PSA - B.O.R. German Sealant (UPDATE) - DO NOT BUY

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

possibleweenie wrote:On that note, most of the samples of successful sealing I have seen come with Orange Seal. I managed to find a UK supplier that ships to Germany so I am waiting for that.

Could you provide a link to this supplier? (I assume that they'll ship to the Netherlands as well)

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

i heard that Schwalbe Doc Blu is just rebadged Stans. they seal Pro One perfectly well. Air loss is damn near minimal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

+1 on Orange Seal and Dyna Plug.

Orange Seal worked well on both Schwalbe Pro One and Sector 28 for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

DutchMountains wrote:
possibleweenie wrote:On that note, most of the samples of successful sealing I have seen come with Orange Seal. I managed to find a UK supplier that ships to Germany so I am waiting for that.

Could you provide a link to this supplier? (I assume that they'll ship to the Netherlands as well)

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/montaguesports/

There is another store on ebay that also sells it, but they seem to sometimes have stock issues and your item may arrive a bit late.

Amazon.co.uk seems to have no sellers willing to sell outside of the UK, so ebay is your best bet.

possibleweenie

by possibleweenie

TobinHatesYou wrote:
djwalker wrote:The tire chosen matters a lot for road tubeless. I have found that, using Stan's sealant, my Schwalbe Pro One tires would practically never seal. Even for tiny punctures. However, Hutchinson Fusion 5 tires seal just fine with the same puncture. Also the Hutchinson are easier to patch in the event of a huge puncture. I think that the difference is that the Schwalbe has a very thin casing and you can see the threads in the material on the inside on the tire. The Hutchinson has a rubber coating on the inside. This makes patches stick better and it also seals better. The suppleness of the Pro One is supposed to be better than the Hutchinson but I can't really tell any difference.

Stop. Using. Stan's.

Orange Seal is better in just about every metric. It's easier to work with, it seals better and it lasts a lot longer before drying up. I'm experimenting with Slime ATR in my rear tire. The liquid latex portion seems promising, though the 'web fibers' might have a clumping issue (not a really big deal.)

That's right. From everything I read, Orange Seal is the way to go. Are you mixing Slime with something else? I saw a MTB tyre test where Slime was the first one to fail.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

possibleweenie wrote:
That's right. From everything I read, Orange Seal is the way to go. Are you mixing Slime with something else? I saw a MTB tyre test where Slime was the first one to fail.

That was a previous version of Slime. This new Slime ATR stuff seems wildly different. It is thiiick, seems to be fast acting when squeezed through tight spaces, but the "coagulant" fibers they add may or may not actually be useful. Anyway this isn't a formal test and I haven't had any punctures to seal lately.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just an FYI since you're all talking about sealants etc. I use Orange Seal (Regular). I use it on my road bikes running tubular tires. I only put in in when I puncture, and use about 15ml. That way, if I'm lucky enough to get quite a few miles on the tire and retire it before even one puncture (and still in reasonable shape), I can use it for a spare to carry with me in the future. Couldn't do that if it was filled with sealant.
Here's something I'm not sure everyone is aware of with Orange Seal... there are three versions of the stuff... Regular, Extreme, and Cold Weather.
So, ignoring the cold weather stuff, one might think the "Extreme" stuff is the best, simply due to the name, and it must have the best sealing properties. Not quite, the Regular version has the best sealing characteristics, and the "Extreme" is simply a formulation that will last longer when in the tire as a liquid. So, for me, the Regular is what I take with me on rides and use in the event of a puncture as a first course of action. In the event it doesn't work, I always have a spare with me, which I rarely need, unless I didn't bring it. Funny how that works.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It's not called Extreme. It's called Endurance because it's less viscous and stays fluid longer.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, my mistake... Endurance, not Extreme.... stays fluid longer but the best sealing characteristics are still obtained from the Regular version. And the "Cold Weather" version isn't really called that either, but something else. I just knew there were three versions and at the time I picked up the "Endurance" version (all that was on the shelf) I thought "ok, this must be the latest and greatest" and thought they had just relabeled the regular stuff like so often happens.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

ymisyd

by ymisyd

To the OP - it's not the sealant that's the problem, it's the tyre (namely the Schwalbe Pro One). They just won't hold the sealant when they puncture and, even if they do, it's a ticking time bomb as to when that "sealed" puncture will blow again - sometimes whilst the bike is just sat in the house/garage.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

One idea is to press your thumb over the hole.
I had a G-One tire puncture (35 mm), no extreme pressure (about 38 psi), but it did not seal at all.
I used Stans standard sealant.
Now i run Zero flats. I have tried many sealants, but i have no idea which is best.
I guess that is noted first when a puncture actually happens (Duh, smart dude :-D)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

ymisyd wrote:To the OP - it's not the sealant that's the problem, it's the tyre (namely the Schwalbe Pro One). They just won't hold the sealant when they puncture and, even if they do, it's a ticking time bomb as to when that "sealed" puncture will blow again - sometimes whilst the bike is just sat in the house/garage.

exactly my experience. Installed tubeless Pro Ones for the first time and went for a ride. At the end of the ride, the tire pressure seemed to be slightly lower, than what i started with. Closer inspection at home showed a tiny hole and white marks indicated, that the Doc blue did its job.
Half an hour later, the bike was hanging on the wall, i hear the the typical pffffff of a puncture and see sealant coming out of the tire. Could never get the sealant to close the hole again and bought a new Pro one.
Which i'm running with a tube now, because it wouldn't inflate and seat onto the rim. Tried compressor, Booster, soap water, no soap water, new rim tape, everything, but nothing works. Air blows by all around the rim. The first pair, i installed without problems, using a track pump.

Schwalbe is known for quality problems and i think the Pro One is just another example showing poor manufacturing tolerances. That their "own" sealant doesn't work with the tire adds to that.