SRAM Force 22 vs Red 22 shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

loudtiger

by loudtiger

Hi,

Is there any functional difference between current generation Force 22 and Red 22 shifters? I know the red shifter is 7g lighter, but if that is the only difference I would rather save my money and just go with Force. However, if there are real tactile differences, then I would probably spend the extra dough.

kookie

by kookie

From this video, no significant difference in performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFUcSrmIcKk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AZR3

by AZR3

It looks like it's just weight (280 for Red vs 307 for Force) as both brake and shift levers are carbon on Red

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

Force also uses a heavier shifter body. Exact same internals.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

My force 10s levers disappointingly are 327gr. Don't understand where those extra grams come from.

/a

jeanjacques

by jeanjacques

There was a difference with 10s, Force was the same of Rival and Red totally different. Not the same with 11s, everything seem identical, just weight saving with carbon or alloy for brake/shifter lever.
Red have also some titanium piece (screw ?).
My force 22 right shifter weight 159g, 114g for the left Force 1 without shifter mechanism (I remove the steel axle inside, 3g, don't seem useful).

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

loudtiger wrote:Hi,

Is there any functional difference between current generation Force 22 and Red 22 shifters? I know the red shifter is 7g lighter, but if that is the only difference I would rather save my money and just go with Force. However, if there are real tactile differences, then I would probably spend the extra dough.

Force shift levers are aluminum. Red are carbon hence the lower weight. I found out bc my force levers are rusting and wanted to change them and apparently they fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

This o only applies to force/red22

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

charlieboy52000 wrote:Force shift levers are aluminum. Red are carbon hence the lower weight. I found out bc my force levers are rusting and wanted to change them and apparently they fit.

Wait, what? Your aluminum Force shift levers are decomposing into iron oxide?

That may sound a bit flippant, but I'm sincerely unsure what you mean. Are your aluminum levers oxidizing somehow? Unless you're riding through saltwater puddles, this seems unlikely.

Marin

by Marin

Scratched & sweaty hands should be enough

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

My scratched Dura-Ace 7800 levers were made from aluminum, and they never corroded under my sweaty hands. When you scratch aluminum, it forms a protective oxide layer almost instantaneously, inhibiting further corrosion. Besides, it's the shift paddles that are aluminum on Force, right? Those are hard(ish) to scratch simply because they're protected by the brake levers.

I'm interested to hear what Charlieboy actually experienced and why he's calling it "rust."

Darmen

by Darmen

Hi,

i want to buy used sram red shifter on an online marketplace, the seller says that the logo is professionally painted black

how to tell difference between sram force / red /rival shifter if the logo painted black?

here is the picture
red1.jpg
red2.jpg
red3.jpg

alcatraz

by alcatraz

On force (10s) the shift lever is magnesium and red is carbon.

On force the bare look of the lever body is a bit different from red (pull hood up a bit to expose it)

On force the clamp looks a bit different than on red.

Although the shifters in the pictures can't be identified accurately enough for me to buy I would guess they are red together with the rear derailleur. The front derailleur is force I think.

/a

Darmen

by Darmen

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:32 am
On force (10s) the shift lever is magnesium and red is carbon.

On force the bare look of the lever body is a bit different from red (pull hood up a bit to expose it)

On force the clamp looks a bit different than on red.

Although the shifters in the pictures can't be identified accurately enough for me to buy I would guess they are red together with the rear derailleur. The front derailleur is force I think.

/a
Finally I decided to buy a new one,

but unfortunately, the weight does not right. 300g pair on my scale exclude the cable

:noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I've seen red shifters at 285gr at the lowest. Mostly they are around 290gr. Sometimes even 295gr.

Somewhere I felt cheated was with the force 10s shifters. They are advertised at 307 or 309gr and mine were 327gr. Even the rival shifters are advertised lower than 327gr.

Anyway. I moved to red and they came in at 287gr or something. My friends were 285gr. Lucky bastard. :lol: