Miche Supertype aluminium cassettes - 1,100 mi (1,700km) life!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

I'm 60kg and have an FTP of ca 210W. Thought I'd be most likely to get satisfactory performance from what is obviously a risky sprocket material proposition.

Bottom line: 1,100 miles (1,700 km) and it is useless. Continually slips from the 13 sprocket - which shows a couple of teeth rounded off.

The Super Record is back on and all is well. And explains the logic of steel in small cog sizes.

To be fair, I treated it as an experiment, and if you can Franken up a mixed steel/ali then it will probably be OK.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

miche alloy parts are subpar by any standards.

chainrings wear rapidly, cassette freehub bodies are destroyed by steel cogs, and even their steel cassettes last roughly the third of genuine shimano or campag cassettes.

avoid miche by any means.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Not bad for a "hill climb event" component though.

colster

by colster

Par for the course really with a WW cassette vs Campag, although now being on my 2nd Supertype cassette I found I got about 4000km's before needing replacing. However I do hold onto my old Campag cassette just in case i ever break a tooth.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My miche steel cassettes last several thousand miles. The miche hubs I use last 10,000 of miles. the freehub dont get chewed up by miche steel sprockets ( I am a low cadence rider as well). I sell lots of these things and use them on my bikes. There chainrings do work well too.

Campag cassettes wear out for me as quickly as miche ones and so do shimano, so I got with miche as I get ratio's I cant get with the other two brands.

the miche supertype cassettes though did not last for me. I dont sell them. Mine skipped from day one and that why I wont sell one.

Multebear

by Multebear

bm0p700f wrote:
The miche hubs I use last 10,000 of miles. the freehub dont get chewed up by miche steel sprockets

Must disagree with this. My Miche freehub get chewed up very fast. I use shimano cassettes. And the Miche freehub body is soft like butter. On both my wheelsets with Miche hubs...

Hellgate

by Hellgate

I used Regina aluminum freewheels back in the day. IIRC the 16T was the first to go. But, it served me well in Wyoming and Utah classics. Uber clean a good lube was the key to getting 500 miles out of one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

quit worrying about weight and work on your fitness.... 200w is barely turning the pedals (no offence)

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Walt: 210 watts (not 200 as you wrote) at 60 kg is 3.5 watts per kilogram, which is somewhere between a strong Cat IV and a decent Cat III. Do you sneer at anyone weaker than a Cat II?

You've certainly got the legs for sneering, according to your own posts. You claim you casually crank out an impressive 5.3 watts per kilo, and assert that you hit that number in your second season of riding a bicycle:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=146424&p=1338637#p1338637

That makes you a solid Cat II (in the US system). Good for you! I used to be a Cat II, but that was a long time ago; now I'm fat and slow. It took me a long, long time to get that fit...I was a junior, and I happen to be the exact same racing age as George Hincapie. He was easily the fastest junior on the east coast, and even making about 5.3 watts per kilo, it was all I could do to hang onto his wheel. And that was after I had been racing for six years!

You hit that number in your second season? Well, damn! You're a prodigy! Surely you're weeks away from dropping Nairo Quintana on the climbs and Tony Martin on the flats. Promise me you'll wave to me when you win at Ventoux, OK?

A friend of mine, a US Army Ranger (special forces, but low-level special forces) once laid this nugget of wisdom on me: the guys who talk about it didn't do it, and the guys who did it don't talk about it. He was referring to commando raids and things like that, but I think it applies to bike racing too: if you really are a rising star in the amateur ranks (as 5.3 W/kg after two years strongly implies) you wouldn't feel the need to piss on some random Cat III on an internet forum. You'd be too busy recovering from today's Breckenridge stage of the Colorado Classic to waste your time on Weight Weenies.

You're either not as fast as you claim to be or way more insecure than anyone has a right to be. Or maybe both (no offense).

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Walt-
Do you know the difference between FTP/CP60 and CP20?
You've told us your CP20 w/kg in the linked training thread,and dissing this guys approx. 1hr power.
Is your FTP at a similar stellar level?
Light people cannot bang out huge wattage ratios, and don't need to.
I don't think I've ever banged out 5w/kg even for 20 mins and I'm definitely not slow.

Back on topic- Miche cassettes are crap. Light or not, if their unrideable as mine was (chain wouldn't mesh under any power) then they're not fit for purpose.
Official cafe stop tester

glepore

by glepore

youngs_modulus wrote:Walt: 210 watts (not 200 as you wrote) at 60 kg is 3.5 watts per kilogram, which is somewhere between a strong Cat IV and a decent Cat III. Do you sneer at anyone weaker than a Cat II?

You've certainly got the legs for sneering, according to your own posts. You claim you casually crank out an impressive 5.3 watts per kilo, and assert that you hit that number in your second season of riding a bicycle:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=146424&p=1338637#p1338637

That makes you a solid Cat II (in the US system). Good for you! I used to be a Cat II, but that was a long time ago; now I'm fat and slow. It took me a long, long time to get that fit...I was a junior, and I happen to be the exact same racing age as George Hincapie. He was easily the fastest junior on the east coast, and even making about 5.3 watts per kilo, it was all I could do to hang onto his wheel. And that was after I had been racing for six years!

You hit that number in your second season? Well, damn! You're a prodigy! Surely you're weeks away from dropping Nairo Quintana on the climbs and Tony Martin on the flats. Promise me you'll wave to me when you win at Ventoux, OK?

A friend of mine, a US Army Ranger (special forces, but low-level special forces) once laid this nugget of wisdom on me: the guys who talk about it didn't do it, and the guys who did it don't talk about it. He was referring to commando raids and things like that, but I think it applies to bike racing too: if you really are a rising star in the amateur ranks (as 5.3 W/kg after two years strongly implies) you wouldn't feel the need to piss on some random Cat III on an internet forum. You'd be too busy recovering from today's Breckenridge stage of the Colorado Classic to waste your time on Weight Weenies.

You're either not as fast as you claim to be or way more insecure than anyone has a right to be. Or maybe both (no offense).

+1/ 60kg here, and totally agree.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Aluminum cassette.. was such made for extended use? No...obviously.

Doubt it was heat treated... ?? Run a file over a edge not worn.. how hard is this cassette? Made for incidental use............... dahh.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

waltthizzney wrote:quit worrying about weight and work on your fitness.... 200w is barely turning the pedals (no offence)

How helpful and wise.

FWIW that's 3.5W/kg which I don't think is quite the rubbish you suggest, nor would the couple of KOMs I hold - for an old git as well with a RHR of 55.

RJKflyer

by RJKflyer

WinterRider wrote:Aluminum cassette.. was such made for extended use? No...obviously.

Doubt it was heat treated... ?? Run a file over a edge not worn.. how hard is this cassette? Made for incidental use............... dahh.

Agree - it was as I say a bit of an experiment as I did get it at a decent discount. However, still think it's worn a bit quick given my clearly very modest ability.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Multebear how much gouging?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com