maybe just like having the fastest stuff within reason and know how to brake?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

MikeD

by MikeD

toronto-rider wrote:With discs coming in a big way, I dont see any major manufacturers selling rim brake bikes in 3 years.
Once the Pros are all on disc bikes (I presume starting 2019) any high end rim bike will be very hard to sell.
I purchased a Tarmac with Dura Ace end of last year and this year purchased Roval CLX 50 for the bike.
Now with discs comming and once the UCI removes the 6.8 KG weight limit, I am thinking my $9k CDN bike will be worth very little once discs are main stream high end bikes.

So when do you sell your Rim brake bike in order to avoid taking a huge hit in order to buy the same bike in disc form?

Well, here we are four years later and disc brakes have not taken over the road bike market.

MoPho

by MoPho

sawyer wrote:Well, this is a site for people who are fanatical about bikes and obsess about equipment, so shouldn't surprise you, should it?

Perhaps they aren't pros but are Cat 1 or 2 amateurs ... or maybe just like having the fastest stuff within reason and know how to brake?

That's fine, buying nice stuff is fun, but only a very small percentage of cyclists race and nobody "wins or loses" a group ride because of a small weight or aero difference. It's even a reach to say any of this stuff actually makes a difference in racing.
And knowing how to brake does not mean one could not benefit from better brakes.

boots2000

by boots2000

The bottom fell out of selling used cycling equipment at least 2 years ago.

You take a hit with anything used. More of a hit if it is not state of the art or the most currently popular trend.
Sell a bike in 2017 and everyone wants to know how big of a tire will fit. You rarely got asked that question a few years ago

I blame the internet and how quickly information spreads- Part of this is the grey market availability of gear from Europe.
A few years ago these prices did not exist. Then a few found out- and then they let the entire world know about it.
The other part is that everyone knows what the cool new stuff will look like before it ever hits the market.
You can sit at you computer and learn as much as anyone who attends a bicycle trade show.

toronto-rider wrote:With discs coming in a big way, I dont see any major manufacturers selling rim brake bikes in 3 years.
Once the Pros are all on disc bikes (I presume starting 2019) any high end rim bike will be very hard to sell.
I purchased a Tarmac with Dura Ace end of last year and this year purchased Roval CLX 50 for the bike.
Now with discs comming and once the UCI removes the 6.8 KG weight limit, I am thinking my $9k CDN bike will be worth very little once discs are main stream high end bikes.

So when do you sell your Rim brake bike in order to avoid taking a huge hit in order to buy the same bike in disc form?

ntb1001

by ntb1001

I think rim brake bikes will still be around for a while.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

I'll let you know, as soon as I can't easily find 5 speed freewheels, 8 speed cassettes, and downtube shifters, brand new, in a couple of clicks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com