Cracked Brand New Emonda :-(

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

You don't actually get the mast with the frameset. It's a separate purchase. I chose the buy the SLR version!

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I did it on my 2014 Madone6... I was not original owner of frame... so trek said pound sand :)... I carbon repaired it myself with multiple layers on the inside.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

Calnago wrote:Yes, certainly.... I understand. The clamp itself is smooth. But when it's mounted on the double slotted seat mast, the barrels seem to wanted to push right down on the edges of the two slits, so it's actually the edges of the two slits that I believe creates a stress point on the mast itself. This one seems to have cracked in the same place as the other one, which appears to be right where one of the slits is.

Ok; thanks for explaining. Looking at the single-slot cap and the original clamp, the clamp lines up with the slot edges. This is what I suspect caused cracking in the original design.

If the two-barrel clamp lines up with the edges of the double-slot clamp, that may well have caused the same problem with the new design. The rounded portion of the two-barrel clamp would help spread clamping force over the a large-ish area on cap, but using that clamp with the two-slot cap may effectively cause exactly the same problem as using the conventional clamp with the one-slot clamp.

In other words, it may be that the one-slot cap works with the barrel clamp and not the conventional one, while the two-slot clamp works with the conventional clamp and not the barrel clamp.

At any rate, I'm eager to hear what Trek's warranty department has to say.

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

I've spoken to the shop who in turn spoke to Trek. The warranty is registered but not confirmed. Shop is pretty certain they will warranty it.

No explanation yet to the cause.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TobinHatesYou wrote:I did not get the weight weenie seatmast cap with my 2018 Project One Emonda SLR. I got the single-slot version.

I did. You didn't miss much (9g).

Dyork

by Dyork

Geordiepaul wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm
I've spoken to the shop who in turn spoke to Trek. The warranty is registered but not confirmed. Shop is pretty certain they will warranty it.

No explanation yet to the cause.
This just happened to me today. I ordered the sl10 mast because the stock one was too short. What did trek say/do?

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

Replaced the frame and seat post with the non slr one. Been fine since

rwlinda

by rwlinda

Ah, such a frustrating issue. I assumed Trek had figured this one out by now. I've had my 2014 Madone frame replaced 3 times because of this. Waranteed each time. Got the SLR frane last week, with the SL seatmast. Torqued it to the max 8Nm and seat keeps sliding down when riding. Went back to the shop as I didn't want to ruin this frame by going over 8Nm. They're gonna have their Trek expert look at it and possibly send the bike back to Trek. Really, after over 5 years of development of this frame/seatmast construction, the issue is still there. 😳

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

happened with a Madone6... I was second owner so expected and got "pound sand" from Trek. Carbon repaired my self on the inside..been good for a couple years. I've ridden it a few times but it's my wife bike and she's only like 100lbs
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

alcatraz

by alcatraz

If you have to go over 5nm on a m5 bolt on carbon I'd rather turn to carbon paste or even a few drops of loctite.

sennder

by sennder

The seat mast cap on my Domane SLR kept sliding at ~6-7Nm as well. I added a generous amount of carbon paste and no more sliding.

rwlinda

by rwlinda

My lbs contacted Trek about the issue and Trek mentioned they've changed their paint process, which makes the surface of the frame very smooth/slippery. So, they suggested to use some sand paper and roughen the inside of the seatmast, use carbon paste and of necessary, roughen up the frame as well. As of now my lbs did the seatmast and paste and sais this fixes the issue. I'll pick up the bike soon as test it myself. Quite surprised the paint is the issue and I really wonder how Trek test their products before making them available for the public.
They did mention they could roughen the frame beforehand, but they don't like the aestetics of it. Hmm, I prefer a solid contruction over aestetics at all times....

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

i guess regular seatpost is not good enough for trek?